301, 401, plinths and assorted idler stuff
gdog
User

#1 Classic TT Company

Post by gdog »

Wondering about Garrardists take on this;

Code: Select all

https://www.classichifi-shop.co.uk/product/classic-301-in-black-20/
And if anyone can throw any more light on it?

It looks like a mechanically brand new 301 built using a reconditioned motor. The top plate is machined from a solid piece of aluminium, the linkages, spindle, bearing and (oversize) platter are all new. £3000 which considering the work involved would appear pretty reasonable. There is a more expensive brass version with an even heavier platter. I'd be very interested to hear one - its a pretty expensive option compared to a used 401 and a full service.

I think it is connected somehow to the SMD company which make a variety of Garrard Plinths. Quite expensive I think £1700 for slate; Skeleton with damping on the posts.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Classic TT Company

Post by pre65 »

Looks good, and well made. I'd prefer it in black.

https://www.classichifi-shop.co.uk/prod ... -black-20/
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#3 Re: Classic TT Company

Post by Thermionic Idler »

I have his prototype - the first one of these that he made back in 2012 or so, I think it was, mine still has the 301 motor but otherwise identical. Ray Clarke really knows his shit, and if you've got the cash it's worth going for - probably the last turntable you'll ever need - it's certainly the last one I'll ever need. The solid aluminium machined chassis plate makes quite a difference to performance.

Mine is in the SMD reference plinth with the solid brass platter and new grease bearing to handle the extra weight. The deck just disappears, leaving you with the music. Pain in the arse to move around though.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets