Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#12346 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by The Stratmangler »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:57 pm No snow but that reminds me... I have an old Leica I should put a roll through just to show willing - what was the f rule thingie?
The higher the number, the greater the depth of field.
Has to be balanced off against shutter speed, coz the higher the f stop the slower the shutter speed needs to be.
Chris :happy3:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12347 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:59 pm Leica's are cool.
Not when it comes to their microscope support occasionally I find, grrrrrrrrrrr.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#12348 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Back in the day when I used Leicas daily I am afraid I have only examples of poor and very expensive support and service from their centre in Luton.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12349 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Leica's were always a pay grade (or three) above my aspirations.

I liked the rangefinder type 35mm cameras, and I've still got a Russian Leica copy somewhere.

Then to SLR, first a Zenith, then a few Cosinas, and to my peak with 35mm and a Canon A1 with an f 1.4 lens. I loved that camera, and I still have the lens. I sold the A1 and got a T70 which seemed an upgrade at the time, but I was seduced by the built in motor drive. Still got that somewhere.

Onto digital, starting with an Olympus C720 (still use it for odd jobs) and culminating in my EOS40d with a few Canon lens. The EOS40d is a brilliant machine, I just wish I could understand, and use, more than 10% of the settings it has.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12350 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:14 pm Yes that's it, sort of. Doing your own developing and printing there's enormous latitude.
Kids today just don't know........
Yeh.. well .. no actually. Black and white film is more tolerant than colour, by a couple of stops. Slide film is great but has to be bang-on exposure.
But even though I love film and have used it for years ( ps. I have two Leica R7's for film ) , one big advantage of digital, on full-frame anyway, is how large the dynamic range of the pixels is. I can shoot anywhere from 100iso to 1600iso and get essentially identical pictures. If I had a newer DSLR I could go up another two stops. That's a massive advantage in twilight conditions.

free image hosting

ps. my favourite for 6x9cm black and white is either Pan F or FP4+ developed in Pyro ( 'PMK' ) .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey

#12351 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yep, transparencies, no latitude really and colour negs, not much but I was thinking about FP4 and HP4. There was also some 25asa black and white film that was very good. And XP1 was processible in c41, wasn't it?

Long ago I gave up the idea of a Pulitzer and very much enjoy snapping on my phone. What you can do in low low light is astonishing.

In a cupboard somewhere in the south wing I have an impossible 'Leica' I bought in the Soviet Union many years ago. Gold plated and very worn, serial number of a Leica 1, converted to a 2 but with top speed of 1000 so a Leica 3.... Superb copy, very well built including a coated elmarf3.5 which shows good resolution if not as good as the red scale elmar I have on a 3frdfa, but nevertheless a copy - love it!

A zorki was my first real camera. sigh, nostalgia.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#12352 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Kodak Tmax 400 was my film of choice. Digital is great, but I miss the "art" of film.
andrew Ivimey

#12353 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Magic!!!!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12354 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:31 pm Yep, transparencies, no latitude really and colour negs, not much but I was thinking about FP4 and HP4. There was also some 25asa black and white film that was very good. And XP1 was processible in c41, wasn't it?
I've used Agfa APX25 and Kodak Tech Pan 2415. Both great in different ways, but both discontinued a long while back. Tech Pan was so sharp you could get results off 35mm that looked like 6 x 4.5 , with the right lenses.
I tried XP1 but didn't like it - it seemed to lack the essential quality that you get with 'real' B&W film.
HP5 and Tri-X are classic in their way, real gutsy local contrast, but I was never taking the type of subjects that benefited from grain.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12355 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I used colour film mostly, my Dad was a Pharmacist and I got out of date film very cheap.

I went on to slide film, and even started processing my own. I got a Durst enlarger and printed some out, even made a drum roller from Meccano with an electric motor. I've got many Hanimex rotary cassettes full of slides, and a projector and screen. Must have a slide show one day.

One reason I started processing slides at home was I tried a bit of "glamour" photography, nothing "smutty", but tasteful. Not got any of them left now, it was about 30 years ago.

Edmund Burke

steve s
Shed dweller

#12356 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:07 pm

One reason I started processing slides at home was I tried a bit of "glamour" photography, nothing "smutty", but tasteful. Not got any of them left now, it was about 30 years ago.
'Glamour' ... I bet you got none left because you've worn them out..

If you had some left we could have made space for a slide show at the next owston meet 🙂
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
shane
Social outcast

#12357 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

I have a couple of boxes of 35mm slides from a little Agfa camera I had as a teenager, but no way of looking at them other than holding them up to the light and squinting. What’s the best way to get them digitised?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12358 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Check Ebay for "slide scanner", there are a few under £20

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12359 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I was looking at planning a railway trip when "things" improve.

I checked one option (Dover) on The Trainline, and according to them, to get from Stratford station to Stratford International takes 28 minutes via Metro. I assumed they would be close together, like 5 minutes walk ?

Edmund Burke

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#12360 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:36 am ...to get from Stratford station to Stratford International takes 28 minutes via Metro. I assumed they would be close together, like 5 minutes walk ?
Here you go Phil, shouldn't take you long on Shanks's
Capture.JPG
Sorry, I couldn't resist!