4 Tons of Tubes

If they glow, this is the place to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 4 Tons of Tubes

Post by simon »

Shamelessy ripped off from DIY Audio, here's a link to an ebay advert for more valves than even Steve S has. Look through the photos and be overwhelmed. Steve's collection is probably worth more though!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENORMOUS-LOT-OF ... 46088b217d
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

That's a job for a YOUNG person, it would take a lot of years to sort that lot out. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Oh my god, there's one whole picture full of globe DHT's
Aaarg !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Wow, there is a few more than I have, I've around 60 boxes, usually all the valves I use I have a boxful of,
There are rumours of redundancies at the end of the year....with luck I could be changing my job title to ebayer, they are no use to any one else in the family.
I do worry about the amount of gear there is.. lots of decks, loads of speakers and old amps,
And the worst thing is I don't really want to part with any of it.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Interestingly, some of the boxes are marked "Richardson Electronics" - they are also known as "RELL" and I've come across them before...

They buy up a lot of end-of-line stuff and sell it over the long-term as spares. e.g. This happened when National Electronics and others in the West stopped making nixies. See http://www.rell.com

RELL bought up the stocks, mostly as unmarked tubes, and re-labelled them as their own.

A few years ago, when they got sick of nixies clogging up their warehouses, they flogged a lot off in large batches - I bought several 1000 tubes at that time, all NOS in bulk packaging.

I suspect some of this batch is NOS RELL tubes as well...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt