Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9766 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Hmmm! :D

Meanwhile - seeing lots of dragonflies lately - and I mean LOTS.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9767 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

I saw this latest scare story on the BBC about the dangers of even small amounts of alcohol , today ( 'health professional should recommend that everyone be teetotal' ) .
Then I looked up Liam Clancy on Wikipedia this evening after watching some of the Bob Dylan 'No direction home' DVD - he died at the age of 74. Then I felt a bit better !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9768 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Of course everyone has forgotten that not very long ago it was still too dangerous to drink water, unless it was guaranteed straight out of a spring or wherever, hence high up on my list of the greatest human discoveries is brewing beers and wines with yeast. A. it's boiled during the process; B. the alcohol acts as a disinfectant so remains safe to drink later. And all that without knowing germs existed!

I haven't forgotten about how the people in the 'poor quarter' of Haworth (where the Bronte sisters grew up) perished 'cause their well was contaminated by what got washed out of the graves into it from the cemetery further up the hill - yeeech!! Mega gross .. Image

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9769 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Line of unrelated context demarcation.

20 kg of red hot steel versus frozen lake - which will win? :D

-

Neal
Shed dweller

#9770 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Just fitted some double led strip lights in the garage for a bit more light. Blooming heck! It’s more like daylight in there now! Seriously impressed. 8)
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9771 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:40 pm Just fitted some double led strip lights in the garage for a bit more light. Blooming heck! It’s more like daylight in there now! Seriously impressed. 8)
Do you have a link to the supplier please?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

#9772 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Got them from my local electrical wholesale shop Phil so won’t help you but they are these ones, part number 10218

http://www.belllighting.co.uk/fittings/ ... IP20Batten
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9773 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Yeah my kitchen and dining room have spot light bulbs for the ceilings, originally 40W halogen each. 4 in the kitchen, 3 in the dining room. Tho when couldn't get 40W any more last tenants started putting in 25W ones. So I had a mish-mash of bulbs and one duff one. Replaced the lot with exact equiv. fitting LED spotlights, 5W each. Bluddy hell on first test I had to immediately switch it off and take two out of the kitchen array, too blinding otherwise. Just two is plenty bright enough. Ditto dining the room. :shock:

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9774 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I've just ordered a 4ft LED replacement tube for my kitchen light and some LED bulbs for the living room wall lamps.

Let there be light. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#9775 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

Yep, LED is the way to go, especially over short lived expensive halogens. More lumins from units that will (probably) outlive you and me and cost a fraction to run. I went from a total of 500W halogen to 70W with LED, and now even lower, as the performance of LED’s has got even better so you might want to consider buying newer items if you want to improve the light in your room. I’ve just bought in some new ones for increased light output in our kitchen. The current ones work fine, but more light is a benefit for us. I’ll pass the originals on to my son who can make good use of them.
Baggy Trousers
User

#9776 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Baggy Trousers »

I'm waiting for them to produce a headlight bulb with a decent beam pattern.
Last of the late brakers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9777 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

I'm sure someone is working on it. :D

Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#9778 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Thermionic Idler »

I must admit I've been holding out up until very recently with halogens, and some pearl incandescent bulbs that I stockpiled just before the last lightbulb ban in 2009. Light quality is very important to me, and the only real alternatives back then were were CFL's (or halogens). I never came across any brand of CFL that I didn't passionately hate - you could barely see anything until the damned things had warmed up, the light quality was awful, they looked hideous, and were a health hazard if broken. I simply refused to have them in the house.

That's all changed recently with the latest crop of 'filament' LED bulbs - with the ban on halogens coming in I decided to give them a try, with some decorative globe bulbs in the living room light fixtures and golf ball types in the tiffany lamps. I had tried LED bulbs before but still found them a bit dim and cold. The filament types are much, much better. They actually look like proper lightbulbs, they are much simpler electronically so don't need that ugly plastic casing (no cheap electrolytic caps to fail either) and as far as I can tell, the light quality is virtually indistinguishable from the halogens.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#9779 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

We returned from a walk the other evening only to find the front door woukdn't open and no back door key with us - had no option but to break into the house. I had to break a small window (cheapest to replace I reasoned) so I could reach to open a bigger window so I could climb in - fortunately I had the garage key with me to get tools and a step ladder.

The front door is a uPVC type with a hanfle you operate to engage the bolts. A quick Google indicated that the 'gearbox' that operates the bolts had failed.

Anyway, had a locksmith out the next day; he had the door open in about 30secs. and confirmed it was said gearbox. Less than an hour later it was all fixed and adjusted and my wallet was noticably lighter. Talking to the locksmith it seems he makes a good income from replacing these mechanisms (which is why he had spare ones in his van).

The chap also told me that the original 'made in the UK' mechanisms had ceased production years ago and because of the demand for them a glazing company had sent one to China to be cloned so that's where they come from now. Apparently the Chinese spotted a design fault that caused the failures and made a modification to fix that too.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ant
Shed dweller

#9780 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Had the opposite problem with ours, i.e it wouldn't lock. Lifting the handle didn't lift the 2 pins which meant it wouldn't disengage the pin that stops the key turning.
Had to just have the chain on the door that night and hope the dogs alerted me if some scrote tried to get in......
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com