Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#9271 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:30 am Fraud Bucher!! A perfect film 1974 Abby Normal....
Sorry, Frau not Fraud... spell check: a sealed unit - bastard phone
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9272 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

"I dont know exactly how matched it needs to be" - have to agree, and that did occur to me.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey

#9273 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Marty Feldmann at his best.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9274 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

If you buy the DVD , you'll find it's one of the very best 'Director's Commentaries' ever. Mel Brooks actually keeps up with the film, shows real appreciation of his cast, points out extra little details you might have missed & adds all sorts of stories about the actors.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey

#9275 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I have a very old DVD. I'll Che k to see if it has these worthwhile additions. Ta much.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9276 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Much as I loved the films, SWMBO & I went to the London stage production of The Producers staring Nathan Lane, Lee Evans, Leigh Zimmerman and, for GoT fans, a younger Conleth Hill (Lord Varys).

SWMBO had never even seen the film, however both of us and most of the audience were crying with laughter for most of the show.

Truly brilliant and probably the best show I've ever seen.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey

#9277 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

0ddly perhaps I prefer the remake (film) of the Producers to the original one starring Gene Wilder. To the remake just is more ridulously wonderfully funnier.

I was surprised.
Michael L
Old Hand

#9278 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

Nick wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:39 pm They know how, but you might wilt at the price for the service. Most designs if they need matched pairs or quads will use arrays like the THAT300B, but that phono needs needs matched PNP and NPN, however other than the OCD that it seems to bring out in people, I dont know exactly how matched it needs to be and what are the results of not matching. The circuit has 33R emitter resistors so they should prevent current hogging.
Thanks for input Mike and Nick.
In Diy A assembly notes (below) a 10% match or better is prescribed with a focus on input stage matching in each and across both channels.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0CkKjT ... 9yZlk/edit
There are recommendations for using the Peak 55. I used this to match devices and then retested with curves at 9V 3mA on the Peak 75. There was around 10% between the NPN and PNP at same temp! They have different rises in hFE against Vce and temp. Circuit operating voltage is around 14V. This suggests to me that very close matching is possibly overkill and in most cases probably not achieved anyway.
Nevertheless I will try to match as closely as reasonably possible.
Nick
Site Admin

#9279 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

This is the sort of thing that makes me feel the OCD has got the better of them
While you are at it, you may want to match the 33Ohm resistors as well
Why not ask for some unicorns as well
On the input stages, the absolute BEST would be to have 8 PNPs and 8 NPNs that have matched gain, collector-base leakage current and no noise issues.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9280 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:06 am This is the sort of thing that makes me feel the OCD has got the better of them
While you are at it, you may want to match the 33Ohm resistors as well
Why not ask for some unicorns as well
On the input stages, the absolute BEST would be to have 8 PNPs and 8 NPNs that have matched gain, collector-base leakage current and no noise issues.
:) So true. If you're that bothered, have a look at the monolithic matched pairs from the likes of Nexperia (Signetics/Philips/NXP as was) and others.

A bit of Monte Carlo/stochastic simulation would help too, i.e. might demonstrate if any of this was even vaguely necessary.
Nick
Site Admin

#9281 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

jack wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 pm
:) So true. If you're that bothered, have a look at the monolithic matched pairs from the likes of Nexperia (Signetics/Philips/NXP as was) and others.

A bit of Monte Carlo/stochastic simulation would help too, i.e. might demonstrate if any of this was even vaguely necessary.
Yep, but even the matched pairs are designed for differential front ends (generally), and while there are matched quads and NPN/PNP pairs and quads, they tend to be lower hfe than that design needs.

I agree, a MC sim would be informative of what the actual cost of mismatching would be.

Some of the matched pairs might make a good choice for the current mirrors though.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9282 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:13 pm Why don't men wash their hands after going to the loo,(weeeeeee or poooooooh)? Studies have found that they don't. Studies have also found that much fewer women don't wash their hands.
Ancient comment, but so happens last night was at dinner and there was a bunch of folk who are involved with DXB airport, specifically tracking the movements (SWIDT) of people in the airport... I was aware of this stuff before (look up at the ceilings and you can see the matrix that tracks you).

Once someone enters the airport from airside or landside, they are individually tracked until they leave. There's a smartphone app that staff can use to look at the flow through the terminals - everything is tracked, including usage of the washrooms (cubicle by cubicle), sinks, soap dispensers the lot. you can see the queues building up at passport control, so when a new channel needs opening up etc.

So, basically, we know that cubicles are used twice as many times per day as sinks and three times as many times as soap dispensers. Women are no different than men (statistics for the ladies' bogs are pretty much the same as for the gents').
Michael L
Old Hand

#9283 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

jack wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:22 am
andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:13 pm Why don't men wash their hands after going to the loo,(weeeeeee or poooooooh)? Studies have found that they don't. Studies have also found that much fewer women don't wash their hands.
Ancient comment, but so happens last night was at dinner and there was a bunch of folk who are involved with DXB airport, specifically tracking the movements (SWIDT) of people in the airport... I was aware of this stuff before (look up at the ceilings and you can see the matrix that tracks you).

Once someone enters the airport from airside or landside, they are individually tracked until they leave. There's a smartphone app that staff can use to look at the flow through the terminals - everything is tracked, including usage of the washrooms (cubicle by cubicle), sinks, soap dispensers the lot. you can see the queues building up at passport control, so when a new channel needs opening up etc.

So, basically, we know that cubicles are used twice as many times per day as sinks and three times as many times as soap dispensers. Women are no different than men (statistics for the ladies' bogs are pretty much the same as for the gents').
I have never noticed men coming out of a cubicle and not stopping to wash their hands. I would think and hope that it's less common than not doing so after a wee. For those of us who do wash, there is the door with it's dirty handle to navigate on the way out in most toilets.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9284 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Michael L wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:55 am I have never noticed men coming out of a cubicle and not stopping to wash their hands. I would think and hope that it's less common than not doing so after a wee. For those of us who do wash, there is the door with it's dirty handle to navigate on the way out in most toilets.
That's peer (or pee) pressure for you (SWIDT) - because you are there, washing your hands, others will too. The thing about the monitoring done is that no-one knows that they're being watched, so they revert to type. It's a variant on the Observer Effect i.e. to paraphrase, by observing others, your very presence impacts their behavour.

The handle on the door on the way out is a tricky one - basically, I try to NEVER touch them, even sometimes using a paper towel to open the door if I can't "follow through" behind someone else - it's the same for shared bowls of peanuts on a bar top. Just don't go there.

One of the many things that has improved the UK's Olympic and general sports performance is what they call "incremental gains" - an accumulation of small things that add up to give a still small, but significant, overall gain. For British athletes these included being able to bring along their own pillows, not biting their fingernails and more relevantly, never shaking hands or touching handrails etc.

Even though your own personal hygiene may be great, that is not necessarily true for others you directly or indirectly come into contact with.

Not being paranoid here, as SWMBO & I regularly eat street food in some of the most dodgy places you can imagine, but it pays to be sensible & aware...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9285 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

...and in other news....

One of my sons is in Belfast ATM filming as an extra in GoT for season 8.