Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
chris661
Shed dweller

#10456 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by chris661 »

I do like this amplifier. There's a button on the remote for each input, so there's no cycling through and trying to remember which one you're on. When you switch the input, you get a couple of little clicks as relays move around. It's all very satisfying.

Starting to wonder if I really need the big Crown amp now...

Chris
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10457 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Totally off topic...

We're big supporters of Fordhall Organic Farm near Market Drayton (we were one of the original 8,000 community owners). Our children have volunteered there and the farm is at the centre of the local community - over 20,000 visitors a year.

They are trying to raise funds to improve disabled access - £5,000 from the Calor community fund.

https://www.calor.co.uk/shop/communityf ... de-for-all

If you feel able, it'd be great if could lend some support by voting for the project!

Ta!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ant
Shed dweller

#10458 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Just won a dual EDS 1000 direct drive motor on ebay.
Comes with the associated platter, psu and controls, I reckon I can do something pretty special with it.

Been after a good dd motor for ages to do a one off for myself and this particular motor has been the one I've been after. I looked at the phainn kits that appear to be a Chinese made one that is used in the cheap audio technica decks and some other modern decks but didn't go for them as I thought they were abit weedy in terms of torque (we like torque) and the matsushita mkl type like my jbe (and some Kenwood and technics models have) but the cost of buying a donor is somewhat inflated because the majority say technics on them. Or Kenwood.

happened upon this one, a few days ago and decided I must have it.
A very interesting motor in terms of construction too. Designed by dual in conjunction with papst and manufactured by papst. Can't get much better than papst, maybe Maxon are but not on my budget.....
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10459 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Sounds very interesting. Was this just supplied as a motor and platter - because I can't get an image of a complete deck ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#10460 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

It was in the dual 701

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10461 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I was checking my "stock" of LT1083 regulator kits earlier.

I found two completed kits, and two bags of components (for a slightly different type) but without PCBs. So, did they come without PCBs, or have I mislaid them ? :oops:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10462 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Just got back from a camping trip in Essex (Moto Guzzi club Essex branch do) that's 3 times I've been to Essex in a week

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10463 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Mike H wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:13 pm Just got back from a camping trip in Essex (Moto Guzzi club Essex branch do) that's 3 times I've been to Essex in a week
Careful Mike, it could turn into a bad habit...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10464 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

I think I can safely say I've had a surfeit! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ant
Shed dweller

#10465 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

The dual motor arrived today, fired it up to check it was working and ran it with the platter on. Just stood on the table on its plastic base cover
There was no noise. None. It was absolutely silent. No vibrations or noises, no bearing noise, the bearing runs in an oil bath BTW, you can see the oil as the bath is clear plastic

I have never come across any motor that is as quiet as this one. It's uncanny.

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10466 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

AA breakdown cover renewal time once again.

Made the call and got a "special offer" of 12 months cover for 9 months payment.

NICE, even cheaper than last year. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P

#10467 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Ant wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:41 pm The dual motor arrived today, fired it up to check it was working and ran it with the platter on. Just stood on the table on its plastic base cover
There was no noise. None. It was absolutely silent. No vibrations or noises, no bearing noise, the bearing runs in an oil bath BTW, you can see the oil as the bath is clear plastic

I have never come across any motor that is as quiet as this one. It's uncanny.
Sounds impressive Ant, so long as you don't find its 'No vibrations or noises, no bearing noise, no rotation'! :lol:

Though I don't do vinyl anymore I'll be interested to see what you make of this.
Ray P

#10468 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:14 pm Totally off topic...
Is that possible in this thread?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10469 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

:) Well spotted !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
ed
retired

#10470 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

lots and lots of cursin and swearin here yesterday...sassenfrassencursinclaudehopper etc etc

The boss' laptop has been getting progressively slower and slower over the last couple of months and I couldn't find a reason, other than it's windows.....so I gallantly downloaded a fresh copy of win 8.1 from the microsoft site and a copy of office 2007...and ripped out the disc and inserted an ssd......

so far so good...except the connector for the largest ribbon cable broke it's keeper...so the ribbon wasn't held in too securely....anyway, put it all back together and the keyboard doesn't work.....you need a keyboard to enter the bios and respond to a virgin OS going in....Oh waily waily

Luckily she uses this laptop with an external keyboard(mainly so the small person doesn't wreck the laptop keyboard when playing games) so the rebuild was accomplished......

but the fact remains that there is no in-situ keyboard.

I'm thinking of confessing all down at the local pc World to see if they can fix such a problem....anybody else had this problem(internet land is full of stories of this happening so I don't feel like too much of a lemon)..

I only relate this because there's not much going on here and somebody might find it amusing....oh waily waily
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be