Phase splitters

If they glow, this is the place to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I liked the sound of using the iron as you describe, but I definitely preferred the sound which is how you heard it at owsten. This is where the winding on the tail is partial,not the equal of thetop winding which is now an anode load,the bottom being feedback not load, gain is greater than one,all phase. Splitting is on the secondary.

Really like it.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Interesting feedback (pun intended) - that is much closer to the operation that Nick described - gain and better sound :D
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

From the "it is about time I built a push pull amplifier" thread.
Paul Barker wrote:
My aim was to phase split the old fashioned way, hence why I am employing the older style of circuit diagram. I wanted more of the organic element which it seriously lacked. The CF driver was by measurment better but the amp as a whole was going further away from what I am likely to use at home. Each time I went back to the SE amp it just floored this pathetic attempt. When I unwitingly changed to "iron concertina" there was an improvement in the organic direction, but I believe that recovering my stated aim of employing the driver as a common cathode amplifier transformer loaded, but with cathode winding feedback to reduce it's impedance mitigate local distortion but retain some element of amplification .

"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
acorn
User

#20 Phase splitter

Post by acorn »

Given the expense of the transformers in the iron concertina, could the
ECF82 phase splitter as used in the Radford amp which is noted to have an excellent top end response be a second best or is it equal or better than a plain concertina, any thoughts welcome.

Acorn
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Iron can be expensive but this interstage transformer is inexpensive and works well in an iron concertina- its the one Paul uses:

http://livinginthepast-audioweb.co.uk/i ... frmrvt1399

and I believe Mike uses it as well...

Other than that I would recommend using a low Rp triode with plenty of anode current as a resistive concertina rather than copy a commercial design - after all you probably don't have the same constraints that the commercial design did and so should be able to do better.

J
acorn
User

#22 Phase splitter

Post by acorn »

Thanks, James for that advice, I may order two in the new year.

Acorn