46 as a driver valve

If they glow, this is the place to be
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 46 as a driver valve

Post by Cressy Snr »

I've been having a look round for a direct heated driver with a 2V ish filament I could use as a comparison to a 26 for driving my PX25s. I came across the 46 direct heated tetrode, that triode strapped looks fantastic in terms of its curves... a beautiful valve.

Choke loaded, it would form part of a really nice experiment to do using a choke loaded ML4 or 76 as the input valve.

Has anyone used the 46? If so tell me about it.

I just need a couple of 2.5V heater transformers to get the experiment going as my only pair are having to be used to power the rectifier on the breadboard due to the mains TX having no 5V winding.

Steve
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

As you might imagine, I have couple of these poised and ready to implement. If you look at the spec. sheets you can do a couple of interesting things with that second grid, both as driver and output stage.

Ditto with a 47. I have some of these too!

But don't tell everyone; they'll all want some.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

I've ordered a couple of 46s in ST bottles. Apparently the Cunningham globes are supposed to be the ones to have but are expensive and hard to find nowadays.

Looks like a very interesting valve that can handle plenty of grid current if one is prepared to be adventurous.

I'll stick with A1 to start with.

Steve