Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10156 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

No no - the nose of the car ran into a wall - then it stopped.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
shane
Social outcast

#10157 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

The normal peace and tranquillity hereabouts is currently being shattered by a company named Gigaclear laying fibre to every house in the village.

Image.

So far, they’ve installed green cabinets all around the place, each one serving around fifteen houses. Then from the cabs to each house they’ve laid the thinner cables in the photo, with the thicker orange cable going from cab to cab. They’ve gone all the way out to some of the outlying farms and hamlets, digging trenches up to two miles outside the village to serve maybe three or four households.
Oddly though, all they’re laying at the moment is empty nylon tubing. The thin tubes are 8mm OD, 4mm ID, and the thick orange stuff is a sheath around four tubes about 10mm ID, and four more about 2mm ID.
Given that, how do they feed the fibres up such small bore tubing over such long distances? So far they’ve covered about a third of the village in six months so they’re not likely to start connecting people for another year or so. I shall be interested to see how they do it.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
ed
retired

#10158 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

underground! sounds quite sensible on the surface...

about 3 years ago(maybe more) kcom wired every house in our street with fibre. It was yellow and black cable and it was coiled up under the eaves of every house. It was strung from the existing poles.

Then.......every month they bombarded every house in the street with marketing literature, asking people to take up the all singing dancing super fast technology......

well I think they were getting desperate to recoup their costs(kcom) as the offers kept getting better and better.....

I finally relented after about 18 months when the offer was £5 per month cheaper than our existing broadband package and included free national calls 24/7. The existing broadband only had local calls 24/7 with national between 6pm-6am. So I took up the offer and the down load speed jumped from 9 to 50 immediately. A rare occurance of reverse inflation.

the coils of wire under everybody's eaves suddenly started disappearing at that point....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10159 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

The fibre is quite literally blown (or sucked) through the pipe...

Can be done in various ways. For the 100 or so metres between our house and the workshops, we used fishing line tied to a small ball of cotton wool, and a 2000W vacuum cleaner at the far end. Then used the line to pull fibre. Worked a treat.

Now I use an Ubiquity bridge which is the same speed and has the added benefit of no wires, so no ground potential difference.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#10160 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

so no ground potential difference.
Not that you would get that with fiber...
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10161 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 pm
so no ground potential difference.
Not that you would get that with fiber...
Originally i had cat5, then fibre, now wireless...
ed
retired

#10162 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

my little ears pricked up

which ubiquiti are you using Nick?

I seem to recall there were questions about the legality of the airfiber units in UK and France. Is this resolved, or was it down to the implimentation?

whatever, it's a luxurious way to get network into the workshop, isn't it??
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10163 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:18 pm my little ears pricked up

which ubiquiti are you using Nick?

I seem to recall there were questions about the legality of the airfiber units in UK and France. Is this resolved, or was it down to the implimentation?

whatever, it's a luxurious way to get network into the workshop, isn't it??
A pair of Ubiquiti NanoStation LocoM5 5 Ghz - work a treat - getting about 300Mb/s to the shed...

I have thought about air fibre, but it's expensive and I really don't need it. Yet.

I bought mine in Dubai for about GBP 45, but they are over 60 here... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Netwo ... B004EHSV4W
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10164 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:48 pm No no - the nose of the car ran into a wall - then it stopped.
Actually this joke seems slightly spooky now.
I had to leave the car in the work's car park this evening, as it wouldn't start.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10165 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Our village has been " fibred up " by Gigaclear, but I've not contacted yet about signing up. I have a connection point adjacent to my property boundary.

Judging by the serious volume of adverse comments about Gigaclear I've read (particularly their wireless capability) I'm unlikely to go with them.

More so because BT have got fibre to the cabinet here, and the cabinet is 50 yds from my abode.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10166 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Walked into Boston yesterday for an appointment at Citizens Advice Bureau. 45 minutes in there, then popped into a nearby restaurant and cafe. Halfway through lunch, I just happened to look down and saw my fly zip was undone. :shock:

Thing is, why didn't I feel the cold? :shock:

Oh but, I was wearing a coat. So don't think anyone else noticed...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
shane
Social outcast

#10167 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

pre65 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:12 pm Our village has been " fibred up " by Gigaclear, but I've not contacted yet about signing up. I have a connection point adjacent to my property boundary.

Judging by the serious volume of adverse comments about Gigaclear I've read (particularly their wireless capability) I'm unlikely to go with them.

More so because BT have got fibre to the cabinet here, and the cabinet is 50 yds from my abode.
Much the same here. I get a rock solid 70mb/s and since I work for EE, I get it for line rental plus £1. Gigaclear want £35 for 30mb/s plus a £120 setup fee, or £75 for 900mb/sec so it doesn’t make much sense for me. On the other hand only one of the three Openreach cabinets in the village has been fibre enabled and BT have said they won’t be updating the other two, so two thirds of the village struggle to get above 5mb/s, so I guess it makes more sense for them.
I have little need for the sort of speeds they offer, but I was speaking to one of the young bloods who have been moving into the village recently, demolishing perfectly good houses and replacing them with architectural statements and landmark edifices. When I asked him if he was going to sign up, you’d have thought if I’d asked him if he was thinking of having mains water or electricity. Not that he needed those sort of speeds himself, he told me that without it his house would be unsaleable in five years.
I felt like a dinosaur.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10168 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Badgers in broad daylight in the garden this morning, playing in the snow...

Two adults just chasing each other around for fun, and a third foraging around the cars...

They can really shift! Looking down at the snow from an upstairs window, you can see that they've been all over the place - the whole garden is crisscrossed with tracks.

Not seen them during the day for years - we see them at night on the drive or when they trigger a floodlight.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10169 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

You've got snow?! :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10170 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

We had some snow last night.

Just got back from a trip to Sudbury (Suffolk) and some back roads are tricky with ice and snow.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)