Chas from Chas and Dave dies aged 74

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Chas from Chas and Dave dies aged 74

Post by pre65 »

Chas Hodges - one half of the musical duo Chas and Dave - has died at the age of 74.

The duo's Twitter account said he recently received treatment for oesophageal cancer but died peacefully in his sleep in the early hours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45613563#
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Chas from Chas and Dave dies aged 74

Post by Mike H »

:(

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Chas from Chas and Dave dies aged 74

Post by Dave the bass »

There goes another original. Successfully combined humour and music. They were brillyunt live too (IMO).
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Chas from Chas and Dave dies aged 74

Post by IslandPink »

Was it Chas who was in 'Head Hands and Feet ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Chas from Chas and Dave dies aged 74

Post by The Stratmangler »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:45 pm Was it Chas who was in 'Head Hands and Feet ?
Yup!

The following has been brazenly nicked from another forum, but it's a decent enough summary.
Chas had a long pedigree before Chas & Dave: he had recorded with Joe Meek, been in the Outlaws with Ritchie Blackmore (which later led to him playing bass for Deep Purple at one show). He played with Jerry Lee Lewis and Gene Vincent. Most famously, the hook he and Peacock recorded for Labi Siffre’s I Got The … became the chassis of Eminem’s first hit, My Name Is. I first got to know his name as a member of Albert Lee's band, Heads, Hands, And Feet and later on, I used to thoroughly enjoy playing "Ain’t No Pleasing You" with my old band.

Chas and Dave were written off as a "novelty" act in some quarters, but along with their original drummer, Micky Burt, they were terrific musicians who'd long-since earned their chops. Dave Peacock is last man standing now.
Chris :happy3:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Chas from Chas and Dave dies aged 74

Post by Mike H »

Wow. :notworthy:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
shane
Social outcast

#7 Re: Chas from Chas and Dave dies aged 74

Post by shane »

I read somewhere that st Eric Clapton’s wedding to Patti Boyd, he formed an impromptu band. The other members were called Paul, George and Ringo.
He must have had something...
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Chas from Chas and Dave dies aged 74

Post by Dave the bass »

shane wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:21 pm He must have had something...
Yup, it was called talent.

IMO he and Dave (Peacock) created some amazingly pertinent popular music. They knew what to do and how to do it very well, and made some money on the way.

DIET from DP via the BBC Newsite ""[Chas] used to say to me years ago, 'They'll only recognise us when we're dead, that's when they'll cotton on to us," he said.

"A lot of people don't really get us, what we are. They just think it's down the old pub, 'Knees Up Mother Brown'. It's not. There's a lot more to Chas and Dave's music than that."

Word.

That word being, Gertcha!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"