Cryo valve treatment

If they glow, this is the place to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

nickds1 wrote:
Dave the bass wrote:Ok, I'll rephrase the question :-)
Am I right in thinking that within the realm of 'sport', a "REAL game" appears to involve the participants being hurt and inflicting damage to other person/persons?
No - it's called irony :)
Irony.

Ok :lol: I'll pitch 2 teams of Rugby players against one Competition Marksman :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Dave the bass wrote:Ok :lol: I'll pitch 2 teams of Rugby players against one Competition Marksman :-)
I used to compete in sporting clays and various small (and not-so-small) arms competitions - most (but not all) of the so-called game shots I saw in the weeks leading up to the "glorious 12th" were pretty crap shots. Even a good shot would have trouble downing 30 rugby players before they got to him and ripped his arms out of their sockets :-)
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

nickds1 wrote:
Dave the bass wrote:Ok :lol: I'll pitch 2 teams of Rugby players against one Competition Marksman :-)
I used to compete in sporting clays and various small (and not-so-small) arms competitions - most (but not all) of the so-called game shots I saw in the weeks leading up to the "glorious 12th" were pretty crap shots. Even a good shot would have trouble downing 30 rugby players before they got to him and ripped his arms out of their sockets :-)
Thats a very sexist comment... women shoot too!

Heheheheheheheheheh (etc).

DTB
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Dave the bass wrote:
nickds1 wrote:
Thats a very sexist comment... women shoot too!

Heheheheheheheheheh (etc).
Yeh. But not very well, IMHO. In what should be a sport of equals, the top women shorts consistently shoot lower averages than their male counterparts against the same targets. I'd quote you the figures from the CPSA web site, but I can't log in ATM :-(
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

nickds1 wrote:I'd quote you the figures from the CPSA web site, but I can't log in ATM :-(
I wouldn't bother. I don't like sport of any kind :lol:

DTB
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Dave the bass wrote:
nickds1 wrote:I'd quote you the figures from the CPSA web site, but I can't log in ATM :-(
So.... skateboarding isn't a sport? :wink:

Just looked at the scores for the top 20 in each clay discipline - the ladies are typically 4% lower than the male scores, and normally even lower than the junior (U16) male scores. In the case of sporting clays, the difference is more like 5%.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

nickds1 wrote:
Dave the bass wrote:
SO.... skateboarding isn't a sport? :wink:
Nope, not for me. It's either 'the Art of' or 'just playing'. At a personal level there is no competitive or sporting reason behind it. S'just fun! :-)

Interestingly, TV companies and 'sponsors' seem to have turned it into a sport. Outside of a skatepark it very rarely 'works' as a spectacle IMHO. Sure, the occasional Skate vid shows ground breaking stuff (E.g. Mark Gonzales jumping the Meanwgile Gap in Blinds 'Video Days' scroll to 1.04).

^^^ See what I mean, thats skateboarding, at no point was there a 'score' or a 'winning' . Just folk having fun on kids toys :-)

I find the televised 'extreme (not!) sport coverage' aspect very boring to watch.

DTB
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Dave the bass wrote:It's either 'the Art of' or 'just playing'. At a personal level there is no competitive or sporting reason behind it. S'just fun! :-)
Aktuelly, that's why I no longer compete in shooting - I just like to go and get something for the pot, just to do the hunter/gatherer bit, or to break a few clays with my kids...

If you think skateboarding is boring on TV, just try any shooting discipline, even archery. Boring. Boring. Boring.

They tried to make squash interesting by using a reflective ball and glass courts, but it doesn't work - cameras are too slow to catch it properly...

Some things are spectator sports. Some aren't and are just good to take part in...
theoldtrout
User

Post by theoldtrout »

"Just looked at the scores for the top 20 in each clay discipline - the ladies are typically 4% lower than the male scores, and normally even lower than the junior (U16) male scores. In the case of sporting clays, the difference is more like 5%"

I read somewhere that this phenomenon is due partly to the types of toys children are given to play with; boys play with toys such as balls, construction kits etc that improve spatial awareness and eye/hand coordination. I'm very average shooting clays but seem to do better shooting live quarry. I often bag more bunnies than my male friends using a rifle though. Rabbit curry, yum yum.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Basic rule in our house. You shoot something, YOU EAT IT!

I don't do driven shoots as I dislike slaughter.

Carluccio has a nice recipe for rabbit casserole with olives.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Wow this thread has diverted, we're onto cooking now :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:Wow this thread has diverted, we're onto cooking now :lol:
Yeah, I'm cooking indoors. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
theoldtrout
User

Post by theoldtrout »

OK, to get it back on topic. That Heston Bloomingheck does some Cryo treatment of food.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Walt Disney has been Cryo treated but no one is eating him.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.