TJ 845's

If they glow, this is the place to be
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

richardcooper2k wrote:there is some clear shrink stuff you can put over these metal cased caps, but i don't know where to get it from. anyone know ?

if you search heat shrink on ebay there's a few people selling it,
I got some a couple of years ago
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

a yes some big, clear stuff here and they do other sizes as well

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50MM-CLEAR-HEATSH ... 18Q2el1247[/url]

sorry forgot how to (heat) shrink the link
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Hi Al,
Yes,fitted the Obbs at the same time(replacing a pair of Auricaps),though these were in a less critical part of the circuit than the SCR's from what David said on the Triode Systems website,so I'm putting the big hike in performance down to the SCR's as I'd not really noticed a difference with the Auricaps.A lot of cash,but worth it IMHO,in my amp at least.He does say at diyhifisupply that these are the best coupling caps he's found,better than anything else he's tried.He would say that though,given the price! But I've found he wasn't wrong,to my ears at least.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Glad it's all worked out well Ali
I've been using the copper coloured Obbs for a good while, but never had the chance to find out how good/bad they are against any of the "boutique" caps.

Maybe someone would like to loan me something exotic for a comparison. :lol:
Much to learn there is.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Just to continue this little discussion on Obbs, since there's not much else happening on this thread.

Latest trials with these Obbs (copper coloured) confirm that they are warmish and detailed with a well balanced overall sound to them. Ok, we knew that.
Andrew I had reservations about their use as coupling caps, and he may be right, it depends as usual on want you hear.

I'm trying some caps on the input of my recently modded DAC, the Obbs were one of the first because they were a known quantity and i could use them as a sort of reference.

I found some oldish Ansar caps in the shed that i'd never bothered to use because they looked rather grubby, insignificant and uninspiring.
However they happened to be a near enough value for my intended use so i decided to give em a chance.
Initially the Ansar was offensively brash sounding, but i thought it was doing something better than the Obb, so i persevered and it settled down eventually.

The Ansar makes metallic things more metallic, making hi-hats and such, sound more lifelike. It also reveals a previously hidden layer in the mix which benefits the overall sound. The balance is shifted away from the warm Obb sound but not too much that i can't bear to listen.
This is not the sort of difference that requires you to really concentrate in order to hear, it's blatantly obvious.

Conclusion.
Using Obbligatos (and probably many other caps too) at the start of the chain may lose information that can't be retrieved later on.

The next thing i need to find out is...
How do these unlikely looking Ansar caps compare to some of the more widely use ones?
The benefit of trying out caps on the DAC input is...you only need one cap.

If anyone has an odd quality cap lying around that they could loan for testing? Values around 0.22uf to 1uf welcomed.
Much to learn there is.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hi Al, 'sinteresting innit! I too have been very impressed with some 'used' ansars that Nick Lucas was flogging. Originally I used them for PSU duties and then, as the need arose, put them in as ultrapath in that very tricky Amity .... and I was very impressed indeed. I haven't coupled anything with them, I suppose ultrapath is a kind of de-coupling, but they got my vote.

I'm about to use some Obbs for coupling - may be able to say more next week.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I really like what the SCR's are doing at the moment,but I've just bought four 0.47 Russian Teflons from Richard on t'other place to try.I only need two at the mo,so if you want a couple to try Al,drop me a PM and I'll get them off to you when I get them.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I really like what the SCR's are doing at the moment,but I've just bought four 0.47 Russian Teflons from Richard on t'other place to try.I only need two at the mo,so if you want a couple to try Al,drop me a PM and I'll get them off to you when I get them.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Thanks Ali, PM sent.
Much to learn there is.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

No probs.Got them this morning so will get a pair off to you.Be warned they are huge!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Forgot to say,these are brand new so will need some running in, so hang on to it as long as you need.