ECC82s

If they glow, this is the place to be
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

sounds like you did the same as me, the simply 845 was an ex demo and i got over £1300 off the new price

and again it was better than anything else in the shop that i could afford
at the time the shop was full of 300b amps.. which sort of put me off anything to do with 300bs for a long time
it replaced a se pentode el34 amp (pye mozart) that i had restored..
but it was before i started with diy-ing complete amps

looking back the el34 amp was smoother and maybe had the edge in some ways.. but that 845 was my first proper triode amp and the sound was much more to my liking ...
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

I did get a decent discount off the usual price, but I listened to other people's equipment, other stores, a show (not idea for audition I know), used and new, valves and solid state - also I did not let price colour the judgement - when I had the demo in the shop where I bought the S8, I asked to listen to equipment without being told anything about what I was listening to or it's price. I listened to amps over twice the price ofthe S8 and ones costing less than half.

Not everyone goes for the same thing and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that you or someone else may not like my amp at all, I bought it because it is best for me and I am really happy with it.

My mum couldn't live with my speakers either ... she thinks it is daft they have to be so far from the wall - but again, I like them, I bought them and I live with them. :D

Oh .... and my brother can't believe that I still buy records. :lol:
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

You did right Samantha.
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Big thanks to Lee :wav:

A gent who has sent me some valves so I can see if my problem gets solved.

Had some fun and games over the Christmas period - seemed to have been fixed with the removal/clean of one valve - but then one channel went off. Now back. With the new valves, I am going to take some time checking each contact as well as swapping the tubes around to try to isolate and resolve.

Tis typical though ...... British turntable, German speakers, Italian amp - which is the one that needs fettling....... :lol:
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Hi Sam.

Glad the valves arrived safely. I hope they work and sort out your problem. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
©2020 Lee