New OPT Amp...

If they glow, this is the place to be
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

They can certainly throw a huge soundstage.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Ray P wrote:Steve, of course all hifi is a compromise in some way or another - in my experience it hasn't yet bettered hearing real musicians.

I bought my Transcendent SE-OTL along to an Eggfest around the end of 2010 and it performed disappointingly, however, this wasn't because it was an OTL amp but because, with an output of only around 1.5W, it had insufficient power to drive the speakers it was used with in the room.

My experience at home is that it is significantly better than the well-regarded 2A3 SET amp I was using previously; contrary to your expectations it is more delicate with greater resolution of detail and better bass. Maybe you should try one?

Ray
it was not yours i was thinking of ray, it was much earlier than that

to be honest i've been more into buliding speakers at the moment, so the chances of getting round to building a OTL amp are well out of the window at the moment

what i was asking really was if the otl circuits are effected less by the multi valve parallelling compared to a standard transformer coupled amp.

cheers...
steve
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I know where you coming from Ray and you Steve.

The generation of OTL's which began using the TV tubes I don't like, that is probably what you heard. I loved the one which used the 6080 / 6AS7. Same as Futterman and Atmosphere. Neal's SE amp. All much the same triode quality to the sound.

Low power amps in big rooms on someone elses speakers playing anoth
er persons music? Suicide.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

steve s wrote:what i was asking really was if the otl circuits are effected less by the multi valve parallelling compared to a standard transformer coupled amp.
Oh that the world was that simple. Our brains are full of little pigeon holes containing the 'rules' for our personal map of our world, what we like and don't like, etc. usually based on little direct experience and certainly no absolute evidence.

For example, I used to think that 'curries' were disgusting based on my belief that something that colour must taste horrible; having challenged my belief and tried one I will now eat some curries but not others, however, all I have done is tweaked my rules so that specific ingredients, rather than colour, now govern what I like and don't like. Of course, I haven't actually tried all the combinations with those certain ingredients so it is very probable that my rule about what curries I 'like' is wrong.

We do it all the time with people, stereotyping and pre-judging and of course with what constitutes a good amplifier design.

It is very healthy, but very difficult, to challenge our personal view of the world.

Ray
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

lol ... :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Ray P wrote:
steve s wrote:what i was asking really was if the otl circuits are effected less by the multi valve parallelling compared to a standard transformer coupled amp.
Oh that the world was that simple. Our brains are full of little pigeon holes containing the 'rules' for our personal map of our world, what we like and don't like, etc. usually based on little direct experience and certainly no absolute evidence.

For example, I used to think that 'curries' were disgusting based on my belief that something that colour must taste horrible; having challenged my belief and tried one I will now eat some curries but not others, however, all I have done is tweaked my rules so that specific ingredients, rather than colour, now govern what I like and don't like. Of course, I haven't actually tried all the combinations with those certain ingredients so it is very probable that my rule about what curries I 'like' is wrong.

We do it all the time with people, stereotyping and pre-judging and of course with what constitutes a good amplifier design.

It is very healthy, but very difficult, to challenge our personal view of the world.

Ray
so you dont know... thats fair enough ray.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Sorry Steve, reread my post and it was a bit of a lecture wasn't it - I've been feeling a bit stressed after some family stuff! No harm intended but you get the point I was making...

Ray
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Ray P wrote:Sorry Steve, reread my post and it was a bit of a lecture wasn't it - I've been feeling a bit stressed after some family stuff! No harm intended but you get the point I was making...

Ray
dont worry ray, i got the point ok... i think i'd pushed it too..

cheers.....