What is a Welded plate 12au7?

If they glow, this is the place to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 What is a Welded plate 12au7?

Post by Paul Barker »

I have been asked question on an ebay sale. this is what the plate looks like. Are the little areas where the paint has come off spot welds? and are they what people look for?

thank you.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Yes, I would say that is a welded plate Paul. Some are constructed using folding tabs, or rivets or just edges crimped/folded over. Not sure why a welded one would be any better though.... :? Stronger or better metal/electrical bonding maybe?
©2020 Lee
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

thank you.

I did a google searche but all I came up with was USA based sellers claiming their valves were welded plate and hence worth more money. but no images.

In the event, having checked out my tubes from your description, I now see that most have little tabs folded over this spot weld is unusual.

so that is another buzz word I now have to fit into the title. i am already using Long Plate (where appropriate). I'll have to go Long Welded Plate I suppose.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

All the wire connections are spot welded on anyway. In fact there's rather a lot of spot welds in a valve, going by bits of film of assembly that I've seen, so not sure what iota of difference having two halves of the anode spot welded together as well, or not. :?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

In the event only two of them were welded plate and they sold for princely sums so someone must know they are good.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Cannot comment! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."