Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10501 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Sounds fab Nick. :thumbleft:

Will you be doing conducted tours afterwards? :D

pre65 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:42 am After a bit of faffing around the new Broadband is up and running.

Download = 49 mpbs

Upload = 9 mbps
I'm now on superfast fibre too, but what I've found is you can be still at the mercy of how fast web sites or other networks can send. Just one example, I was using YouTube last night and it was slow, kept "buffering"; I did a speed test afterwards (BT's own and speedtest.net), 47 Mbps! So it wasn't "us".

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ant
Shed dweller

#10502 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Moved the dynavector dv20a2 off the jvc and onto the lenco.

Interestingly, when it came it was attached to a fingerlift, and when I had a closer look at it, that fingerlift turned out to be the original one for the audio technica AT1100. I didn't have an original for mine, I was using a generic one. The original has slots in the underside to key into the top of the headshell so it slides forward and backward square to the headshell which makes it much easier to align the cart

So aswell as the cart, as a bonus I now have an almost complete AT1100 too. Originally the arm would have had a small flat plastic shim that sat under the headshell, this was the same shape as the fingerlift minus the finger bit and had holes for the cart bolts to pass through. This is the one bit I haven't got, but I made one the same thickness from black acrylic anyway when I got it so that's good enough.

I also found out that the base for the arm which is a sliding base is not some generic thing as I first thought, it's actually an optional extra. I spoke to a friend whose husband used to be a HiFi dealer, and she told me that they used to sell these arms to people with the optional base if they traded it for a 3009 or had been using the SME so they didn't have to re drill the arm boards. The base fits on the SME cutout and the collar is slid out away from the platter to the end of travel, at which point the arm is in the correct place. This arm is abit longer at 225mm s/p distance than the SME. Learn something new every day!
Her husband used to sell the signet xk50 version which is identical, she (at 76!) still uses one herself on a pioneer plc590 which when he passed away she couldn't bear to part with

The compliance figure for the 20a2 is rather high at 24, probably more as the Japanese measure at 100hz instead of 10 (or is it the other way round? Can't remember) so it is much better suited to the AT1100.
It sounds fabulous in the AT1100.
I'm listening to Bert jansch avocet at the moment and it's just gorgeous.

Happy days
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10503 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:23 pm Sounds fab Nick. :thumbleft:

Will you be doing conducted tours afterwards? :D
Well. Took out two thirds of the floor today - completely rotten. The joist holes in the left of the picture are soaking.

Steel has arrived - 100kg of it. Marking the steel tomorrow. The big old joist holes have to be filled, rendered over, the included in the vertical painted dpm.

A 300mm plastic dpm will be behind the steel as well.

The beams will be attached to the wall with Fischer A4 10x130mm stainless chemical fixings on 400mm centres, I.e. at least 15 of them.

You can gey an idea of the depth of the hole from the photo. #2 son is 6' 2"
IMG-20190711-WA0005-734x1305.jpeg
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10504 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Nice collection of spanners!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10505 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:48 pm Image

Nice collection of spanners!
Can't have too many spanners. :)

Floor all gone now. This is the view from the only bit with a solid floor - only way in is down the steps from the garden then up the ladder you can see at the bottom of the photo.

The bit of ikea shelving support across the gap is to stop me automatically getting up from my workbench, absent-mindedly walking out and plummeting to the concrete floor eight foot below. ..
20190712_181323-856x1141.jpg
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10506 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Fabuloso. Image

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10507 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

This week I have been mostly drinking .. Image

King Offa's Blend (he of Offa's Dyke fame) "Footprint" Hand Roasted Coffee
-
-
Offas Coffee_2631.jpg
-
-
No this is not a wind-up
-

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10508 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

I have a few days off and what happens - downstairs ring keeps tripping out! :banghead:

Fortunately, my brother is a qualified electrician, :thumbup: unfortunately he lives 100 miles away :sad10:

First thing we established is that he's coming down soon to install a new consumer unit as it's got the old style breakers and whoever installed it clearly didn't have a tidy mind!

So, today I've been investigating the tripping. I've borrowed a Fluke 1654 muti-function tester and an insulation test inicates that there's a short somewhere on the ring. Following my bro's instructions, I split the ring at the sockets furthest from the consumer unit and tested each half - by reconnecting the half that tests OK the theory is that we should get a non-tripping spur with about half of the 14 sockets on the ring working - sod's law strikes again, we got three but at least they include the kettle and the microwave. :?

For now I'll leave it alone for the evening just to ensure there's no more tripping. Tomorrow I'll start working on testing the isolated section of the ring, with the short, to try and narrow down where it is and, hopefully, get some more sockets functioning. :sign7:

So much for a few days of relaxation! :roll:
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10509 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Best of luck!

Me:
-
-
3EC920B5-9C88-40A5-BD7D-7804C70439A2.jpeg
-
In Jedburgh, Borders (where I am currently)
-

Neal
Shed dweller

#10510 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Maybe something more than ‘nothing in particular’. BBC horizon on the insidious nature of Facebook, well worth a watch. The problem with Facebook is Facebook itself, pull the plug and it solves their ‘problems’ in an instant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... icult-year
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10511 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Is it just my imagination or is it ... like ... stupidly hot ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10512 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:09 pm Is it just my imagination or is it ... like ... stupidly hot ?
No, it’s not your imagination. The sofa is burning my back right now and it is impossible to use the OTL.
I’m back to my NVA A20/P20 combination. It’s currently 25 degrees in the living room.
It’s a real “The wind is in from Africa, last night I couldn’t sleep” stuff
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10513 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Hah! 8)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10514 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:09 pm Is it just my imagination or is it ... like ... stupidly hot ?
Going to get worse! I'm in Anglesey seems we're avoiding the heatwave here. We'll see tomorrow.

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10515 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

My living room was 27.5 degrees last night, and the fan was on. :shock:

Got up about 2 AM and the sky was alight and with distant thunder. It got closer by 2.30 and heavy rain for about 15 mins but the storm passed by and it was gone by 3.15.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)