211 VT4C

If they glow, this is the place to be
Chopsaw
User

#1 211 VT4C

Post by Chopsaw »

I could do with a two pairs of these but after a bit of a scout around I'm no nearing finding them. Sure I've been on the old eBay but the new ones seem to originate from the Shuguang factory and they got a bit of a slating on here. One UK company has Golden Dragons for sale at a very reasonable price but on enquiry I find they're also made at the Shuguang factory though they assure me they are made to the highest standard and rigourously tested and guaranteed. A few VT4Cs on sale from the States but bloody expensive second hand and I don't know if I can afford the risk. Anyone any comments about the Psvane 211s for sale or are they just a tarted up Shuguang too?
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

None of us,IMHO, have tried new shuaguangs for years. We are unreliable witnesses. I am told that. Shuaguang has put a lot of money info R&D. Maybe give them a try?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Psvane used to be Guiguang, not AFAIK anything to do with Shuguang. In fact for a while were regarded as the 'poor relation' to Shuguang as far as I could gather. But not anymore, Psvane also adopted new prices which seem to have gone VERY upmarket! I've bought GG 300B's but too rich for me now :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Chopsaw
User

Post by Chopsaw »

Thanks for that chaps. I'm think I'm going to go with my original choice which are these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golden-Dragon ... 4851e9d1b7

Any comments before I commit to buy?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Personally I'd look for decent used old-stock VT4-c as the Chinese ones I heard 5-6 years ago weren't in the same league .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Chopsaw
User

Post by Chopsaw »

IslandPink wrote:Personally I'd look for decent used old-stock VT4-c as the Chinese ones I heard 5-6 years ago weren't in the same league .
I've been searching for used/old stock VT4Cs for a while and can't find much under 300 quid for a pair which seems over the top for second hand tubes and then there's shipping of course. I'd rather go back to solid state than have my pants pulled down by some chancer lol.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Ok, I don't know if this is a commercial amp, but if not, then Eimac 100TH's are only £35 each, and Nick G found, with a suitable ( not expensive ) A2 driver, they were as good or better than GE VT4C .
10K output transformers OK with those .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

How about the 833a ? The Russian GU-48 variation (as I use) are not mega expensive. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Chopsaw wrote:
IslandPink wrote:Personally I'd look for decent used old-stock VT4-c as the Chinese ones I heard 5-6 years ago weren't in the same league .
I've been searching for used/old stock VT4Cs for a while and can't find much under 300 quid for a pair which seems over the top for second hand tubes and then there's shipping of course. I'd rather go back to solid state than have my pants pulled down by some chancer lol.
What amp is it for?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Chopsaw
User

Post by Chopsaw »

They're for my Jolida Music Envoy's.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Given those amps, I would use these

http://www.aa-acoustics.com/4.html

Or the T2, but they are over twice the price and I have only heard them one in a not great amp, so I can't say how much different the standard and T2 211's are.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

That pricked my ears up.

But I read that one of the benefits of T2 isn't on the 211

"Crystallized carbon grey coating inside the tube (only on EL34, KT88, 300B, 2A3 and CV181 aka 6SN7)"

The other benefits of stronger glass and teflon base may not be worth £260 a pair over £100 a pair.

But without hearing either I can't compare to vt4c. For example the T2 is about the price vt4c used but good can sometimes be found for. My past experience would say buy the vt4c. But my past experience needs a catch up. I am not however in a position to buy PSVane tubes just so I can give advise, and I don't require any myself.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

But I will say the vt4c is very rugged and in audio use doesn't seem to wear out so you may only ever buy one pair.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Paul Barker wrote:But I will say the vt4c is very rugged and in audio use doesn't seem to wear out so you may only ever buy one pair.
Except fpr the amp in question he will need four pairs. if it was just a single pair I would agree with you Paul.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Except for the amp in question he will need four pairs.
You sure ? :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)