6GK5

If they glow, this is the place to be
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 6GK5

Post by andrew Ivimey »

B7G, ra of 5.4k, mu of 81 !!! Is this valve as good as it looks????

any experience?

Right now I'm enjoying a little weird one called 7F8W - double triode, loctal high Mu and not bad anode resistance (partic. as I am paralleling it, though we all know, paralleling is not good.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Found this snippet !

6GK5 / 6FQ5A

The standard tube in the 2nd Gain Stage is the 6GK5, also known as the 6FQ5A (many are labeled with both numbers). RCA is the brand of choice here, being especially rich in midrange tone and detail. Though they can be almost too rich and caramel sounding, American made GE tubes are a close second. Beware of GE tubes that are made in Great Britain -- these are actually rebranded Mullards. The latter also show up under the Pro/Comm label, too. Examples by Mullard, Sylvania, Hitachi, Magnavox (which are rebranded Hitachi tubes), and others, are less musical and thinner sounding.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

hm, so a Mullard valve is not as good as a US valve; interesting.

bet they are dreadfully microphonic!
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Not tried one but I ought to, the D3A is good but has its flaws.

Got any to spare, Andrew?
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

As a triode (cos its to drive a transformer) how does the D3a compare?

I am looking for the driver from hell!
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

How much gain do you need?

All the high mu & high gm tubes take some taming, in my opinion. I suppose there's no free lunch :roll:

-- Andrew
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

That's the problem - ain't it always! The 7F8W has a mu of 48, which I double to 96! by paralleling and halve the ra also so that's down to 7.25k. (hm, thinks, do I actually double the mu in parallel or am I fooling myself? - don't know)

The 7F8w goes into the primary of a lundahl 1660s interstage, which then drives 45s in push pull. There are NO capacitors in the amplifier but I am sacrificing some gain having removed the cathode cap on the 7F8W cathodes. I tried caps on the 45s but it sounds better without.

Amazing clarity,detail and dynamics etc. I'd love to match these ancient 45s, too. I'll probably switch to 2A3s to get a 'matched' output pair, then end up making a push pull pair of the 7F8W front end (that would give me double the gain) but I'd also be back with my friend 'Amity'!

I'd already concluded that I must do a three stage version to get gallons of power.

Anyway, let's face it, as you say, andyrew, 'there's no such thing such as a free lunch'.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

andrew Ivimey wrote:
I am looking for the driver from hell!
that'll be me then..I'm up for weddings, bar mitzvahs, funerals and the odd bank job....easy rates!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'll bear that in mind Ed, thanks :wink:
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

andrew Ivimey wrote:That's the problem - ain't it always! The 7F8W has a mu of 48, which I double to 96! by paralleling and halve the ra also so that's down to 7.25k. (hm, thinks, do I actually double the mu in parallel or am I fooling myself? - don't know)
You second point was correct as I understand it, paralleling doubles gm but mu stays the same.

The 7F8w goes into the primary of a lundahl 1660s interstage, which then drives 45s in push pull. There are NO capacitors in the amplifier but I am sacrificing some gain having removed the cathode cap on the 7F8W cathodes. I tried caps on the 45s but it sounds better without.

Amazing clarity,detail and dynamics etc. I'd love to match these ancient 45s, too. I'll probably switch to 2A3s to get a 'matched' output pair, then end up making a push pull pair of the 7F8W front end (that would give me double the gain) but I'd also be back with my friend 'Amity'!

I'd already concluded that I must do a three stage version to get gallons of power.
What swing does a 45 need? Can't be more than 35v, can it? Does the Llundhal cause a step down?

Anyway, let's face it, as you say, andyrew, 'there's no such thing such as a free lunch'.
Sadly not.

-- Andrew
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

the lundahl is 1 to 1+1 - that's okay!

Actually without all those (nasty) caps, right now, I think it is rather special. Oh I'll get used to it and decide otherwise, hack into it and do something else but right now... just right now, its very sweet indeed - wish I had matched 45s. use a CCS to pull things into lien a bit? CCS on the driver valve anyway? Amity? KARNA?

onwards