Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10021 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Been trying to find trimmer capacitors, like we used to be able to get. Go to the usual suppliers, hopeless. Yes lots of SMD but not suitable for what I want.

Go on eBay, bosh bosh, all done, less than 2 minutes. Most of that was saving to favourites and waiting for the next pages to load.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10022 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:08 pm Been trying to find trimmer capacitors, like we used to be able to get. Go to the usual suppliers, hopeless. Yes lots of SMD but not suitable for what I want.

Go on eBay, bosh bosh, all done, less than 2 minutes. Most of that was saving to favourites and waiting for the next pages to load.
I often use Ebay for bits and bobs, just be careful of counterfeit parts.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10023 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Of course. But one has to speculate to accumulate. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10024 Last Hurrah!

Post by jack »

Just had to share this.

Photo of my trusty Jeep from Monday this week, on the edge of the Rub' al Khali desert, also known as the Empty Quarter, close to the Saudi Border, 20km south of Mezairaa (in the al Liwa oasis). Just my wife and I and Stoffel, my Jeep. This'll be our last trip before I return to Blighty...

We left the road (if you can call it that, as we were already 100km into another desert) and drove about 15km across dunes and sabkha (salt flats) until we got to this spot at about 17:30. It's a new moon at the moment, so true darkness and a sky completely full of stars. Just millions, sharp and clear - no moisture in the atmosphere so no aberrations. Crystal sharp. And then the silence - so complete that you hear your own heartbeat and the sound of the blood moving through your ears.

Spent a couple of days out there. Can't go much further south at that point as there are oilfields that are a protected military area.

Next spring, a friend and I intend to drive right across the Rub' al Khali from Salalah in Oman, through Saudi Arabia, to Liwa in Abu Dhabi. This is about 550 miles of non-stop desert - the Rub' al Khali is the largest continuous sand desert in the world - it covers about 250,000 square miles/650,000 square km in total.

The object is to retrace the route taken by Wilfred Thesiger in 1946. And to have a lot of fun...

Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10025 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Fabulous. :thumbright:

That's a painting right there.

Picture file size is HUGE tho. :D

chris661
Shed dweller

#10026 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by chris661 »

Hi gents,

So I recently did some recording work with the University of Sheffield Brass Band (social media link which they've asked me to include: https://www.facebook.com/UoSBB/ )

I used a selection of nice mics, including a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930 as the main stereo pair, and then blended the other mics in to add a little more presence to any instruments/sections that I thought needed it.
The other mics were:
- 2x Audio Technica AT3035 for percussion spot mics
- 3x AKG C3000 (original version) for brass area & solo mics
- 2x MC930
- 1x Cadenza ribbon (recently worked over with a new ribbon and transformer) for the drum kit.

Here's a link to one of the tracks in .WAV format:

I'd like to make it clear that there's zero compression or EQ used here. Mics went into the desk, multi-track recorded, and then mixed down within the desk. The only processing was me setting the balance between the different mics.
Thought it might be interesting to some.

Chris
Ant
Shed dweller

#10027 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

just had a listen to that via some cans plugged into the mac used music player for google drive. that is a very nice piece of work chris

i like big band stuff and you've captured the ambience very very well

thanks for sharing that!

reminds me of how joe jackson recorded one of his albums in a hall using 2 mics and a couple of fill in mics in the same manner. forgot the name of that album but the recording quality on it is great. who needs processing!
Last edited by Ant on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10028 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Fab stuff Chris! :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10029 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Well done Chris, I liked that - a lot. :D

Having heard some quality brass bands live over the last few years (all Yorkshire based) I thought it was an excellent performance.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Baggy Trousers
User

#10030 Re: Last Hurrah!

Post by Baggy Trousers »

jack wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:56 am Just had to share this.

We left the road (if you can call it that, as we were already 100km into another desert) and drove about 15km across dunes and sabkha (salt flats) until we got to this spot at about 17:30. It's a new moon at the moment, so true darkness and a sky completely full of stars. Just millions, sharp and clear - no moisture in the atmosphere so no aberrations. Crystal sharp. And then the silence - so complete that you hear your own heartbeat and the sound of the blood moving through your ears.
I don't think it is possible to convey the magic of this night sky to someone who has not seen it. Nor the absolute and sometimes eerie silence which often attends it. The nearest I have got is to liken the heavens to a black velvet cloth studded with cut diamonds in an expensive jewellers brightly-lit showcase. And that doesn't come close.

Late at night, I stopped on the road from Ouled Jerrar to Tiznit, just to marvel at this extraordinary display - not a very sensible thing to do in Morocco forty years ago. I have never forgotten it. Seen many times at sea of course but that does not allow the extraordinary clarity of the Western Sahara. Thanks for the superb photo.

As a wholly unconnected aside, many years ago, I gave Ernest Thessiger a lift to the South Kensington underground.
Last of the late brakers.
ed
retired

#10031 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

looks like somebody's been spoiling you.....nice set of mics. I'm particularly envious of the 930, always wanted to find out what the noise was all about....

well done...good balance to my ears.

edit: posts overlapped, this was in response to Chris's post....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10032 Re: Last Hurrah!

Post by IslandPink »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:28 pm As a wholly unconnected aside, many years ago, I gave Ernest Thessiger a lift to the South Kensington underground.
Respect due if it was Wilfred, but could have been Ernest, fewer points !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10033 Re: Last Hurrah!

Post by jack »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:28 pm...Thanks for the superb photo.

As a wholly unconnected aside, many years ago, I gave Ernest Thessiger a lift to the South Kensington underground.
That's awesome. I never met him, though he called Hugh Carless, the best man at my parents wedding, a "pansy" !

Carless was travelling with Eric Newby in Nuristan (Northern Afghanistan) in 1958 when, sick and weak, he and Newby came across Thesiger who was travelling light and who had just performed critical surgery on a local, removing an infected eyeball with a penknife... (My father told me it was a penknife though Newby doesn't mention it)

They set up camp together, Thesiger unrolling a thin mat and sleeping on the rocky ground...at which point Newby and Carless started pumping up their airbeds, prompting Thesiger to call them "a couple of pansies"...

This is all documented in Newby's book, "A short walk in the Hindu Kush". The Guardian chose this passage in their obituary on Newby in 2006. It's worth a read :)

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2006 ... oks.escape
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10034 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

:thumbleft:

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10035 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Mystery object of the week ...
-
-
-
Exhibit 1...
Exhibit 1...
-
-