I quit my job

chris661
Shed dweller

#1 I quit my job

Post by chris661 »

So, I've been working as a chef in a big shopping centre for a year and a half. Having gone over my finances, gone over them again and then triple-checked, I've registered as self-employed. I have about a year to get some kind of business off the ground. You probably all know I have the kit etc.

I've had some reviews and a couple of bands have asked me to help out in the coming year. Its a very exciting (and also terrifying) time for me - whether or not I eat will depend on whether people think I'm worth paying for.

So, I'd like to ask that if anyone on here needs PA, or knows someone that needs equipment, please please send them here: http://www.grimshawaudio.com/

If anyone's interested, here's an outdoor measurement of one of the top speakers I use, with all four ports open for a ~85Hz tuning frequency (pink trace is nearfield bass response, since reflections are coming into play down there). Blocking 3 of them off gives a ~50Hz tuning, which means they can go pretty low, albeit at reduced SPL.

See you all at the next Owston!

Chris
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: I quit my job

Post by Cressy Snr »

Great stuff Chris and break a leg :wink:
The first thing in your favour is that you are starting a business involving something you clearly love doing.
At your age, who wants to work for the man and be on a zero hours contract on minimum wage?
Employers these days are taking the piss big style, with no comeback, no redress and carte blanche to hire and fire at will.
Sod 'em! and sod the inevitable naysayers. I know you can do it! :D
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
shane
Social outcast

#3 Re: I quit my job

Post by shane »

A brave decision, but definitely the right thing to do. If you fly, you fly. If you crash and burn, you can still fly again, but if you never take off on your own, you'll never go anywhere!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
cressy
Shed dweller

#4 Re: I quit my job

Post by cressy »

Good luck with it Chris, its definitely worth putting in the work and hours to build something that's yours.
Its taken me a couple of years to get myself established as a go to person for certain things and I get enquiries from all over the world for what i do.
Be realistic on what you want to achieve at first, and don't expect things to happen overnight. and above all never give up. Ever.
If you need help from someone, ask them and don't be afraid to say no to people either. There will be times when you can't provide what someone wants, swallow your pride and say no. The minute you overreach yourself is when things could potentially go south. So be straight with your customers.
It will be hard, but keep plodding away and you will end up being a go to person for what you do
Cheers ant
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: I quit my job

Post by Mike H »

Power to your elbow! :thumbright:

I went self-employed in 1988, OK no 'perks' like paid holiday or sick leave, never got rich, have to keep your own accounts, pay HMRC their cut (Inland Revenue as was), and make sure got the money to do it(!), VAT and all that sh!t, but never regretted it. Never wanted to be a 'wage slave' again if I could help it.

I have mentioned your web site on Facebook as I'm linked to a few musicians and guitar amp builder types on there.

Something else I was going to write here but have forgotten. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: I quit my job

Post by pre65 »

Hi Chris, what happened to your ambition to be a Doctor ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: I quit my job

Post by IslandPink »

Respect there Chris - brave move. All the very best, hope it works out well for you. Good time to be making a change , and New Year coming up which must feel 'right' . Keep us posted.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#8 Re: I quit my job

Post by Ali Tait »

+1. All the best Chris, hope it works out for you.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: I quit my job

Post by jack »

Good for you, Chris. Good luck with your plans - really hope it pans out well..
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
chris661
Shed dweller

#10 Re: I quit my job

Post by chris661 »

pre65 wrote:Hi Chris, what happened to your ambition to be a Doctor ?
Goodness me, that was a while ago!
I'm not sure exactly. I don't think I quite got the grades at A-level to do medicine, or perhaps it was that it'd take so long at university... I really don't know. Ended up doing a Physics degree, anyway, but it was working at the Students' Union that was more useful.

Thank-you all for the kind wishes. Its been a while since I've seen you all, so I'm very much looking forward to the next Owston.
I'll keep you all updated as best as I can. There's also a blog on the website that has photos and things that have happened so far.

Cheers, all, and Merry Christmas.

Chris