Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Greg
Social outcast

#10681 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

Yes, very interested that some owners with crudded up cartridges believe them to be failed and selling on at bargain prices. I’m pretty happy cartridge wise at the moment, but always open to a bargain. I’ll look around. Nice info, our Ant.
Ant
Shed dweller

#10682 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Ta folks, sometimes it pays to get a little creative. I think people are very reluctant to give a stylus a proper clean with fluid because of all the horror stories out there about Mr Jones having a ten grand cart and cleaning it with something other than fresh air, and the stylus falling off and exploding, then being beset by pestilence and plague.....
to be honest I was surprised that the 'proper' at607 stylus cleaning fluid didn't touch the crap that was built up on the stylii, but then again I suppose its not meant to remove 40 years of burnt on residue. I wasn't expecting too much from the ultimo, but the stylus was clearly filthy in the pics on the listing for it. The Hana cart looked OK in the pics, and given that they are pretty new with the first ones being a max of 4 or 5 years old I couldn't believe that it would be knackered already, hence taking a punt on it.
Trying vodka came from a chance comment from mi dad, mentioning that people used to use it to clean stylii in the 70s, tried it on the brush on the at637 stylus cleaner but it didn't really do anything.
Realising that the alcohol wasn't in contact for very long and would drain out of the brush led to the idea to use the cube of magic eraser sponge so it got plenty of surface contact to attack the deposits on the stylus.
I figured the alcohol won't do anything to the epoxy that holds the stylus into the Cantilever.
From what I gathered from some research, it's not that cleaning fluid does anything to the stylus or glue, its the problem of it wicking up the Cantilever if it's hollow and drying out the oils in the rubber part of the suspension.
from my point of view, it's OK to do it to rescue a cart as a kind of last resort if it's either that or a retip.
But I definitely got rather lucky with both
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10683 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Ant wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:36 pm You explored Barnsley?
I'm surprised you got out alive

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10684 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Ant wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:49 pm It never gets old
Oh yeah! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10685 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Ant wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:36 pm You explored Barnsley?
I'm surprised you got out alive
Yups, we really liked it too. Ace pubs and very friendly peeps even though our accents made it very clear we were out-of-towners. One of the Micropubs had a temp Spotify/Bluetoof speaker set up. Fleetwood Mac playing in the background when we walked in, aha, music conversation mode-engaged! "Right, one song each" it was agreed....

Happy to report that 2 folk REALLY enjoyed listening to "Fohat digs holes in space" and drinking beer, the others patrons, maybe not so much :)

Restaurants were a bit limited for Soft-Southern Veggie munching whoosies but we got out alive.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10686 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Cool. 8)

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10687 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:26 pm Yups, we really liked it too... ...One of the Micropubs had a temp Spotify/Bluetoof speaker set up. Fleetwood Mac playing in the background when we walked in, aha, music conversation mode-engaged! "Right, one song each" it was agreed....
This would have been my choice in that situation;

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ant
Shed dweller

#10688 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Got the ortofon sl15e ll today.
Turns out it's nos. Never been fitted............ It has now.
Good god it sounds absolutely gorgeous! More spu than a modern spu.
Very low output though, so it has to be cranked right up but I'd forgotten just how good these are. Smooth as silk with such a fabulous tone, it's undoubtedly coloured but who cares. It just sounds right
It's coming off the jvc though, I can't use it all the time, the output is too low and I want to keep it for best if that makes sense. I'll have to build something special to use it on. Have ten carts at the moment so plenty to choose from.
Need some more headshells...
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10689 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10690 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

A decent day, so before the deluge due on Sunday, final coat of varnish on the higher windows...

Sunday, back in the cellar continuing the ongoing workshop saga...
IMG-20191002-WA0004-648x1152.jpeg
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10691 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Wow! :shock:

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10692 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Well, I never knew you had an oast, Nick ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10693 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:38 pm Well, I never knew you had an oast, Nick ?
Indeed - been here about 25 years now. Pretty much demolished (completely gutted) it 15 years ago and rebuilt and massively expanded as carbon-neutral with ground-source heats pumps, integral thermal store, underfloor heating etc. Looks old (the core is early 1800s), but its a high tech house with no MDF etc. - all handmade local clay tiles (20,000 of them), local oak & sandstone. 4 years of planning and a year of self-building - the windows (36 of them) are all handmade from local oak. I use Osmo 425 oil on them - a light sand and then 2 coats every 3-4 years and they stay like new.

The site is excellent - high up with far reaching views over the High Weald AONB, but consequently exposed to the South West so we catch the worst of the weather in the winter...
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10694 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Not jealous at all.

:D

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10695 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Now have workshop wall rendered (damp proof admix) and sealed with two coats off Zinsser WaterTite - lovely stuff but a bitch to apply as it's like custard and expensive so the temptation is to spread it out, but you mustn't do that... Had to wait 5 weeks for render to completely dry and cure before applying Zinsser. Damp hopefully cured for good.

RSJs cut, painted and up on the wall with the chemical fixings (A4 stainless - 16 of them, all torqued down) with a further DPM behind them.

Joists are next.
IMG_20191006_153024-1088x816.jpg