Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#10876 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Jack Daniels is calling me.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10877 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

I'm leaving the country again ...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Neal
Shed dweller

#10878 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Seriously, what did you expect? It was on the cards months and months ago.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#10879 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh dear...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10880 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Just surprised that the LDs have pretty much been wiped out even though they got 13% of the vote.

Where we live it was always going to be conservative, but with such a dire choice of "leaders", I guess the slightly less worse option was chosen.

SNP will make a lot of noise but are essentially toothless and I doubt that this government will allow another independence referendum. I certainly hope not, as the union is vital. Plus economically, Scotland would really really struggle on its own. Oil and gas revenue will only be £1.2B this year, down from £14B a few years ago and only 0.13% of all UK revenue https://obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/tax-b ... -revenues/

As even that revenue stream is decreasing and the SNP want the closure of the nuclear sub base in Faslane etc, Scotland need to find some major sources of hard income (other than being a theme park) in order to be self-sustaining/viable as a standalone economy... 75% of income is from services and 64% of all trade is within the UK...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#10881 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Scottmoose »

I'm not. Swinson must carry the card for that one (scarcely matters now she's out). Her manner didn't help -she looked and sounded and addressed the electorate like a primary school supply teacher. Worse was the widespread acceptance of a bunch of rebels from other parties, which was hardly going to go down well in the circumstances, the utterly uncompromising 'cancel Brexit' that was tonally at odds with the perception of democracy they otherwise claimed to support (pushing for a 2nd referendum might have been a sounder approach for them to take), and then repeatedly attacking Labour, who were at least ideologically somewhat closer to what they wanted to achieve than the Tories, rather than attempting to work with them. Combine that with a relatively polarised electorate and you get a rather dreadful showing.

Half a bottle of Bushmills consumed yesterday evening. Unfortunately, my currently pounding skull has nothing to do with the whiskey.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10882 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Scottmoose wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:06 am .....Her manner didn't help -she looked and sounded and addressed the electorate like a primary school supply teacher.
How dare you insult primary school supply teachers. Well this retired supply teacher anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree on one thing though; Swinson was one of the most annoying politicians I’ve ever had the misfortune to come across.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10883 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

We live in interesting times.

The DUP have 8 seats with 244k votes, Sinn Fein 7 seats with 181k votes.

Lib Dems have 11 seats with 3.6m votes, the SNP have 48 seats with 1.2m votes.

The Greens have 1 seat with 864k votes, Plaid Cymru have 4 seats with 153k votes.

Is first past the post relevant? Would PR give us treading of water like the last 3.5 years? Is theatre really dead?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10884 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

And what are we going to call The Peoples' Republic Of South Yorkshire now that hell has frozen over?
Nick
Site Admin

#10885 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

And what are we going to call The Peoples' Republic Of South Yorkshire now that hell has frozen over?
how about "Tory scum"?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10886 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:59 pm
how about "Tory scum"?
Yep, that’ll do for starters.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10887 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:59 pm
how about "Tory scum"?
I wonder what percentage of your "Tory scum" are in reality diehard Labour supporters who felt that the Labour party had deserted them ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#10888 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Scottmoose »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:27 pm
Scottmoose wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:06 am .....Her manner didn't help -she looked and sounded and addressed the electorate like a primary school supply teacher.
How dare you insult primary school supply teachers. Well this retired supply teacher anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was one myself too. She was unfortunately akin to some of the worst examples I met, who patronised the children rather than talking to them like human beings. Maybe we're just dinosaurs. ;)
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10889 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Scottmoose wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:48 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:27 pm
I was one myself too. She was unfortunately akin to some of the worst examples I met, who patronised the children rather than talking to them like human beings. Maybe we're just dinosaurs. ;)
Oh yes I met some horrors on my travels. I didn’t mind, as if there was a “Jo Swinson” supplying in the same school as me, it was me who always got the repeat business. :D The agency never had to do any work; I’d developed such a big list of contacts, I used to tell them where I was working. In my final year supplying, the Tory cuts had become so bad there was virtually no work and I had to live off my savings for nearly twelve months. I was down to my last £200 when my pensions kicked in, by which time I had become a nervous wreck.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10890 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Sorry, I couldn't resist!