Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10801 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

I had the boxed game of that. As Harry Hill says, he still doesn't understand why there wasn't a picture of Magnus Magnussen on the front, instead some rich gambler type with a glamorous Chinese secretary.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#10802 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I've loaded a freeware basic interpreter
I was taught to program in the late 70's so you don't want to know my views on what damage BASIC can do you a young mind :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#10803 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:58 pm
I've loaded a freeware basic interpreter
I was taught to program in the late 70's so you don't want to know my views on what damage BASIC can do you a young mind :-)
Your views are probably exactly the same as mine on this issue......however, learning a programming language is not the aim here.....it was the simplest way I could think of to introduce boxes and their contents and generically what a program is. When he sees this I am confident he wont want to pursue programming at the moment. If he does want to pursue it then I'm sure I can dig out the necessary attitude.

he is in safe hands I can assure you. One thing I am quite proud of was when he extricated himself from wiki and asked 'who is Nicklaus Wirth?'
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#10804 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

he is in safe hands I can assure you. One thing I am quite proud of was when he extricated himself from wiki and asked 'who is Nicklaus Wirth?'
<DTB_Mode>Respeckt</DTB_Mode>
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10805 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:27 pm
<DTB_Mode>Respeckt</DTB_Mode>
Insert 'proud smiley' :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10806 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:36 pm I had the boxed game of that. As Harry Hill says, he still doesn't understand why there wasn't a picture of Magnus Magnussen on the front, instead some rich gambler type with a glamorous Chinese secretary.
Because it wasn't the same Mastermind and the TV programme didn't have the exclusive rights to the name - simples - even Harry Hill should be able to work that one out.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#10807 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

In work - we've just been looking at some Sentinel imagery of the Thames Estuary - in natural colour the sea off Dartford is a greeny brown colour!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10808 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:43 pm In work - we've just been looking at some Sentinel imagery of the Thames Estuary - in natural colour the sea off Dartford is a greeny brown colour!
OI! "Get orff moy SEA!" :lol:
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10809 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Ray P wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:40 pm
IslandPink wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:36 pm I had the boxed game of that. As Harry Hill says, he still doesn't understand why there wasn't a picture of Magnus Magnussen on the front, instead some rich gambler type with a glamorous Chinese secretary.
Because it wasn't the same Mastermind and the TV programme didn't have the exclusive rights to the name - simples - even Harry Hill should be able to work that one out.
I suspect Harry Hill's humour isn't quite your thing !
Ray P

#10810 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:21 pm I suspect Harry Hill's humour isn't quite your thing !
Irony?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10811 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Umm... who ?
No I just mean that it's not really necessary to explain to Harry Hill ( Matthew Hall ) - who has a medical degree - or myself, the mundane details of why the Mastermind game is not the same as Mastermind. The joke was him bringing that up at random in a stage show, when he knew the audience demographic and would have twigged that they, like him, remember being confused as a child getting a game called Mastermind and finding this dodgy bloke and his girlfriend on the box cover.
... which he then employed in two funny callbacks later on in the show.
Greg
Social outcast

#10812 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

Hey, Percy, he’s going deep isn’t he? Don’t answer back get on stoking that fire!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10813 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Ray P wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:43 pm In work - we've just been looking at some Sentinel imagery of the Thames Estuary - in natural colour the sea off Dartford is a greeny brown colour!
Went out 11-ish to get milk and toilet rolls – involved coming back alongside the Trader Bank drain (as I often would do anyway if I go up the Sibsey shop, as today). Never seen it so high before. And a horrible muddy brown colour. The Maud Foster drain, which is right outside my place, literally parallel to the road, is also noticeably raised but maybe not so dramatically. Also a dirty brown.
Last edited by Mike H on Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10814 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:58 pm I was taught to program in the late 70's so you don't want to know my views on what damage BASIC can do you a young mind :-)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10815 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

pre65 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:54 pm I've obtained a few LED bulbs to try on my car.

501 (12v 5W) and 382 (12v21W)

When it stops raining I'll fit them to rear tail lights and reversing lights.
Bulbs fitted and work OK, will check in darkness tonight to see how they compare.

Also, fitted the LED battery light (as in motorcycle thread) to a cigarette lighter plug and checked the CRV charging, seems OK. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)