Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Greg
Social outcast

#10006 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

Michael L wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:58 pm
Neal wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:39 am Aaaarrrgh, it’s that time of year when motorists reach for the long forgotten rear fog light switch at the mere hint of mist let alone fog! In a stream of traffic, following each other and yet you can see the car in front not using fog lights what makes you think I won’t be able to see you! Then when the traffic stops let’s still keep the blooming things on and put the brake lights on as well for added effect :roll: Blood things should be banned.
Why do people not use the handbrake? Ever higher placed and super bright brake lights dazzling the driver behind for several minutes in traffic queues. Hard of thinking or bone idle? Such a pain especially when lighting up time falls late afternoon.
Yes, all very irritating and completely unnecessary, not to mention the idiots who now flash their lazar beam headlights at you to say thank you when you give way to them. In such circumstances, I make a point of looking away from the oncoming vehicle in anticipation the flash is coming, thus avoiding being dazzled. If drivers obeyed the Highway Code on both these issues, there wouldn’t be a problem.
Michael L
Old Hand

#10007 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

Cleaning PCBs - As far as I recall I've never done it before or after soldering. I assume modern fluxes deal with any grease on the board. Is there a need to clean a board that doesn't have bare copper tracks before or after populating assuming no obvious grime? All the pcbs I have used have been quite new.
Michael L
Old Hand

#10008 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

Michael L wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 am Cleaning PCBs - As far as I recall I've never done it before or after soldering. I assume modern fluxes deal with any grease on the board. Is there a need to clean a board that doesn't have bare copper tracks before or after populating assuming no obvious grime? All the pcbs I have used have been quite new.
Bugger - spoke too soon. IPA and leccy toothbrush in use.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10009 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Yes. I've used VIM and a small brush with good results. Haven't got any tho so last time had to scrape. Must get some Vim.

Another useful thing to have is a small bottle of liquid flux.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Michael L
Old Hand

#10010 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

Had a bit of job with the psu boards I bought recently. Solder didn't want to flow very willingly. I wondered if there was some sort of residue on the pads. Scrubbing with the toothbrush using IPA didn't improve things. I've emailed the seller over on DIY Audio. Maybe I should have used an abrasive paste.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10011 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Get yourself some of this;

https://www.rapidonline.com/servisol-61 ... ml-87-1164

I give boards a wipe over with it before soldering and than use it after soldering to remove the flux residue, sometimes using an old toothbrush for stubborn deposits. Makes cleaning PCBs easy but then it is designed for the job.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10012 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Thanks for the recommendation Ray. I've never had any luck with IPA (of the non-beer sort) - just seems to smear the flux around.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10013 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Bookmarked.

Why is it when you sign into the Rapid site nowadays you're first asked "What sort of Rapid customer are you?" And none of the options match? There's no "hobbyist" or "DIY". I usually put in "University", I'm not, but have to click something. Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Michael L
Old Hand

#10014 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

Michael L wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:35 pm Had a bit of job with the psu boards I bought recently. Solder didn't want to flow very willingly. I wondered if there was some sort of residue on the pads. Scrubbing with the toothbrush using IPA didn't improve things. I've emailed the seller over on DIY Audio. Maybe I should have used an abrasive paste.
Job accomplished after gentle scrubbing with my glass fibre pencil.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10015 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

simon wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:09 am Thanks for the recommendation Ray. I've never had any luck with IPA (of the non-beer sort) - just seems to smear the flux around.
Technique I use to clean PCB after soldering parts is;

1. Spray board with the flux remover and lightly scrub with a toothbrush where there are stubborn deposits.
2. Let dry.
3. Spray board again and leave for a short time.
4. Pat dry with some kitchen towel (don't rub as you'll just shred the towel).
5. Job done.

That's how I cleaned these boards;

I use some of the cleaner and a cotton bud for things like switch tags.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10016 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Michael L wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:58 pm
Why do people not use the handbrake? Ever higher placed and super bright brake lights dazzling the driver behind for several minutes in traffic queues. Hard of thinking or bone idle? Such a pain especially when lighting up time falls late afternoon.
Maybe because the car in front is an automatic and its only equipped with a 'parking' brake or summat?

I do still use indicators though, I think I'm the only person left in the world that still uses them or knows what they do. When did it become uncool to indicate? I'm very uncool.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10017 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

There's possibly a real fear that folks might get rammed up the back if traffic doesn't see the brake lights, i.e. vehicle is stopped. OK the traffic lights should be a clue, but how many trust other people to notice? :D

Thinking about it, I was also a foot brake holder. Nowadays I put it in neutral if it looks like going to be a few minutes. And use the handbrake. But, I tend to hold the brake pedal until someone else comes along and stops behind me.

Or it's just laziness. Especially if it's an automatic. In that case it's natural to have to hold it on the brake every time it's stopped else it will roll, and it becomes a habit.

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10018 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Thanks Ray.

Re. driving, sadly standards have declined considerably. If everyone's playing the same game it's a lot safer, but now there are lots of different games being played.

A car followed me for about a mile last week, never indicated once. When she pulled up behind me at traffic lights I could see she was looking and talking to the centre of her dash - it looked like she was on Skype or similar...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10019 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Out here, the use of indicators is taken as a sign of weakness...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
ed
retired

#10020 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:58 pm Out here, the use of indicators is taken as a sign of weakness...
that's much the same as here then.....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be