6D22S voltage rating.

If they glow, this is the place to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 6D22S voltage rating.

Post by pre65 »

Hi-reading the specs for the 6D22S i am a bit confused about the maximum voltage rating.

http://www.evatco.com.au/sed_files/6D22Sspec.pdf

Does it mean 600v if the heaters are at 6.3v and more if the heaters are "raised" ?

what's "peak inverse anode voltage" ? Says 6000v !

As Nick is using them in his new 211 amp i would have thought that was on more than 600v ! :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Does it mean 600v if the heaters are at 6.3v and more if the heaters are "raised" ?
Yes, though thats a rather misleading way oif putting it. The heater will always be run at 6.3v, whats important is the voltage difference between the heater and the cathode. If the heater is at 0v, then the cathode can be no higher than 600v above that. If the heater is at 1000v, the cathode can be at 1600v, and so on. remember, there is no such thing as a absolute voltage, just a difference in potential between points.

The peak inverse voltage refers to how positive the cathode can be in relation to the anode, you will never get the anode to be 6000v higher than the cathode, as it would conduct removing the voltage difference.

In the case of my amp. Its got a 1440v CT secondary winding, so we can calculate the max voltage and peak voltage the rectifier would see. On the positive swing, the voltage will peak at 1015v ((1440/2)*1.41), so the diode will conduct, charging the cap that follows up to 1015v (minus the forward voltage drop of the rectifier). Then at the negative swing, the anode is driven to -1015v, so the voltage across the diode is -2030v (1015 - -1015). So we are well withing the max inverse voltage, but as the cathode is above 600v, I can't use a heater supply that is at 0v, so I ensure I have a 6.3v supply on the transformer that is insulated for use at 1000, link the cathode to the heater supply, and its all happy.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi Nick-thanks for that.I understand now !

The toroidal transformers that i (and several others) use from Antec-(see link) is-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/720V-CT-360V-400V ... m153.l1262

Can you tell from the specs if they would be suitable to use the 6.3v windings at 700-1000v ?

It says the insulation is tested to 3,500v !

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I don;t know, the insulating rating would say so. But unless you are going to use a full wave bridge, you won't have more than 500v or so from a 360v - 0 360v tx.

Unless you weant to do a voltage doubler, which is what I used to get 600v from a 240v secondary.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi Nick-i have sent Antek an e-mail to see what they think.

Just musing at the mo but what i had in mind was a full wave bridge followed by a valve bum frier or a pair of 6D22S diodes.

As i'm "financially embarrassed" this next project need to be using what i have to hand.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, that would work, maybe a hybrid bridge using a couple of SS rects and a couple of 6d22s.

Looking at the advert, they test the primary/secondary at HV, not secondary/secondary. But as long as you use the two 6.3v windings for the rectifiers, and use another TX for any other heaters that should be perfectly fine.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Well this is going to be a "power" stage only,so only the diodes to feed from 6.3V.

Thinking of 805 or possibly an 813 at the moment.

I will be attempting to use my 300B SE amp to provide the drive !

Edmund Burke