ECC81 and it's equivalents

If they glow, this is the place to be
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 ECC81 and it's equivalents

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thanks to The generosity of Stuart. I have a quite a few ECC81 and some equivalents in my stock.
I have used Telefunken, Mullard and GE ECC81s, plus a couple of Brimar 6060 black plate valves, and what looks like a couple of ECC85s, but can't be sure as there is no writing on the ECC85 suspects.

I'm currently in love with the Brimar 6060 black plates, they give the best performance on vocals this side of a 2A3; wonderful, and actually bloody fantastic for a 9 pin miniature. Wish I'd had them at Owston when I demonstrated the amplifier.

I have a pair of Brimar 13D9 coming from Langrex soon, so we'll see how they sound in comparison.

The ECC85 have different heater wiring, in that the 6V goes on pins 4 and 5 whilst pin 9 is a screen between sections, like the ECC88, so they are harder to try out unless you commit to a heater rewire, which I can't be arsed with at the moment.

That's unless someone knows how ECC85s sound.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Sounds good.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Well, the Brimar 13D9s arrived with the postie this morning.
They are of the same squat, black plate construction as the old 6060s donated by Stuart.
They sound just as good :D
I've ordered another pair before somebody discovers them and causes a price rise.
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

#4 Re: ECC81 and it's equivalents

Post by Alex Kitic »

SteveTheShadow wrote: That's unless someone knows how ECC85s sound.
My favorite ECC81 family member is the 6201. Bassy, warm vocals, yet defined mid-highs.

The ECC85 is pin compatible with ECC88, but nothing special when it comes to sound (tried as driver in the original RH307A (not Super). Easy to forget. Getting back to the 6201 is the return of the king, basically - you know immediately that you're again on your own.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: ECC81 and it's equivalents

Post by Cressy Snr »

Alex Kitic wrote: My favorite ECC81 family member is the 6201. Bassy, warm vocals, yet defined mid-highs.

The ECC85 is pin compatible with ECC88, but nothing special when it comes to sound (tried as driver in the original RH307A (not Super). Easy to forget.
Thanks Alex, I won't bother redoing the heaters then.
I like the 6201, Paul sent me one and I had another lying around to make a pair. As you say they are very nice valves. I like them.
In my system there is a bit too much bass using 6201s, but the vocals and the treble tone is lovely.
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

#6 Re: ECC81 and it's equivalents

Post by Alex Kitic »

SteveTheShadow wrote: In my system there is a bit too much bass using 6201s, but the vocals and the treble tone is lovely.
Try finding some 12at7wa by Heinz and Kauffman, they are not as bassy as the Philips 6201.

Never too much bass, I guess, with RH amps: always tight and defined, just increasing in "overall balance". When it gets too intrusive, I balance it with bass shy rectifiers, which usually tend to improve vocals further...