Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Subjects that don't have their own home
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#61 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by vinylnvalves »

If Boris claims the vaccine is “Oven Ready” like the Brexit deal, then I might have to question if it has gone through as vigorous checks as it needs.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#62 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by IslandPink »

Luckily some grown-ups have been in charge of doing the work on this one.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#63 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:12 pm Luckily some grown-ups have been in charge of doing the work on this one.
I think you are being unfair on kids there Mark :-), Boris is a "Grown Up", but just a lying, unprincipled, sociopathic malignant narcissistic entitled one, with an overinflated self opinion.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#64 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Don't sugar coat it Nick- tell it his it is!!!!!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#65 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by izzy wizzy »

vinylnvalves wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:53 pm If Boris claims the vaccine is “Oven Ready” like the Brexit deal, then I might have to question if it has gone through as vigorous checks as it needs.
Looks like they've back tracked already https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ne-rethink
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#66 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by vinylnvalves »

Using the nursing home residents as guinea pigs? It is logical to treat the most vulnerable first as it will free up more beds and give the NHS a welcome relief.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#67 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by IslandPink »

My sister was tested yesterday and has got a positive. Looks like being an optician in West Yorkshire is not the safest job to have !
Michael L
Old Hand

#68 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by Michael L »

vinylnvalves wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:05 pm Using the nursing home residents as guinea pigs? It is logical to treat the most vulnerable first as it will free up more beds and give the NHS a welcome relief.
I find it difficult to believe that they are testing visitors of the elderly in care homes for CV19 with lateral flow testers.
Greg
Social outcast

#69 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by Greg »

vinylnvalves wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:05 pm Using the nursing home residents as guinea pigs? It is logical to treat the most vulnerable first as it will free up more beds and give the NHS a welcome relief.
I find that cynical well beyond my own cynism.
Greg
Social outcast

#70 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by Greg »

Michael L wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:35 pm I find it difficult to believe that they are testing visitors of the elderly in care homes for CV19 with lateral flow testers.
As the lateral flow tests seem to be so flawed, I’d not trust any of them in any circumstance. Another Boris nonsense and fail. FFS, the sooner he gets lost in the House of Lords, the better for all of us.
Nick
Site Admin

#71 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by Nick »

Greg wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:12 pm
Michael L wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:35 pm I find it difficult to believe that they are testing visitors of the elderly in care homes for CV19 with lateral flow testers.
As the lateral flow tests seem to be so flawed, I’d not trust any of them in any circumstance. Another Boris nonsense and fail. FFS, the sooner he gets lost in the House of Lords, the better for all of us.
Looks to me the flaw is in detecting if someone hasn't got the virus, but its good at detecting if they have. That seems fine to me to decide if people should visit their relatives. False positives are less damaging than false negatives in this situation.
The review by PHE Porton Down and the University of Oxford considered 40 devices but only nine met some of the performance criteria, and only diagnostics company Innova’s was advanced enough for assessment – eight are still being tested with no results released as yet. The team evaluated the LFD in the lab and community settings over three months. It estimates its sensitivity at 76.8%, and specificity at 99.68%. Sensitivity is the ability of a test to correctly identify patients with a disease, while specificity is a measure of a test’s accuracy at identifying those that do not have the disease tested for.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#72 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by pre65 »

Deep joy, we enter tier 3 from midnight tomorrow (Tuesday).

And, I read there may now be a new strain of Covid doing the rounds. :shock:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#73 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by IslandPink »

Yes. We could have further restrictions here soon, the way things are going - not that it's been opened up very much. I don't believe the new strain is so far seen as having worse effects, or being immune to the vaccine - more that it spreads a bit quicker.

Good news is that my sister recovered from it, with a week. She is slowly getting her sense of taste back.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#74 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by Cressy Snr »

pre65 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:10 pm Deep joy, we enter tier 3 from midnight tomorrow (Tuesday).

And, I read there may now be a new strain of Covid doing the rounds. :shock:
There have been several different strains since March. Hancock has had to turn up the scaremongery about this latest one, in order to distract from the fact that London and the South East should have been in tier 3 weeks ago and the government have dropped yet another bollock.
One rule for London and another for everybody else has come back and bit them on the arse big time.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Michael L
Old Hand

#75 Re: Sars-Cov-2 stuff

Post by Michael L »

Nick wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:19 pm
Greg wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:12 pm
Looks to me the flaw is in detecting if someone hasn't got the virus, but its good at detecting if they have. That seems fine to me to decide if people should visit their relatives. False positives are less damaging than false negatives in this situation.
The review by PHE Porton Down and the University of Oxford considered 40 devices but only nine met some of the performance criteria, and only diagnostics company Innova’s was advanced enough for assessment – eight are still being tested with no results released as yet. The team evaluated the LFD in the lab and community settings over three months. It estimates its sensitivity at 76.8%, and specificity at 99.68%. Sensitivity is the ability of a test to correctly identify patients with a disease, while specificity is a measure of a test’s accuracy at identifying those that do not have the disease tested for.
From what I see the test is not great at identifying those with the disease, especially when tested by less well trained and experienced operatives.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4469
Last edited by Michael L on Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.