Driver Valves

If they glow, this is the place to be
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#1 Driver Valves

Post by Ali Tait »

Following a chat with Swampy at Owston,I'll be after some kt66 and 88's to try in the Mr Liang.Anyone have any recommendations on any particular makes?
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

who was Swampy, I'd have liked to have met him! ?
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Yes, I also missed him and would have really liked to have put his face to his name. I've built his filter which continues to do sterling work on all my digital stuff (TV, cable box, VCR, DVD, CD, DAC and also into tuner and Garrard 401). Only the amps are isolated because the filter seems to spoil their sparkle. I've also built his SRPP pre in the past. It didn't work for me at the time but I now may have a new application where it would be very relevant considering the available gain.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Don't know if you will remember,but he was the guy about my height,quite slender with receded black hair cut short.He had smallish black glasses on,and I think a blue top,and was a thoroughly nice chap! Yes Greg,I still use his mains filter too.I find it excellent.
swampy
User

Post by swampy »

Ali Tait wrote:with receded black hair cut short.
Hey... slightly thinning :lol:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, and I am starting to go grey :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-not sure if this is the right section for this question !

The Rankin 45 DC CC amp that Mo now has got some very nice comments about the sound quality at Owston and i was wondering (for the future :lol: ) if the way the ECL82 was implemented as the driver/cc source in this circuit (PM me for a copy) would be suitable (with slight mods of course) to power a 2A3 (or even a 300b) and so give a little more power for slightly less sensitive speakers ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, on the face of it there are two restrictions. The load that the 45 presents to the driver valve is far less than a 2a3 or 45, so its easy for the triode to drive the 45, it might need a better driver for the other valves. The second is the dissapation limits of the pentode, it might be to much if running at 2a3 or 300b level. However the shape could be used maybe using a el34 as the pentode, and driver valve of your choice as the triode.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Thanks Ali. From your description I met Swampy and we talked. Problem is I didn't realise Swampy was Swampy if you know what I mean! Swampy I think you used your first name which I'm now embarassed not to recall :oops: It's a great shame that at the time I did not make the name connection because that would have opened up good converstation. Please come next time and we can pick up from there.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

Greg wrote:Thanks Ali. From your description I met Swampy and we talked. Problem is I didn't realise Swampy was Swampy if you know what I mean! Swampy I think you used your first name which I'm now embarassed not to recall :oops: It's a great shame that at the time I did not make the name connection because that would have opened up good converstation. Please come next time and we can pick up from there.
I think it's David
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

David Marsh, if i remember correctly.

Hence......Swampy.

Ooops, should have let him answer himself.
Much to learn there is.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ha! I wondered at the moniker - the mystery unravels!
swampy
User

Post by swampy »

al newall wrote:David Marsh, if i remember correctly.

Hence......Swampy.

Ooops, should have let him answer himself.

Yes... I know the name swampy is not very original now with that guy who digs the tunnels.... but in my first proper job after uni (20 yrs ago) one of my work colleges shouted across the office for me and said hey Swampy, come here. Marsh.. swamp.. swampy, not very original I know.. That nick name then just stuck with everyone, to my dismay at the time.

Yep... David is my real name.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

or "Boggy" as in radio 2 (Wogans sidekick) :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Happened to me when i went to Grammar School.
As soon as the rest of the kids found out my middle name was Albert, I was instantly renamed.
Been known as Albert (or some variation of) ever since.

No, Al isn't short for Alan. :)
Much to learn there is.