ECC82s

If they glow, this is the place to be
Samantha
User

#1 ECC82s

Post by Samantha »

I get a loud noise on start up from my amp and I have been advised that the pre-amp valves are the most likely culprit .... I am very happy with the sound I have so not looking to change it, just wondering what differences there are likely to be IF I do swap these ECC82s out.

I assume when changing, you go for matched sets?

Are ECC82s and ECC83s interchangable? What are the differences?

A recommendation for where to get these was Groove Tubes.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Might be worth a new set of ecc82s to see if it fixes the noise. 82 and 83 are not generally interchangable.

I would give Jim Fish a call on 01484 654650 (Huddersfield) and see what 82s he has (Wilson Valves),

Unless anyone has any spare ones looking for a home?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Thanks Nick - reason I wondered about the 82/83s was when I rang the dealer where I bought the amp, they asked if it had 82s or 83s as they had a customer with the same amp and they ordered 82s but when arrived he said the code on his old ones was different and equated to the 83s. I guess this must have been a mistake.

Is the price I was quoted about right - £14 each? I need 3.

Also my dealer said that with the 845s I have in the power stage, the original fit items are best, but with the 82s the groove tubes ones are better matched.

As a newbie to valves, I am not sure what best options are. At least the 82s are not a lot of money (I guess the 845s will cost more)
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Hi Samantha.

I have some ECC82s if you want them? I'll probably never use them again. I have a pair of RCAs and a pair of Sylvanias. Let me know if you want them, PM your address if you do and I'll pop them in the post on Monday. Should save you a few quid and I'm not using them.

Cheers
©2020 Lee
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

He's bullshiting you.

The noise could be down to the tubes, but I guarantee you they don't match ecc82's. Just pop in a new pair from Lee no worries.

Groove tubes are making a good living baffling you with science. You have no trouble with any new ecc82's.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

But what is this 845 amp? Some have diabolical faults inherent.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Is the price I was quoted about right - £14 each? I need 3.
Just for info, I guess thats not too bad a price, Watford valves quote prices from £8-£25, where anything other than the £8 is for better stuff (Mullard etc), Bluebell have JJ ECC82's at £8.

Groove Tubes web site lists them at $20. But remember they will still be getting them made from the same factories that people like EH and JJ do. And given their target audience are for use in instrument amplifiers, they may not be selecting for the same thing you need in your HiFi amp (assuming you don't throw it in the back of a van at the end of every night).

Likewise the 845, assuming its not NOS (it won't be, you would not be worrying about the cost of ecc82's), and again assuming its not from KR (again it won't be I don't think), you end up with the same limited number of actual producers in the East. I dont know what the situation is with the metal plate 845's that were being introduced, I get the feeling they have QA problems.

Paul: didn;t you buy a pair not long ago?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Lee - many thanks! That is very generaous of you. PM on the way.

Paul - it is a Unison Research S8 which I bought ex-dem and absolutley love. It sounded much better than everything else I auditioned (including other UR amps that were just not in the same league) and suits me very well. The only problem is the very loud noise on start up. Once on, it is beautiful.

Nick - I always check whether the prices quoted are sensible. I have a keen interest in cars and know from experience that you drive to a garage with a nice car and you sometimes get inflated prices quoted (especially perhaps being a woman) - so I like to be informed to ensure they don't get ideas about ripping me off.

Not sure what the 845s are in my amp, but overall it does what I want and that is what counts for me.

Start of this year I was solid state and CD player, now vinyl and valves and playing music far more and loving it. :D
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I imagine that's well put together then.

I never bought any more 845's after asking the questions, What 845's I have heard can't hold a candle to the vt4c so I estimated that a new more expensive version was a waste of my limited resources. I am not prepared to pineer that one, I have pionered plenty without starting on 845's.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I have pionered plenty without starting on 845's.
:-),

I just thought I remember saying you had got some to try.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Andrew I probably knows what they are, they are slightly souped think they're the B but not the metal. I talked about trying them, but when I did my usual try a 211 in place of and it tranced the 845 if you remember I stated it on wad and was hit by flack so having made up my mind decided not to bother with 845's of any description again. leave those who like to argue they are good to enjoy them all for themselves.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Can't remember, sorry Paul - unreliable info:- they were about £80 the pair with copper bottoms.

Those £20 211 Shuagangs weren't that bad though, were they.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ah, ok, memory is going. Were those the 211s that you brought to Doncaster?
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Doncaster? where's that? :wink:

erm, Paul demo'ed the shuagang against GE VT4C and something pretty rare and sweet.

It was at Witham #1 Paul decided to kamikaze the Music Angle 845 with a PE dance mat.

(and I do like the snowfall)
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

andrew Ivimey wrote:something pretty rare and sweet.
stc oxide filament 4211d
andrew Ivimey wrote:
It was at Witham #1 Paul decided to kamikaze the Music Angle 845 with a PE dance mat.
:D :D :D