There's no such thing as a bad 2A3 ...

If they glow, this is the place to be
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 There's no such thing as a bad 2A3 ...

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Taking time off from the wrangles with Amity; I'm ready for a rebuild but too busy and I need more time to think.

I went back to a couple of the splendid and worthwile Gordon Rankin designs. For all those who poo-poo SRPP both the Bugle and the silver (mini) Ongaku both use this and then use 45 for Bugle and 2A3 for silver Ongaku as SE outputs.

Well, with a few switches on silver ongaku I can swap valves to my heart's content. Even a pair of knackered (Amity doesn't like them) Valve Arts twin plates sounds really lovely. 6072s are far preferable to ecc81s and it is fascinating how, although I can torture it, the 45s do not like the load line/cathode resistor of the 2A3 and so although quieter they are much more happy on their own curves than the 2A3 ones. 2A3s are louder.

Whither next? I feel a shishido/Bluebell Audio Loftin White coming on!
Last edited by andrew Ivimey on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-when i have perfected the 845 "lash up" i might like to try a 2A3 version of the Rankin 45 DC CC.

Nick suggested using an EL34 as the pentode "bit" with a suitable triode driver.

When the time comes i will discuss it further.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, I just said it might works, I think the 45/ECL82 is just perfect as it is though.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

pre65 wrote:Hi-when i have perfected the 845 "lash up" i might like to try a 2A3 version of the Rankin 45 DC CC.

Nick suggested using an EL34 as the pentode "bit" with a suitable triode driver.

When the time comes i will discuss it further.
Would something like a 76 be a good thing to try as the input valve for this hypothetical amplifier ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Maybe, night not have enough gain, but it would mean working it all out, its not just a case of picking a valve and wireing it up.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.