romys dset concept

If they glow, this is the place to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Romy The Cat wrote: Generally the glass cores (amorphous) are nice but they might be too fast and in some cases they act like a bow that has not enough rosin.
I hear you with that description.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Now I start an offshoot.

The sound of the bow without rosin is what I spent my money running away from but it sneaks up and joins the party uninvited.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

Qui cum canibus concumbunt cum pulicibus surgent...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Alex Kitic wrote:Qui cum canibus concumbunt cum pulicibus surgent...
Well, given we run a lurcher rescue here, and have 30 around at any one, one finds its perfectly possible to ignore picking up unwanted parasites.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

Nick wrote:
Well, given we run a lurcher rescue here, and have 30 around at any one, one finds its perfectly possible to ignore picking up unwanted parasites.
One rotten apple spoils the barrel...

but the important notion in life is to keep in perspective which apple is rotten and whether it can really spoil them all ;)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Not sure if that is an entirely appropriate quote. :(
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Alex Kitic wrote:
Nick wrote:
One rotten apple spoils the barrel...

but the important notion in life is to keep in perspective which apple is rotten and whether it can really spoil them all ;)
A better perspective (IMHO) is that there are no rotten apples, just opportunitys for cider.
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

pre65 wrote:
Not sure if that is an entirely appropriate quote. :(
I guess it is obvious to whom might that apply.
I'm sorry if others feel offended.

Anyway, it is very difficult to mind your company in such public places that provide anonymity to those looking for it, as well as the freedom to offend others. In real life, there are people you pass by on the street without even being aware they exist, and you can avoid their comments with the same ease with which you can kick their offenses back into their mouth. On forums it is difficult to ignore the insults, yet totally impossible to avoid them - that is maybe why one needs to mind his company even more than in normal circumstances.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Pleas look into some of the recent history of the forum.
Romy The Cat
User

Post by Romy The Cat »

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Romy The Cat wrote:
Nick wrote:.... your method, I think it solves the problems of connecting complex loudspeaker systems to valve amps far better than attempting to fix the problems using feedback and other slight of hand.
But what feedback has to do with anything? The whole idea of feedback was introduced by Confused Alex and now you use it as it is some kind of alternative to DSES. Feedback has no relevance to the subject.
No, feedback was brought into the conversation because I mentioned the interaction between drivers that DSET avoids. Alex replied that there was no interaction with his amps, I responded that the only way to do this with valves was to use feedback to produce low output impedance. I dont use it as an alternative, but as something that would be required to attempt to avoid one of the problems DSET solves. One of the advantages I see with DSET is it removes the requirement of using feedback.
Romy The Cat
User

Post by Romy The Cat »

Nick wrote: No, feedback was brought into the conversation because I mentioned the interaction between drivers that DSET avoids. Alex replied that there was no interaction with his amps, I responded that the only way to do this with valves was to use feedback to produce low output impedance. I dont use it as an alternative, but as something that would be required to attempt to avoid one of the problems DSET solves. One of the advantages I see with DSET is it removes the requirement of using feedback.
Running a global feedback to lower output impedance in SETs is as stupid as adding pepperoncini paper in ice-cream. Alex has his irrelevant fantasies as he is in a desperate need to defend his little backyard but it does not hide that fact that does not even undusted what the subject it. There is no output impedance in DSET as concept. This parameter not even considered. Since in DSET application each channel coupled to own speaker driver then output impedance, damping factor and all of this crap is irrelevant. The only thing that you worry is output stage loading or the mitigating the OPT ratio. You can drive 150R channel with DSET of 0.015R - it is all irrelevant to you as it will only affect your OPT design and it will be foe this channel only. It is not to mention that it is impossible to deal with many aspect of driver interaction even if your amp does have very low output impedance. A non-DSET configuration implies speaker level passive filtration. Your bass driver ride inductance that add in series to your bass low pass coil rising you crossover point. The coils begin to act as current gyroscope, impacting your low current sensitive MF diaphragm. Take SS amp with very low output and if you know what to listed for you still be hearing it and of cause any Alex's resonating chains on speaker level are not appropriate for people who have ears and some taste in sound. Now, what would you do if your MF driver require your output tube to be heavy loaded - your feedback will kill as you would need in fact high output impedance for your MF. What would you do it your MF need negative output impedance but your MF positive and high output impedance? What I am saying is that DSET is a tool to conduct your playback in the way how you need it ti be. Alex insists that it would be necessary only in case of bad recordings. Well, he is a Moron and there are plenty of them out there. It is kind of shame, Serbian people uselessly are very smart and demonstrate a lot of advance thinking. Perhaps in your European barrel there one Moronic Serbian fruit.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

One practical question - regarding the chokes used for filter slopes in Melquiades :
What items do you use for these - did you wind them youself, or use stock items, or get someone like Dave/Bud to wind them for you ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Romy The Cat
User

Post by Romy The Cat »

IslandPink wrote:One practical question - regarding the chokes used for filter slopes in Melquiades :
What items do you use for these - did you wind them youself, or use stock items, or get someone like Dave/Bud to wind them for you ?
Nope, I do not wine anything myself, I have no silks and no interest to develop silks. I do think that one I got from Dave. Another from a European company, I do not remember it was Landale or something like this. I think another was RF choke from ham audio supplier. It shall be all in the site, I do not remembered as it was some years back. I would say that the suppliers and chokes are no so important in my configuration as I use subtraction filters where the band pass signal flow across resistor (linear devise) and the current that flow across non-linear coil is flowing to ground. So the core and winding of the coil in this application is not so critical. What is critical is shielding of it. You do want to shield them very anal-retentively, preferably with mu-metal and aluminum.