Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#8311 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

If its the one I remember, its the amp we listened to on the Sunday?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ant
Shed dweller

#8312 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Its the amp that was on the table that collapsed at owston dumping it in the floor. He (quite literally) kicked the output transformer on it straight then put the valves in it. Built as monos on 2 guitar amp chassis, an ancient Allen bradley carbon track pot on each chassis for volume, single input on the side. Looked horrible, didnt sound horrible. The one that got bent never sat straight on its feet again
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8313 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yep, that's the one. One indeed ended up on the floor on the Saturday when I was setting up. :roll:
I"d forgotten about that incident. Luckily there were no valves in it when that happened.
On the Saturday it kicked ass with Steve Hillage's System7 Techno project and some Tony Joe White through my then new big Mets.
On the Sunday I think it was playing through James Quasars some of the time with Save Me by Joan Armatrading and caused a few
misty eyes. Yes It had the fat bottle 12HG7s at the time. It had suffered from RF when first built. Nick advised on how to stop that happening.
God, it was good. :banghead:
I'm searching my backups now.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
steve s
Shed dweller

#8314 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

You will be wanting some of those valves back Steve? would be good to compare your nva amp to a little vintage set magic...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8315 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:13 pm You will be wanting some of those valves back Steve? would be good to compare your nva amp to a little vintage set magic...
Unfortunately Steve, the 6B4Gs are long since sold. I think you might have the fat bottle 12HG7s, but I no longer have the James SE transformers.
It would take a fair bit of dosh to resurrect the design. But the motivation has returned, so it may come to pass next year and be built by the next Owston, if I can get hold of the components.
I still have all the rectifiers and regulator tubes as you didn't need those. Fortuitous maybe? :wink:
Ant
Shed dweller

#8316 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

you can use the 5k output tx's off the el34. i dont need them
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8317 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Yes the music as described, one of the great set-ups we had on a Sunday. Everything sounded the best I've ever heard it. Think we had Nick's jFet/valve phono amp in that, too.
I have the same sort of Sylvania 1953 6B4G's here upstairs, Steve, you can at the very least loan them, poss have a pair of you need.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8318 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:52 pm I have the same sort of Sylvania 1953 6B4G's here upstairs, Steve, you can at the very least loan them, poss have a pair of you need.
That would be great Mark. :D
ed
retired

#8319 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

whoopee I'm back, how to compare mother in law to all this rain.....or indeed to a summers day...

hair shirt anyone?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
steve s
Shed dweller

#8320 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

ed wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:50 am whoopee I'm back, how to compare mother in law to all this rain.....or indeed to a summers day...

hair shirt anyone?
Thats a hard one ed.. we go to France and leave the mother in law at home.. (3 weeks escape this time)... Bit more difficult for you..
Is the weather bad back home?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
ed
retired

#8321 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:11 pm
Is this forum big enough for what the Cuckoo is adding or will it change so much as to be nearly unrecognizable from the ridiculousness of AoS? The Cuckoo has found a home here after all. It might become a gargantuan battle between MCRUS (love the explanation of the name) and NVA (really very stupid and pretentious name - no, not 'Nene Valley Audio'...) I'm not throwing my toys out of my pram and stamping off- the valves would crash, and break after all and perhaps I am marginalizing myself, 's'pose I will go away eventually.

As that film critic whose name, like many things, (who died fairly recently) apparently never actually said, '...and why not?'
This popped into my head courtesy of word association or somesuch

Better stop dreaming of the quiet life, 'cause it's the one we'll never know
And quit running for that runaway bus 'cause those rosy days are few
And stop apologizing for the things you've never done
'Cause time is short and life is cruel but it's up to us to change…

It's a broad church

personally I'm not the least interested in commercial offerings, in the last 15 years I think I've improved my way of listening to the music even if I've alienated a lot of people by banging on about the folly of listening to equipment rather than the music. I have subscribed to a few 'off the shelf' sources and will admit that the discussion of such has improved the content and interest here.

but generally

veni vidi didici

Having said that I do see the world in the way I think Andrew does, divide it up into factions then everybody can pick and choose where they want to play....'the cuckoo' has his faction offering whatever it was/is offering and AT was a faction generally offering DIY, and all the others offering their own flavours. Now I can see some viewing AT as a bland melange of stuff, not quite as attractive to some. A bit like having meatballs and spinache on one plate and carrots and parsnips on another plate, then adding the two plates together and mixing it up into a grey stodge. which is more attractive? Maybe that's how those missing in action have seen it.

for me at the moment there is alternative driver technology and SITs and power jfets to occupy my diy itch and in the future I will probably have more rewarding discussions about these on diyaudio...as I said, a broad church.
Nick
Site Admin

#8322 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Maybe that's how those missing in action have seen it.
TBH, I think those who have gone wanted it their way or no way. Simple as that.
for me at the moment there is alternative driver technology and SITs and power jfets to occupy my diy itch and in the future I will probably have more rewarding discussions about these on diyaudio...as I said, a broad church.
Of course everyone is free to do as they will, but both you and Andrew have said that this place is all about DIY, any other is out of place, and then mentioned how you had been doing DIY that you never talked about here.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#8323 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hmmm not sure I said that Nick. I.e. I didn't.

And why on earth should anyone have to say what they've been getting up to like some sort of diornevercouldspellitrheaaa. Mark's fabulous epic for example gets it right. It works! The Cuckoo's paranoia....nah, not really.

I never get to hear about what you do unless it's indirect and I am sure that isn't modesty on your part....well, it could be - who knows.

Different way of seeing things thats all - broad church.

If the Cuckoo is allowed his poisonous monotony then my/our gentle off beat peculiar odd even weird ( to some perhaps boring) way of expressing how we see things could be tolerated too dont you think.

I may have burned myself on a soldering iron this morning and I may have caught up on a fascinating documentary about how the history of art has been ridiculously skewed by the bloody Italians and bizarrely had to explain cancer in general and brain tumours, particularly blastomas specifically, over a coffee, even more odd, and having popped into my local guitar shop and told whoever was playing to stop a beautiful rendition of Debussy on the Roland piano because I've mastered stairway to heaven only to find that the pianist was as beautiful as her playing and she was still vitally interested in talking to me about pianos... but it isn't that interesting to many here so I won't even though most of all that but by no means quite all is about music. It seems that havin retired I'm more busy than ever I was and these sort of things just happen Im glad to say. If Neil hadnt come round and asked me to check out his latest guitar amp (the tremelo circuit isnt working - duff oscillator valve maybe) I might have stayed in and got really depressed.

I'm off to bed.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#8324 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

And why on earth should anyone have to say what they've been getting up to like some sort of diornevercouldspellitrheaaa.
Yes, I agree Andrew, as I just said everyone is free to do what they want, but I think its rather contradictory to then expect this place to stay "and AT was a faction generally offering DIY if no one talks about DIY.

My point was if this place is becoming/has become something you don't like, then you can either:

1. Mutter and grumble and stomp off
2. Mutter and grumble and stay here muttering and grumbling
3. Try and make it the place you want it to be, don't just expect others to keep it as you want with no effort on your part.

As has been pointed out, this is a place on the internet, it doesn’t have to be one thing or the other, it can be both at once. Or many at once.
I may have burned myself on a soldering iron this morning and I may have caught up on a fascinating documentary about how the history of art has been ridiculously skewed by the bloody Italians and bizarrely had to explain cancer in general and brain tumours, particularly blastomas specifically, over a coffee, even more odd, and having popped into my local guitar shop and told whoever was playing to stop a beautiful rendition of Debussy on the Roland piano because I've mastered stairway to heaven only to find that the pianist was as beautiful as her playing and she was still vitally interested in talking to me about pianos... but it isn't that interesting to many here so I won't even though most of all that but by no means quite all is about music. It seems that havin retired I'm more busy than ever I was and these sort of things just happen Im glad to say. If Neil hadnt come round and asked me to check out his latest guitar amp (the tremelo circuit isnt working - duff oscillator valve maybe) I might have stayed in and got really depressed.
I must point out you did drive someone away (who is a nice guy BTW) on the basis of you regarding his user name as preconscious.
ed
retired

#8325 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:19 pm
Of course everyone is free to do as they will, but both you and Andrew have said that this place is all about DIY, any other is out of place, and then mentioned how you had been doing DIY that you never talked about here.

wait a minute...I'm sure I'm being picky here but how does
and AT was a faction generally offering DIY,
even approximate to this place is all about DIY?

or maybe you're referring to something else I posted, but even so thats a tad disingenuous