For Paul Barker

If they glow, this is the place to be
Stuart Dean
User

#1 For Paul Barker

Post by Stuart Dean »

Hi Paul
I don't follow the AT forum much these days but I remember recently you were exploring the possibility of using an all battery power source on a vintage type mono amp.
I recently came across this site http://www.tmart.com/4Pcs-UltraFire-AAA ... 44683.html which seems to have some good prices on NiMH batteries.
Seems you could build up a 120v DC pack for around 50 quid.
I expect that for the amp you were thinking of you would need around 200v but it's a thought.
I have often pondered on exactly what effect a true DC supply would have on an amp of any flavour.
For the 2v heater supply there are some rather nice Cyclon cells available. Exactly the right voltage and a modern equivalent to the old lead/acid 'accumaltor'.
STU
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Thank you Steve

I have some modern 2v Pb batteries. I also bought solar cells for the B+ which could be operated by a garden light if no daylight, but have yet to find out.

Thank you for the interest.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Another new arival.

Darkened by the early Azide process of filament creation. No idea which valve but it will be 2v and it will tell me what it does when I try it.

Just about see the horizontal nickel anode.

"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein