romys dset concept

If they glow, this is the place to be
Steptoe
User

#31 Romy's dset concept

Post by Steptoe »

Dear Romy, although you obviously are way ahead of me in the physics of sound reproduction, may I venture to suggest that anyone who inserts mu metal and aluminium into their rectum is asking for trouble. Yours sincerely, Steptoe.
lexx21
New User

Post by lexx21 »

I think that this idea of dset is interesting. I had intended to try something similar using an active tube crossover and multiple amplifiers, but I also like the idea of the OPT being wound for a specific frequency range.

Who would be able to wind OPT to that sort of specification? Living in the US, and with manufacturers located here I know Edcor wouldn't be up to the task. Hammond is made in China now so they are out of the question. Transcendar ....... maybe since it is a one man operation.

Would Lunahl wind custom transformers such as this?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

In the US you could try Dave Slagle or Bud Pervine.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

lexx21 wrote:Hammond is made in China now
Are you sure ? :shock:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I would definitely recommend Bud Purvine ( O-Netics ) over Lundahl .
Dave Slagle is also excellent .
I have two pairs of Bud Purvine 2A3 SE outputs, one wound for general use from 20H upwards, and another smaller pair from 150Hz upwards with litz-wire on the secondaries.
Bud has the data on both these options on file.
The level of (genuine) detail on the smaller pair is pretty surprising .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
P.H.
User

Post by P.H. »

IslandPink wrote:another smaller pair from 150Hz upwards with litz-wire on the secondaries.
The level of (genuine) detail on the smaller pair is pretty surprising .
It seems Bud knows very well what he's doing, as multiple thin wires perform way better than a single thick one, especially in context of upper mids and HFs.
Do you have any idea of their upper frequency limit?
Are these single or double C-core type? Any pics?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Not sure but I can contact him ( or you can, on this board, PM 'BudP' ) to ask . It will be well past 50Khz , I can guarantee . Part no. is PN 50167 .

Some useful data -
Input:
Primary; reflected impedance 3.0 kZ ohms 1* to 2
Leads 1* to 2: 50 ohms DCR,
175 Hz to 20 kHz +0 -0.5 dB, 85 vac RMS (120 vac PktoPk)
4.6 Henries @ 85 vac &175 Hz with 60ma DC current draw.
2.7 henries 1 vac 120 Hz 33 ga. M3 core
Output:
Secondary impedance;
Leads 3* to 4: 0.15 ohms DCR 4 Z ohms
Leads 3* to 5: 0.34 ohms DCR 8 Z ohms
Leads 3* to 6: 0.87 ohms DCR 16 Z ohms

The cores are only E-I , but with some non-standard stacking I believe. Bud seems to be able to match or outperform other people's C-cores or double C-cores, when using E-I . The 'standard' level II 2A3 transformers without the litz wire , ( 20Hz to 20kHz 0.5dB ) slightly outperform Dave Slagle's amorphous double-C core 300B trannies, which I also have here .

A lot of the coupling at HF is capacitive, and Bud has some special techniques with material choice in the interlayers which give particularly good HF .
Attachments
ONetics_2A3x2.JPG
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

pre65 wrote:
lexx21 wrote:Hammond is made in China now
Are you sure ? :shock:
Bad news, after your big purchase? :D

Frankly, what is the difference between winding a transformer in China (if quality control is applied) and winding a transformer in Canada (possibly by immigrants who are paid less than locals, just to add some spice to it)?

Now, without wishing or intending to insult anyone, let me draw a parallel:

Some multinational companies (they basically could be labelled TNC) are migrating their call center operations to Serbia (it's called outsourcing, now - and the name for it is "managed calls"). Instead of having your call answered by college dropouts (maybe even high-school dropouts) without much ambition in life (and that seems to be a good place to send your children to - if they don't want to study, so they can see first hand what life has in store for them in that case) - your call will now be answered by college graduates or even Master studies graduates who happen to be living in a country where unemployment is high and they happen to speak foreign languages - that being a chance to work and earn.

Now, without adding that the wages paid by those companies are lower than they would pay in the US or UK (which is the main reason for migrating their operation) - try guessing who will provide a better service (the unambitious dropouts, or the unemployed and impoverished BA/MA/PhD bunch)? We are not discussing whether this is fair, but whether the guys who wind Hammond in China (if that is true, of course) are better than the guys doing it in Canada.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I am reasonably sure that the sort of Hammond parts us guys use are still made in Canada. It is likely that some other high volume parts may be outsourced, but that is business.

Re the situation with call centres in other countries, I hope the situation in your country will be better than what we currently experience with Indian call centres at the moment.

In my experience, 90% of my dealings with them have been unsatisfactory, and I suppose (being honest) most of that is to do with understanding them even though their use of English is good.

But then I might have the same opinion in the UK if there was a strong regional accent. :wink:
Last edited by pre65 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Wore kid went doon ta Wembly to watch the Magpies in the final. there were fower of them crammed into Wore kid's Mini Coopa. Anyways, they get's to the car park and the ownly speace left was the managing directors. anyway they divn't want te be layert for the match, so they park oop.

Then along comes the MD in his Rolls Royce with his chaufeur, and he says to the choufeur "I say old chap, go and have a word with those people parked in my spot."

On returning the MD syas "well, did you have any luck"

"no sir, but I got the name of their scolicitors, Haddaway and Shyte!"
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

pre65 wrote: Re the situation with call centres in other countries, I hope the situation in your country will be better than what we currently experience with Indian call centres at the moment.

In my experience, 90% of my dealings with them have been unsatisfactory, and I suppose (being honest) most of that is to do with understanding them even though their use of English is good.

But then I might have the same opinion in the UK if there was a strong regional accent. :wink:
The problem with Indian call centers is twofold:
1) The so called "Pidgin English", which is rather difficult to understand, but very simple to imitate (at least for us, it is possible that Englishmen are not able to speak that way). I guess the term is actually denigratory, but being a foreigner I do not possess the same awareness of political correctness as you do.
2) The real problem is the fact that they live in a very different society (non-European) and are not capable of fully integrating with the concepts required for proper call center operation.
3) The above does not apply when you are being answered from a near-shore outsourced call center. In many cases you might not be aware where the call center is actually located, and would have no problem in being understood, or understanding the answer.

The only real problem with near-shore call centers is the fact that they represent a serious distortion of social roles and business activities in the countries where they are located. On one hand, people are paid competitive salaries overall, while on the other they are thus enticed into performing jobs well below their educational profile and non conducive to their career. Of course, the management positions in those centers are held by foreigners, adding distortion - because you get a team of BA/MA workers managed by a high-school or college dropout whose only quality is having several years of call-center work experience... you can only imagine the bliss of such a life.
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

Paul Barker wrote: ... "no sir, but I got the name of their scolicitors, Haddaway and Shyte!"
Great depiction of accent and grammar... but Scots are generally more difficult, and it gets even worse when the one calling is actually speaking mostly Gaelic, thus even her colleagues do not understand everything she says - imagine what the call center operator, or agent, is supposed to understand?!

On the other hand, they usually comment "we got through to the Americans", because most people here speak "American" English (You say tomato, I say tomato, you say potato I say potato...)!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Alex, the accent Paul was portraying there was not Scots, but Geordie - the Newcastle area in the North East. :D
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

Ali Tait wrote:Alex, the accent Paul was portraying there was not Scots, but Geordie - the Newcastle area in the North East. :D
Yes, I know... :D

We are actually always surprised at the variety of accents, and usually comment how "these guys could not pass English, no way... they would fall even on resit". We were taught something that resembles "Queen's English". In the end, it is more like some "clean" form of American, depending on the teacher...

Some consider my accent to be rather "posh", but that is only because they are not aware how bad it actually is. On the other hand, my Italian is more like "native of Rome and the area".
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

I had a call passed through to me from a CSR in our call centre in Merthyr Tydfil yesterday. The customer was German, the CSR very Welsh, and neiher could understand a word the other was saying, although I had no problem with either of them.

We have call centres in Plymouth, Merthyr, Doxford, North Tyneside (Newcastle), Waterford (Eire), Johannesburg, Mumbai and Manilla. Generally the Geordies are a bit dour but know their stuff, the Welsh are OK but not great at lateral thinking, the Irish are an absolute delight to talk to, the Indians are usually polite, friendly, efficient and effective or incomprehensible and hopeless and prone to making wild promises to customers, and talking to Manila is like talking to a robot.

I was told the other day that the Manillans can only keep their jobs for a year before their employers become liable for tax and get rid of them. Not sure if that's true, but it does put perspective on their performance.

Spare a thought for the poor CSR when you ring, and just think about the three hours I spent the other day talking a Chinese who learned English in Liverpool through the process of dong a system restore on a Windows Vista laptop in order to get his 3G dongle to work...
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.