Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#12391 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

My travails with vodafone continue.....last week, after many hours with support trying to register a myvodafone account they finally got it sorted...but the error 28 that prevents Sandrine sending text messages to a French number still persists. After an hour with 2nd line support this afternoon the chap said it was fixed and there were blocks on the account that shouldn't have been there......last week I was told there were no such blocks.

still doesn't work....

support have said they know what the prob is....I have to remove the sim card in 2 hours and reinsert and restart the phone...it should be fixed....meanwhile the phone says 'emergency calls only'

I am uninclined to recommend vodafone to anybody after this fiasco....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12392 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:20 pm .... Could I use the usual cheap keyboard,mouse, usb stick that I am used to? What about a monitor? Svga, DVI, hdmi or .... What?

Any thoughts? Waste of time and money?
I did this for quite a while, then finally forced myself to learn to use the native screen, keyboard and mousepad - actually, never bothered with an external monitor.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12393 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Ant wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:03 am I dont have a norm abrahm shirt like that, but my atrocious looking 15 year old overalls have definitely seen better days.
I have been told on numerous occasions that they should be burned, but i havent been able to get some that fit as well, so they will never be burned! There is so much ground in oil, woodstain, ect that theyd probably go up like a bomb if they were ever near a naked flame :mrgreen:
Fred Dibnah was once asked "What's the flashpoint of your cap?"

:lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12394 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:31 pm Just after 1pm we heard a noise outside, but were unable to decide what it might have been.

Just found out it was a sonic boom. :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55636583
I'm very close to Coningsby, I wondered what they were up to.

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12395 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

If you've got 30 mins spare, this might be an informative way to fill it.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

#12396 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

Awesome.....I wish somebody would expose the government in the same way.....first there was the truth, and then......

ingesting like the Borg.....priceless

Limiting....It's not something I've ever used on any of my mixes, so I just had a play with 'limiter no6' by vladg....It's very versatile and makes a hell of a difference bringing out certain aspects of a mix...or pushing some aspects back.....I'm very naive with this sort of thing because I still love the truth of full dynamics...whether a certain instrument is in the right place(forwards or backwards) I still labour with in the actual mixing process.

But I do understand the different approaches necessary for different mediums and the example of different settings for different genres when streaming is a good enlightener.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#12397 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

I couldn't help but wonder if there'll be different mixes for physical formats i.e. we'll carry on getting what we always got on CD and vinyl.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12398 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

One more day. Just one.

I wonder what surprises 24 hours can bring?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

#12399 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

ed wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:28 am

I'm very naive with this sort of thing because I still love the truth of full dynamics...whether a certain instrument is in the right place(forwards or backwards) I still labour with in the actual mixing process.

But I do understand the different approaches necessary for different mediums and the example of different settings for different genres when streaming is a good enlightener.
I remember watching my daughters recording being compressed at Fairview studios a few years ago, it sound dire once they had done their magic..
She has just released a single, with a local guy recording and mastering, it sounds pretty good to me compared to all of her previous recordings, what a difference the right gear and someone who knows how to use it makes.
Every recording shes done, previous to these sounded grey and flattened.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
ed
retired

#12400 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

steve s wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:40 am
I remember watching my daughters recording being compressed at Fairview studios a few years ago, it sound dire once they had done their magic..
She has just released a single, with a local guy recording and mastering, it sounds pretty good to me compared to all of her previous recordings, what a difference the right gear and someone who knows how to use it makes.
that's more than a tad unfair on the guys at fairview....are you sure you know why the compressor was used? Very often it is used because the playing is uneven, which happens a lot with inexperience...if it was a while ago maybe she was still inexperienced and playing unevenly..which needed compensating.....or maybe not.....but I know they have the right gear....and they have people that know how to use it...or at least they used to
steve s
Shed dweller

#12401 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

ed wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:56 pm
steve s wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:40 am
that's more than a tad unfair on the guys at fairview....are you sure you know why the compressor was used? Very often it is used because the playing is uneven, which happens a lot with inexperience...if it was a while ago maybe she was still inexperienced and playing unevenly..which needed compensating.....or maybe not.....but I know they have the right gear....and they have people that know how to use it...or at least they used to
I dont think I'm being unfair Ed, but I'll never know ...
He had the wave form on the computer screen, then went through it wave by wave and moved most of it down from the top, up from the bottom..the guy was very impressed with them and how good they had played, all the vocals in one take
I have recording, I'll play it once it's safe, and you can make up your own mind.. or put me straight of course ..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
ed
retired

#12402 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

Sorry Steve....you have as much idea about whether it was right or not as any of us......I am a chancer at best, always have been.....

what I was responding to was
what a difference the right gear and someone who knows how to use it makes.
which I read as you deciding that fairview didn't have the right gear and, more importantly, it implies that you think they don't know how to use it..

I may have misread, or misunderstood..
steve s
Shed dweller

#12403 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Grammar was never a strength for me Ed.. 🙂
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#12404 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Some interesting reading-

https://bobbyowsinskiblog.com/2019/06/2 ... -consoles/

Read somewhere that the type delivered to Electric Lady were the last of the large analogue consoles and measured flat to 150khz.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12405 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Ali Tait wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:31 am Some interesting reading-

https://bobbyowsinskiblog.com/2019/06/2 ... -consoles/

Read somewhere that the type delivered to Electric Lady were the last of the large analogue consoles and measured flat to 150khz.
Great video. So many socketed (turned pin but not Au plated) NE5534/5532s, MKP (polypropylene) and MKT stacked film (polyester) capacitors plus Lundahl LL1538 xfrmrs - Focusrite even have a special feature just on these transformers: https://pro.focusrite.com/the-lundahl-ll1538-

Truly lovely analogue engineering at its finest!
Last edited by jack on Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt