Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10306 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Woh that is a seriously posh workshop Image

And very twee :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

#10307 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Always had concerns over these ever since they where introduced, I now know that I’ll never allow one in my home....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47893082
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10308 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:30 pm And very twee :D
...and very rotten...

Looking for a decent chop saw as a LOT of accurate cutting needed and my table saw is an Axminster cheapie and not up to it.

Looking at this one:

Anyone got an alternative? Also thinking about a low-end DeWalt or Makita - it's a trade-off...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#10309 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Neal wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:50 am Always had concerns over these ever since they where introduced, I now know that I’ll never allow one in my home....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47893082
Its going to get harder to avoid as time goes on as they are being added to all sorts of things that don't need them. Its as bad as the clothing penetrating xray kit a lot of airports installed. How could that ever get misused...

Must admit though, I find the voice control in android auto hard to do without.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#10310 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:40 am
Mike H wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:30 pm And very twee :D
...and very rotten...

Looking for a decent chop saw as a LOT of accurate cutting needed and my table saw is an Axminster cheapie and not up to it.

Looking at this one:

Anyone got an alternative? Also thinking about a low-end DeWalt or Makita - it's a trade-off...
it's a trade off is about right.
most any of those budget chop/mitre saws should be good for construction work. It's when you want to use it for cabinet work that you need to sort the chaff out.

from experience...the wider the cut i.e 8" or 11", the more play you'll get when fully extended..so if you're cross cutting wide boards the more you pay generally the more precision. This is where Makita may make a difference.

the other requirement for precision is the pre-determined angles....the budget ones do not sit at the angle prescribed and will wander one or two degrees either side of the indent. In this case you need to check with a square before locking.

As usual it's much better if you can get your hands on one before buying...check the wobble when the extension is at full length and check the play when using the indent angles.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ant
Shed dweller

#10311 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

I've had a Bosch gcm10 s for years now. I've used some of the cheapie ones aswell from evolution and rexon and found the same as Ed. Always a degree or 2 out. They can be adjusted to be spot on and within a few cuts have wandered slightly. They seem worse in terms of the blade coming straight down and cutting square than they are sliding front to back.
When I used to do repairs on power tools the evolution stuff was always in but that was when they were a fairly new brand, the qc is probably better now.
The Bosch has never put a foot wrong in all the time I've had it and to me was worth the extra money. But checking the price for a new one they are a bloody fortune now. Can't go wrong with makita and Dewalt though, Dewalt flip saws are brilliant bits of kit
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10312 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Agree with ed and Ant. The Evo will probably be fine for first fix, but there might be too much 'slop' for finish. I have a cheap mitre saw which is never accurate so pretty much pointless. I'm weighing up what to replace it with but I think the answer is going to be quite expensive.

Perhaps it also depends on whether you might use it beyond the rebuild, and if so a better one might pay in the long term?

I look at Festool Kapex and Bosch glide and dream!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10313 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

simon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:35 pm Agree with ed and Ant.
Perhaps it also depends on whether you might use it beyond the rebuild, and if so a better one might pay in the long term?

I look at Festool Kapex and Bosch glide and dream!
I have one piece of Festool - a TS 55 REBQ-Plus rail saw. It's brilliant.

I was sweaty & shaking when I handed over my CC to buy it and the associated kit.

Festool is definitely the DBs, but eye-wateringly expensive.

The point about "life after shed rebuild" is a good one...

More research needed...
Ant
Shed dweller

#10314 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Look at s/h Bosch makita dewalt et AL too, they are practically indestructible, and spares down to the last spring and washer are readily available. Bosch and dewalt especially, they will sell them to individuals directly and not require a trade account to buy them. Makita used to want a trade account but that might have changed now.

As a side note, one that goes under the radar is hitachi tools. They are as good as the best in my experience, but dont get much attention for some reason

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10315 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Impressive stuff!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10316 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Neal wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:50 am Always had concerns over these ever since they where introduced, I now know that I’ll never allow one in my home....
Yes do not want to touch with a long pole, actually I'm a bit creeped out by talking gadgets.

And you've just reminded me to make sure microphone and camera are turned off on my lappies .. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10317 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

jack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:52 pm I have one piece of Festool - a TS 55 REBQ-Plus rail saw. It's brilliant.

I was sweaty & shaking when I handed over my CC to buy it and the associated kit.
I have the same and had the same sweaty experience! Don't regret a penny of it though. I bought it before a Dewalt table saw which was also the right decision.

Festool are especially good for dust extraction and this alone tempts me as how do you put a value on your health? But £500 for a router, more for a Domino, when it's not your living is steep.

It might be worth looking at an MFT table if you haven't got one. They're not cheap (of course) but they're really good - they have a grid of 20m dia holes which take dogs, place your rail against two dogs, your timber against another two at right angles and make your cut. Dead easy, quick, perfect right angles. Great for converting sheet materials. Lots of vids on YouTube.

But I didn't buy an MFT. There's a chap in Wrexham that does MR mdf CNC replacement tops for £30+vat. He does a dog set for £18 too. I bought 2 sets and joined the boards together in a workbench with lockable castors on the base for easy moving. Really pleased with it - I can send a photo if that doesn't make sense.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10318 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Really appreciate the input guys.

I'm leaning towards a DeWalt DW717-XPS which I may be able to get at a reasonable price. That with the stand should solve the joist and floorboard issue as well as the "post this job" issue. We'll see. The Festool equivalent is totally silly money.

Interested in the DeWalt table saw - which one did you go for? MFT sounds interesting too - photos would be good.
Ant
Shed dweller

#10319 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

The dw717 is very very good, only problem I ever saw with them was the dust covers on the slide bar housing. They have a very small chamfer on the face where they meet the bars that collects muck. It can get dragged inside the linear bearings and make them abit graunchy but other than that, if you don't want to ever buy another saw you can't go wrong.
Just give the covers a brush round with a paint brush before it's put away.
Oh and they are distinctly average for dust extraction, the one we used at work was just crap with a dust bag but was fine when used with the Henry hoover bodged on with tape....

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10320 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

The Festool Kapex is extraordinarily expensive. Crazy. And that's why so many knock Festool, because of the cost. I'll never buy one, nor the Bosch. That dewalt isn't cheap either, but recommendations count for a lot, and I'll consider it. Be interested to know if they're on offer anywhere?

All mitre saws are known to have poor dust extraction, just some are worse than others. That's what I've found in my research anyway. There are vids too where people have added boots to direct the sawdust into the housing to be removed by vacuum and improve collection.

Will sort some photos later.