Nicks moving forward News, public discussion if desired.

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote:I can help ( have been doing so anyway last week or two ) but I await to see what power we can be given . I know Nick is v.v.busy at the moment so we need to be patient on his response.
Whatever you want. But you can't do stuff I can't do. So no matter how much you might wish for world peace, its not going to happen.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Beware making a knee-jerk reaction chaps. Just sayin'.

Have seen worse, some youtube comments for instance.

This forum is pleasantly devoid of such antics usually, so it's a bit of a shock when it happens. Probably just a question of time tho.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

if it takes some load off Nick
I need to be very clear here, and run the risk of offending people I regard as close and important friends.

Up to now, there was no load to this place, it was fine, it just was. What has changed, and what will continue that change is the result of people insisting that "something must be done". Once that door is opened, then this place will change, probably forever, once posts are deleted, and edited, and users are blocked (real users not just spam bots) then it will require work to maintain that. Thats the load I am not prepared to do, not because of time or the work involved, but because it will make this place into something I created this forum to escape. If thats what (and its clear that it is) the majority wishes then thats how it should go, but I am not prepared to be responsible for that process in any way other than keeping the lights on.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I think at least a couple of weeks should be taken before any decisions are made perhaps?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Perhaps we "regulars" should take a vote ?

The motion is to leave things as they are.

I vote in favour. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yes as Ali said, it is good that the forum more or less runs its self as does the WD forum well most of you know that as well
But just a viewpoint
The one thing you all may have over looked is that most of you know each other so if all three of you are friends so this could perhaps compromise a decision to ban someone for example
Because all three of you think, he/she is a moron, which is not always a reason to ban someone
I think it helps us on WD as one of us is unknown to the others i.e. Me as I do not know the others personally but just by user names or pm,s
Which seems to me a better and fair way to decide on something an unbiased view Again just a viewpoint to consider maybe?
PS but whatever you all decide to do is fine with me it's good to have some sort of moderators in the back ground I think but no changes to forum rules we know that from passed WD rule revamp
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

OK,

I vote to leave things alone

With the following rule that ought to be enshrined in an unwritten code of conduct

Think before you click
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Nick, I fully understand your view, I'm all for leaving as is... my offer of help was made incase you needed it as a friend, perhaps instead all us regulars should simply ignore and refrain from posting any retorts to unpleasant posts....I think Paul made this observation in another thread.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I've kept out of it for now but there comes a time ....

I wonder why do peeps want things "clearing up", it'll do nothing about some spat that happened on a forum on the net, summat like that can't be retrospectively mended by moderation magic. Happens all time. No biggie IMO.

Also, I don't feel I need 'protecting' from people that have a different view about audio from me and voice that opinion freely on here or another forum. Its words, on the web. Take a step back and look at the big piccie, nothings happened has it really? All I can see is 2 or more people don't agree on on summat.....no ones died or been killed or will be over a discussion about electronic equipment that plays music. We're not discussing germ warfare or death rays :-)

FWIW, I like it when "outta-towners" come in with what the regulars (that's me and you) find uncomfortably different views. Jack, Romy, Lynn, CV, Gary and just about everybody else on this forum has made me think about stuff differently. That's healthy, very healthy IMO.

I occasionally post on another forum that is very heavily moderated by folk who believe though know what's right. Its a good forum in some ways but stiflingly frustrating and straightlaced when it comes to expression.

I would hate that to happen here. Keep the Audio-Talk creativity and educational vibe and wild off thread fun diversions, its easy enough to pull back to the original point in the thread.

S'brill here, let's keep it this way.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

There seems to be a consensus growing here.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

shane wrote:There seems to be a consensus growing here.
Nah, its just the way our trousers hang....

ARF!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

I don't post here that often, but I do read and watch most days. I agree that things should be left as is and DtB's words are indeed wise words.

I don't think moderation does anything other than ruin the atmosphere.

If someone gets under your skin, it is MUCH less hassle to ignore them than to rise to them and if they keep getting ignored, they will soon get bored and go away. Don't feed em.... :wink:

An old saying.... It is better to remain silent and let folk think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right. Some folk will just never learn, but let them carry on I say. Like Dave said - No one gets hurt and life goes on. It's just words on t'Internet. :wink:

Just my tuppence worth and FWIW, I too like this place just as it is. Thanks Nick. 8)
©2020 Lee
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

As every month goes by, a bit more of my world disappears ...
"I think Mr. Newton has had enough"
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
thomas
Old Hand

Post by thomas »

I post here even less, but again, read and learn most days....
I've certainly learned about trolls these past few days :D

I agree with Nick's attitude towards 'moderation' and I hope no 'heavier' mods will be necessary...
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

thomas wrote:I post here even less, but again, read and learn most days....
I've certainly learned about trolls these past few days :D

I agree with Nick's attitude towards 'moderation' and I hope no 'heavier' mods will be necessary...
My view too...
This is all too knee jerk for me..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number