The use of VR tubes.

If they glow, this is the place to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 The use of VR tubes.

Post by Paul Barker »

Just thought this belonged alone.

As I have previously mentioned numerous times in various threads VR tubes are unstable.

My worst experience was about a year ago building a three stage direct coupled amp without capacitors or resistors in amp or power supply. The first turn on it fired a number of valves and VR tubes.

I am transparent here about my mistakes so others can learn without the expense.

What had I done wrong?

I had made the stupid assumption that what it said on the tin it did. With VR tubes this is not the case. they are a vague voltage reference.

After my disaster I learned that for such a design I had to know pretty well exactly what each VR would do at the expected currrent.

Every single VR you have to draw a graph of voltage against current. You will also find that some VR's are tight in regulation and some are extremely floppy in regulation. I don't mean some makes or some types (although there are type specific issues, that is not what I am referring to), I mean two supposedly identical VR's brand new out of the box, one will have a 7v variation within it's current range from min to max and another a 3v.

So I tested all of mine at one time and put on a piece of paper wrapped round the tight regulators their data the others I cast aside.

I am only saying this because I have never until now read it anywhere. As in practice the use of VR's has been a dead art for a long time, what was probably general knowledge in the past has been lost.

Anyway what inspired me to post this is I was trying to find my reference for the virtual cathode operation, and was wading through RDH4, to no avail (I am sure it wasn't in there I read it but I thought it was so complete it surely would cover it, but doesn't.) But in the regulator section it states:

pg 1,222 "The main limitation of all these regulators is the difficulty of obtaining a completely stable voltage reference, as gaseous voltage regulator tubes may stabilise at slightly different voltages when the unit is switched off and on again. This means that, although nearly perfect voltage regulation may be obtained, the voltage about which the regulation takes place is not always a constant value"

This is an additive problem to the ones I mention above. But I am glad to see that back in the day these things were realised. We are often in danger of picking out bits of prior art utilising them without understanding what was common knowledge at the time.

Then Fritz go on to say "this defect may be minimised by the use of a special voltage reference tube such as RCA type 5651."

I have therefore obviously ordered some.

The downside is that they only 87v and work within 1.5 to 3.5 miliamps.

But the usefulness of them is demonstrated by Stephie (who probably knew these things of which I speak but didn't go into detail, as Stephies site is already far greater detail than most and few people are ineterested enough to resolve the detail already contained within it.)

Stephie uses this VR in direct coupling in a way I had previously (even though I first read that page when it was brand new and we all talked about it on vintagetubestalk) not appreciated the brilliance of. Steve passes a current through this especially tight VR to strike it, and that is all the current it requires as the next duty of it is to pass the ac signal (aswell as set the dc conditions).

the brilliance of steve is he doesn't get the staibility problems I had when I used much floppier VR's on the cathodes (in place of the big resistor and cap in the FREE LUNCH clones).

Now the present cheap 6em7 amp uses a VR on the cathode at just one stage and it is working alright, it is nowhere near stable but the margin for error in operating point at one stage doesn't seem to matter to that degree. the problems come when you start cascading similar stages. This is why in this amp I wanted all the available gain of the VA section, to keep it two stage with only one voltage reference stage.

But for my next design of this nature I shall try this 5651 in the way Stephie implements it

Note the 243 ohm and 100k resistor form a voltage devider to exactly set the bias on the second valve, the VR shares some current through the anode load. In Stephies example a negative supply is required.

But considering the above mentioned facts it would be a significant imporovement and worth the extra complexity.

It is often the complexity of Stephies circuits which results in so few clones. But the more I learn the more I appreciate the need for the complexity.

PS if you don't implement the negative supply you run into problems loading the former stage as the 100k resistor sets the load resistance. the load of the valve would be infinate without this resistor. One other way around this complexed problem may be to use a grid choke for the load and series with it the required extra resistance (if any) to achieve the 2mA current through the 5651.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I will just say that prior to reading RDH4 I was unaware of the better quality of the 5651. I though Stephie picked it because of the low current needed which is a desirable feature in the series use to which he puts it.

So I had also ordered 8228 regulators

It also had me thingking about neons as used in voltage testing screwdrivers.

But you try searching for neon's on ebay these days!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Don't forget that vrs used in the shunt reg style on the cathode tight regulation is not significant, neither does it matter that at each turn on voltage if different as Rdh4 states.

The only totally unuseable vrs I found were the old British 4 pin. Possibly because of their age or possibly they always were extremely loose. Or perhaps i have the only 7 crap ones in the world. It is after all only my experience i am relaying.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Don't forget that vrs used in the shunt reg style on the cathode tight regulation is not significant, neither does it matter that at each turn on voltage if different as Rdh4 states.

The only totally unuseable vrs I found were the old British 4 pin. Possibly because of their age or possibly they always were extremely loose. Or perhaps i have the only 7 crap ones in the world. It is after all only my experience i am relaying.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Paul Barker wrote:So I had also ordered 8228 regulators
Wow looking very like wire-ended neon bulbs that I've also used for this purpose. Not too bad TBH. But again very small current so can only be used around error control amplifiers etc., not shunt a supply rail. Unless it's very low current :D A neon bulb gets you around 83V I think.

VR's of course were all what was available at the time in the old days.

Says he trying ever so hard not to mention Zeners :D

Oh drat......

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Don't worry about it Mike even I am beginning to think about Zenners for the shunt regulator.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Of course once I had mentioned the use of a grid choke with the series VR tube, I immediately realised once you bring the choke into play you can resistance couple. This is because you can use the series resistance to drop the voltage then a grid choke to give the AC load. As long as the choke is aproper grid choke and capable of 1mA of dc (which they usually will tolerate) there should be vertually no loss of amplification by the devider. When you use two resistors the ac devision is equivalent to the dc devision. But with a resistor to drop voltage and a choke of 500h or so to create an ac load the ac devision is minimal.

Strike that, to drop 80v at 1mA needs 80k resistor 20hz reactance of 500h grid choke is 62k so amplitude is devided significantly.

Whereas 82v VR tube no devision.

So VR tube still better for the job.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

by accident found a useful pdf version of a book and it shows how to parallel VR tubes for more current. It is not that we didn't realise it could be done but this gives resistor value (100 ohm). Presumably if using two a 200ohm pot with the wiper to the B+ and 1ohm precision current sense resistors would be even better.

"Highly stable fixed-bias voltages can be obtained from electronically regulated bias supplies or by the use of voltage-regulator tubes in place of a load resistor in the output of a bias rectifier. Voltage regulator tubes having regulated-volt-age ratings between approximately 75 and 150 volts are available. When regu-lated fixed-bias potentials greater than 150 volts are required, tubes having suit-able voltage ratings and similar current ratings may be connected in series.When it is necessary to accommodate larger currents than can be safely handled by a single regulator tube, types having the same voltage rating can be connected in parallel. In parallel arrangements, a re-sistor having a value of approximately 100 ohms must be connected in series with each tube to assure equal division of the total load current. Examples of the use of voltage-regulator tubes are shown in Fig. 33. "

The full download is http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/tt4.pdf

The text I copied is on page 34 the fig 33 is on page 35.

To convert the text off the pdf which has to be saved as an image file I used an internet based OCR facility which is super-fast and accurate, and at a rate of 15 conversions an hour allowance for the amateur it is adequate.

http://www.onlineocr.net/default.aspx
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

The S.130 is a 2-electrode gas-filled tube, adjusted so that a voltage placed across the electrodes causes a discharge through the gas. It is designed to be placed across the output of any eliminator capable of an output of approximately 130 volts that is required to provide a voltage that does not change appre-ciably when the current drawn is varied within wide limits. Its chief application is to stabilize the voltage from an eliminator used with a receiver employing a Cossor Class B Output Valve or a Quiescent Push-Pull Output Stage, as both these systems draw an anode current varying widely with the loudness of received signals.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

you may recall me explaining how variable the balloon shaped British base VR tubes are.

I have it in black and White now. This one
at maximum current can settle at 135v or it can settle at 115v or anywhere between.

I have found these particularly week in regulation. Shame because they look so cool. But it seems the technology was young when they were made, better tolerances emerged with later Octal versions.

I may try to use them somewhere because of their cool factor.

The most realistic data sheet which matches my experience
an unrealistic data sheet
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

New arrival today (well it is my birthday)

Maybe this one will regulate?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Happy birthday Paul.

Ere have you grown a beard. The reflection in the bulb makes you look like someone out of ZZ Top.

And another thing, what's that evil looking smiley faced creature wrapped around your wrist like some kind of biblical serpent ?

We need to know :D
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I can't see anything.

New tube on the VR tube post the humble NEON.

This whole picture editing thing is crazy. I corrected this in windows to portrait and that is how it showed in windows. then I uploaded it to photobucket . It arrived there landscape. So I edited it and saved as portrait, and in deed in my photobucket it appears portrait.

I copy the link here, and yet again it appears landscape.

Just lie on your side please?
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker wrote:New arrival today (well it is my birthday)

Maybe this one will regulate?
I wan this for 99p but because the seller was slow to post having given birth, she included the azide process triode in the other thread for free. she probably thought the blackening meant it was unsellable, whereas we know darkened azide valve is not a sign of death just that with the modern processes the ageing is not visual clean looking modern valves can be closer to death than this darkened azide valve.

Or in short, Yippee.

Knowledge is worth money.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Paul Barker wrote:So I edited it and saved as portrait, and in deed in my photobucket it appears portrait.

I copy the link here, and yet again it appears landscape.

Just lie on your side please?
No, seeing it the right way up here. :thumbleft:

And many happy returns etc. for yesterday. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."