Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12436 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

I just bought a new doorbell for my mother from a seller in Liverpool and within minutes get a cheery message from a guy in Hong Kong, that he's sent it.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#12437 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Did you look at the seller's 'legal information' before you ordered? It nearly always tells you where the seller really is based. Sometimes the mail gets delivered surprisingly speedily... sometimes.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ant
Shed dweller

#12438 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

I ordered a computer chair for son no 1 2 weeks ago from a chap in manchester. Not registered as a business seller on ebay, it was dispatched same day. Yodel have still not recieved said chair even though it has a tracking number.

The dining chairs he has to sit on in front of the computer to do his schoolwork are hurting his back. Which makes him an even more moody sod.

Another hidden china purchase.

Up until the beginning of the year it didnt really matter if it was a 'stealth chinese' purchase, there was no issue with things arriving.
Now its a complete shitshow for anything coming into the country from anywhere.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Neal
Shed dweller

#12439 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

hope it doesn’t come from Europe or you might be in for a nasty shock!
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
andrew Ivimey

#12440 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Brexit - we got done!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#12441 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

there is a slimfast ad on the tv at the moment..it features larger ladies...
at the end of the ad there are three slogans to hook your memory..I can't remember 2 of them but the one I can remember says 'doable' with a backdrop of one of the larger ladies....

somebody has a sense of humour on the edge...

maybe it's my age
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12442 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:45 am ...somebody has a sense of humour on the edge...

maybe it's my age
Nope. Just a healthy warped sense of humour :D

I'm in week 5 (of 9) of the NHS Couch-to-5K program...

Anyone else doing (or done) this?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12443 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

I did more than 5K on Sunday, Nick. Just didn't leave the ground very much .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12444 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:17 pm I did more than 5K on Sunday, Nick. Just didn't leave the ground very much .
Chicken!

Due to do next session tomorrow but just had a 'flu jab and not feeling too brilliant...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12445 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Pfffffffffffffftttttttttttt!

Man-up!

<goes back to stuffing Bombay Mix into face> :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey

#12446 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I know the hidden sellers of eBay is pissy and all but again, check the seller's business address if supplied and legal info too. And then read a few feedback postings. It will soon become apparent in the feedback if nowhere else that the seller is in fact in Tierra del Fuego, Hong Kong or ..... instead of Buddley Salterton or London.

I set off to buy a USB3 stick the other day. There is a huge market if forged actually 32gig memory sticks that are being sold as 1Tb or even 2Tb!!!!! It may be possible that 2Tb of memory can be held reliably on a USB stick. But is it????? I don't know. Having 'stablished that a particularly interesting USB stick from a UK seller was 256Gig for £27-95, and by no means the only seller to be marketing such, was the right one for me I bought, paypalled and waited two days till one dropped through my letter box.

Then I filled it up with 256gig of stuff; music and photos and sure enough it filled 249+gig of the stick. Then randomly I picked files and tried to open them and all seems to be retrievable. I did not try all and would have liked to open the last files on the stick if that would make a difference, but I don't know about this. I noticed that a format would only give e 232gig; why not 249+? and that was 'exfat' not NTFS but would that make a difference? Would a Mac formatting recover the missing part of the memory?

After formatting the stick I'll fill it again, wipe again and then begin to trust it. To me a usb stick with 256gig is phenomenal but that might be because I'm a bit behind the class in this sort of thing.

Can anyone throw light on this situation, please. 232gig ain't bad is it but......
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12447 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

You could format the stick using the disk utility, as “MacOS Extended Journaled” which is the standard Mac formatting setup.
Whether it would increase the capacity of the stick, I don’t know.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12448 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

You'll always lose 10% or so - the physical size of the drive is always greater than the logical (formatted usable space) due to the overhead of the file system metadata, regardless of the actual on-disk format (NTFS, FAT32, EXT4 or whatever).
andrew Ivimey

#12449 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yes I've noted that with more modern usb sticks, fairy nuff then. But can you really get such huge memory in something so tiny? Are they reliable?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12450 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:24 pm Yes I've noted that with more modern usb sticks, fairy nuff then. But can you really get such huge memory in something so tiny? Are they reliable?
If from a reliable manufacturer, yes.

There's been a lot on this in the raspberry pi thread - basically, even though a stick may genuinely have the memory it says, there are different types of memory in use at differing price points.