Garrard 401 Slate Plinth / Slatedeck Armboard Mount.

301, 401, plinths and assorted idler stuff
mr.natural
User

#1 Garrard 401 Slate Plinth / Slatedeck Armboard Mount.

Post by mr.natural »

Folks,

What's the general concensus of people in todays world of armboard mounting. Do you slap on directly to plinth (along with motor) or de-couple
armboard. My plinth was originally cut to take armboard mount & not
de-coupled. I have seen several variations of other turntable set ups where the armboard is on it's own dedicated plinth tower so to speak. There again I thought I read somewhere else that you should bolt directly to motor plinth.

many thanks

Mr.Natural
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I'd say decoupled, because I was heading that way with the Maple plinth before I went over to the Nottingham. I had soft fibre washers between the arm and the Maple plinth and that helped the upper mids and treble a lot, and gave me more 'space .
Lenny ( up here, on the coast ) just built a poor-man's 'Shindo-labs' plinth for his 401 using hardwood-block worktop, and he has a diagonal sliced-off section for the arm that's decoupled but close to the main plinth .
That Garrard motor puts a lot of non-musical noise into the plinth , which you don't need.
Just make sure the decoupled bit is fairly heavy and solid, to keep good bass response .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"