System Limbo

If they glow, this is the place to be
Mullardman
User

#1 System Limbo

Post by Mullardman »

At present, my system is at a standstill. This is partly because I'm not especially dissatisfied. It makes a fair stab at most things. Also, I'm currently a little financially embarrassed, so that major changes or expensive upgrades are not going to happen.. unless financed by kit sales etc.

However, I know that any system can be improved and I'm always open to suggestions, so would welcome any thoughts on improving my system at minimal cost. I should point out that I'm not impressed by 'prat', or similar dubious ideas. I seek a system which plays music as it was recorded, without artificial emphasis. I'm not impressed by the retail price of kit. It either works, or it doesn't. Ideas?

My system:

LP12, Cirkus, LingoMk1, IttokLVIIIMkII, DV17D2. EAR 834 phono.
TEAC P-30 CD transport/BenchmarkDAC1
Yamaha CDR-HD1500 CD Recorder. Denon TU 260L Tuner and very occasionally, Aiwa ADF-810 Cassette Recorder.
Papworth PPA6 Dual Mono valve pre-amp and Papworth M100 EL34 push-pull valve monoblocks.

Rogers Studio 3 speakers with Rogers AB3 Auxiliary bass units.
Cables and interconnects.... assorted.

Mull
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Hi Mull,

IIRC a while back over on pfm you mentioned that you were interested in running your papworths in triode mode, did you go through with that, if not it's as good a place to start, with minimal outlay to boot.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

So many areas for improvement, and to mention even two of them I will become unpopular with you.

What I have to say is not intended to upset or cause a fight, it is my opinion from my experience.

The Linn dec and The EAR phono stage are easy to beat.

You can generate good income selling both because they are both wrongly valued by the masses.

Build a phono stage, for instance the original world design circuit, I wouldn't bother with the rca phono stage, true realism is really nice. Of course you can go a lot better, Nick has the best one out of our lot, but it's not cheap enough to build for your stated situation.

If money is that tight get a GL75 off ebay and put it in a butchers block.
Andy831
User

Post by Andy831 »

Good Point Paul

Your LP12 must be worth a few quid Col, there is a Goldring Lenco GL75 on ebay now for £49.99 bin. Or how about a plastic 1210? both good at what they do for little money.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=020

This is the same GL75 that was selling yesterday for a tenner more on ebay.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hmm, I would tend to agree with Paul, I have a couple of GL75's, you are welcome to one for £45 next time someone near you is over here. one is in a MDF/Ply plinth and just needs an arm, RB250 or something like Daves Decca,

The phono stage is another area to look at, as said, TR is nice, as are several other phono designs out there.

And maybe for fun, think about trying a pair of the speakers that Dave is building now, or cheaper (but will less bass) a pair of frugalhorns.

Any of the above may not improve things, as its down to your preference, but thy may show an alternative sound that might be to your liking.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andy831
User

Post by Andy831 »

Col If Nick says one of his GL 75s is ok you can be pretty certain its better than that.

If you fancy a dabble I can always do the couriering.

Incidently Nick I picked up a really lovely looking 301 today barely a mark on it.

Andy
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ahh, well, the 75's are ok, but the one in the plinth is tatty, but ok, teh other is in a bush (I think) music ccenter, but a perfectly good table to play with. I have a 88 somewhere that needs a bit of TLC, maybe when te warm weather comes I will find time to do something with that.

Good news about the 301, are you going to get Darren to give it the once over, or are you too eager to see what its like?

I will be interested to see what you think of the old out of date idle drives.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andy831
User

Post by Andy831 »

Its definately going to Darren for a brush up and a new plinth then we shall see. Not sure whether to use the SME 3009 on it or try my Nottingham spacearm.