Maybe not this week

If they glow, this is the place to be
Nick
Site Admin

#1 Maybe not this week

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

No, I'll let the rush die down, maybe have a coffee first.

PSVANE seem to eb teh new oriental boy on the block. DOes anyone know if they are any good, at all? Their marketting strategy is to 'appeal' to the conoisseur i.e. those with loads of money!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Yum !
It would be difficult to beat the STC ones though ( thanks Paul for the three-way comparison in ~2005 ! ) . I bet you could pick up original ones ( as singles ) for less than these sort of prices ?

Hadn't realised they only needed a 5K load .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I don't lust after "big" valves any more. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

andrew Ivimey wrote:No, I'll let the rush die down, maybe have a coffee first.

PSVANE seem to eb teh new oriental boy on the block. DOes anyone know if they are any good, at all? Their marketting strategy is to 'appeal' to the conoisseur i.e. those with loads of money!
Psvane used to be GuiGuang apparently. The directors had a bust up or something and a new company came out of it. Which, additionally, seems (to me at least) to want to be 'more up-market' :?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

PS: my last 300B's were GG's, from wotsisname in Hong Kong, doesn't look like I can afford any more now. Suddenly found myself a while back looking at gold grid EH's (?) and going "hmmm" ....

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:PS: my last 300B's were GG's, from wotsisname in Hong Kong, doesn't look like I can afford any more now. Suddenly found myself a while back looking at gold grid EH's (?) and going "hmmm" ....
Invest in a pair of cheap 811a, and then wait for DTB to perfect an A2 circuit. :lol:

Will knock 300b into a cocked hat.

Edmund Burke

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote:
Invest in a pair of cheap 811a, and then wait for DTB to perfect an A2 circuit. :lol:

Will knock 300b into a cocked hat.
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (etc)! :)

I'd invest in some 300B's if I was you Mike!!!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I think Mike would soon find a way with 811a, after all he had a lot to do with my version, and that works quite well. :D

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

its just that when you look at what 300bs are supposed to do you can see why they are very popular. Its only us weirdos who search forsomething better ...

ehggs where are they?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote:its just that when you look at what 300bs are supposed to do you can see why they are very popular. Its only us weirdos who search forsomething better ...

ehggs where are they?
Used to be an e-bay seller, China arts ? (or something like that)

PS

Nice pair of 300b amps here. :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nick-Gorham-3 ... 3f1fd1ce16

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

yeah I told you that - who'd think eh!
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

pre65 wrote:
andrew Ivimey wrote:its just that when you look at what 300bs are supposed to do you can see why they are very popular. Its only us weirdos who search forsomething better ...

ehggs where are they?
Used to be an e-bay seller, China arts ? (or something like that)

PS

Nice pair of 300b amps here. :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nick-Gorham-3 ... 3f1fd1ce16
Lovely job. Two questions for nick. How did you get the Partridge output transformers, is someone making them again or are they NOS? and can you repeat that or will you substitute them in the next build? When are you coming up with a Gorham FET front end Phono stage? I looked at everything the seller lists and such a quality phono stage would surely fit into the genre.

Power to your elbow though. Good to see the British taking back some of the market after the cheap imports vertually killed it dead with devastating effects on British companies.. The problem was we were left with Russian Roulette Quality, just as we are with all modern mass market electronics due to the death of the British element.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

The chap who wanted the amps building (couple of years ago now) decided to use them and got them. I think there were from

http://www.partridgeelectronics.co.uk/index.htm

They were nice sounding TX's, just would have been better potted.

Those amps went to a day at SimonC''s a couple of years ago.
Last edited by Nick on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Interesting.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein