Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10471 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Why on earth are you still using Windows 8.1 ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#10472 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Windows 8. The work of the devil I tell ye.
Neal
Shed dweller

#10473 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Started to notice small piles of sawdust on my car when parked up in the garage. One or two at first and then a lot more. Uh oh....woodworm. Closer inspection and the little blighters are feasting on a cross support beam and the roof. Sprayed the infected areas and areas adjacent with woodworm treatment from screwfix and no more sawdust this morning just lots of dead woodworm all over the floor and car! Think I’ll treat the rest of the roof today to make sure I get the all the little devils.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10474 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Anyone here know about designing a mobile PV setup - I've been handed an IC-BP3000-24 controller, six LSLC42-12 12v deep cycle batteries and five big PV panels on stands...

My local beekeeping group have given me the job of building this into a mobile setup that we can take to local shows (don't ask why!). Everything has to fit in the back of an estate car.

My initial idea is to put the batteries wired as 3x24v in parallel on a piece of 18mm ply with casters and handles (it'd be heavy). The controller and breakers etc. to be on another board which will mount on top of the battery board. It would also help if one or two of the battery pairs were easy to remove in cases where they're simply not needed.

Normal panel connectors are locking (MC4s), so can't be used. I'd also like the option of just using one or two panels in cases where we simply don't need 5!

Would really appreciate input on this. Types of breakers, connectors, cable size etc.

Ta!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
chris661
Shed dweller

#10475 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by chris661 »

Nice pile of kit to play with.

I think your plan is sensible. 2 batteries in series, 3x groups in parallel would give the 24v the controller is intended to work with.
However, I don't know if the 3x groups will need any special treatment to avoid them interacting. If one battery fails, it might end up reverse-charged by the others.

Worth a phone call - the first website (Photonic Universe) that turned up for that controller also sells batteries and other accessories, and they have a contact number.

Chris
Neal
Shed dweller

#10476 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Sprayed the rest of the garage, it’s nearly a triple length garage and full of junk, anyhow seem to have got more of them. The spray works incredibly quickly. Need a trophy cabinet!

Holes and a bug trying to escape

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
shane
Social outcast

#10477 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

First trip this year.

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ant
Shed dweller

#10478 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Bloody rain.
Need to sort something so I can work outside when it's like this...
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10479 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Ant wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:00 pm Bloody rain.
Need to sort something so I can work outside when it's like this...
Just put up a gazebo so son and I can work on the workshop in inclement weather.

Workshop now emptied, carpets and underlay removed. Alarm wiring, old BT cabling etc. all gone.

Massive bonfire of redundant stuff. Tomorrow the real fun begins when we get out the pry bars and take down the wall, lift the floors and cut out all the joists...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10480 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Major major rot in the old early Victorian walls.

My "Shed" was a gardener's bothy from around 1810 - around the walls a row of bricks on the inner course had been replaced by 3" x 4" oak timbers...

On the surface, these look rough but ok. Using a Fein multi-tool, I took a slice out of one row, and it's completely rotten - only the top 1" - 2" is left...

So, I've started removing this and am going to replace it with bricks... but these are imperial sized bricks and are bedded with lime mortar...

To add insult to injury, the vertical damp course on the rear wall is compromised and also needs replacing, i.e. stripping, re-tanking, then plastering.

Annoyingly I ordered all the timber today - C24 joists, hangers and a lot of P5 22mm waterproof T&G. This is now going to sit round for another week while the rest of this crap is sorted out.

One brighter moment - TLC sell a complete IP65 consumer unit for 42 quid. Very nice it is too!
Max N
Old Hand

#10481 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Max N »

If you get a chance to post some photos it would be much appreciated. I fear that my shed is going to require major structural work soon - although not quite on the same scale as yours. Reading your posts is making me feel a bit less daunted....
Ant
Shed dweller

#10482 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Finally got myself another dynavector cart.
I got a nos dv20a2.
I had an a2 years ago, then a 10x3 and a 10x5, and a karat 23r when I was using moving coils. They all did something I like, and when Nigel got me to build the g99 with the karmadon arm he supplied a dv20x2 which rekindled the dynavector 'thing'
I am very very tempted to get another 20a2 or a b2, same thing with a beryllium cantilever and send it off to Nat and Dom to get a paratrace stylus on it.
The a2 is utterly lovely on the jvc, my at150s are on the lenco and AT1100, and Paul's 301 with the audiomods arm.
Nice to have a choice of what to play stuff on even though it is a pain in the arse to house them all
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
chris661
Shed dweller

#10483 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by chris661 »

Finally got the 8" speakers up and running. After a while playing with the HF level, it's sounding pretty good.

Pictures coming soon.

Chris
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10484 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Just back from 10 days camping, Redmarley D'Abitot (nr Ledbury), Buttington (nr Welshpool) then Hanley Swan (nr Malvern).

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10485 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Max N wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:46 pm If you get a chance to post some photos it would be much appreciated. I fear that my shed is going to require major structural work soon - although not quite on the same scale as yours. Reading your posts is making me feel a bit less daunted....
Will do - phone dead - just got the new IP65 CU in and removed old cabling. Power now back on so can continue with work. Rotten timbers removed from wall - need to re-fill void with imperial bricks & a lights render covering.

Next electrical job is refurbing the surge/lightning barrier - it's been in for 15 years so I'm replacing the MOVs and spark gaps.

Just received the quote from the MOV manufacturer :shock: SIXTY FOUR QUID EACH! (and there are three...)

Main problem is the damp.