Driver tube choice

If they glow, this is the place to be
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
User

#1 Driver tube choice

Post by Crazy Bill the Eel Killer »

Hello all,

Ali Tait suggested I post here.

I'm new to this stuff, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I hang in a few forums on the other side of the pond, and I can't get enough of tubes.

my present amp config is a 6922 ( 6h23n-eb cryoed ) IT ( Electra-print ) coupled to a triode strapped EL84 ( 6n14n-eb ) High quality ( Transcendar OPTs). All based upon a modified Decware SE84CSEX . I absolutely love how this baby sounds. However,

Keeping the EL84(triode strapped and UL) as the output tube, what other options would you guys suggest as a driver tube in two different possible configs.

1). IT coupled. I have tried the above mentioned Rusky 6922 and 6n1p-ev this way. ( along with JAN NOS 6922 ( crappy sounding ). I biased both types according to their needs ( while they're listed as interchangeable, their bias requirements are vastly different ).

2). RC coupled designs. I haven't tried it yet, but I have in hand both nos Rusky EF86 and NOS Valvo EF86, which I will try in a typical RC couple design. ( Rusky teflon coupling caps in hand)

Let me know what has worked for you, or what you think will work in these applications. Since I'm new, I don't know what tubes may be better that what I'm using now, and I'm willing to try anything. (CCS, choke, R , IT loaded,whatever). I really like the triode strapped( or UL) EL84 as the output tube, and my OPT iron is really good, and I want to end up with the ULTIMATE amp with this output config ( I will be building a preamp (( 12b4 based )), so it doesn't have to come to full power w/ 2v input, though it would be nice ).

So, let's have it guys, what would you suggest as other options for these two possible applications, or have I accidentally stumbled upon the best tubes ( I doubt I could get that lucky ).

Wondering from the other side of the pond

Thanks, in advance, for your help,

Crazy Bill :D
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Looking at the gain of a el84 triode strapped, you have large choice of options for a driver. I would suggest one of my fave stages, a choke loaded 76. You have the advantage of a 6.3v heater to make life simple. Needs something like a 250v supply and a couple of the hammond 150H chokes. Couple to the output valve with a nice cap, maybe a russion PIO that Dave found so good (Dave, do you have details of the supplier?)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

The 88 is a bit of an oddball valve, good for what it was designed for, but needs to be used with care (imho), but it does make a very good cascode, for example.

I think Steve found the 5687 to be more to his liking than an 88, this could also be choke loaded; the general consensus seems to be that you can never have enough chokes.

So that's 2 valves to give a go.

-- Andrew
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote: Couple to the output valve with a nice cap, maybe a russion PIO that Dave found so good (Dave, do you have details of the supplier?)
I got my Non-stick and PIO caps from this chappy, http://stores.ebay.co.uk/KW-TUBES

Have you played with the PIO's Nick? Impressions?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I have to admit Dave, I haven't had chance yet, I should make the effort given you made the effort to send a couple to me.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:I have to admit Dave, I haven't had chance yet, I should make the effort given you made the effort to send a couple to me.
S'alright, plenty of time yet.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
User

Post by Crazy Bill the Eel Killer »

Hello all,

First, sorry it took so long to reply. I'm running for public office here in Ct., USA, and there's not much time for any fun stuff. That said,

Nick, I took a good look at the 76, and I really liked what I saw. But over here there's really a shortage of those babies. Even Fleabay couldn't produce. I'm leery of using tubes I would have trouble sourcing. Do you guys know of a reliable source for these tubes. I'd love to try them, if I could source a lifetime supply ( I'm 57 so I don't need a whole lot of them ).

Andrew and Steve,

thanks for the tip on the 5687. I'll definitely try to source a couple and give a listen. I've read a lot of good stuff on this tube, and I look forward to hearing what it can do.

Again, many thanks from the other side of the pond,

Cheers, Crazy Bill

:D
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I would just keep a lookout for 76s on ebay, they should come up now and again. If you can change the heater tp 2.5v then the 56 is the same with the different heater. The octal equivilant is the 6p5 but I have not tried that myself.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

yeah, way to go Nick...the new sig seems to make more snese than the last one, at least it does to me.......
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I thought you would either like it or be horribly offended, in both cases there was no excuse not to use it :-).