Bill Beard BB100 'HELP' pleas

If they glow, this is the place to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:[
Yep, max grid dissipation is 20W, thats why there is a heat sync on the grid connection.
20W, lordy lord, thats more than most of our amps can actually create :D

Nick wrote:Told you I was letting the valve have it easy :-)
...you're going soft now you've hit 50!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I remember him saying they're not working properly until the anodes are glowing

Yeah they're meant to do that :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Back to the Amp. I have found that the mians TX is wound for 220v, so all the internal voltages are 10% over, so a HT of 350v and dissipation of 12W seems more likely.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

that would explain it yes

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
chris found
New User

#20 Beard Audio

Post by chris found »

Ok.
To put the matter closed....
I have no record of this amplifier passing Beard Audio service doors, so any comments about Bill on his yaught is uncalled for - he was most probably desiging and building products when you were in nappies or maybe even a glint in your mothers eye.
His yaught was bought from years of saving and I resent the gealousy statement, after all, he is now 70 years of age.

When bill passed the service and support to me in 2000, I supported Bills products by providing the best value for money service over the past 10 years, having worked with him for 10 years before this with BBAP and Miguel for the first five years before Beard Audio closed, I consider the good memories well deserved, my designs are from 1993 onwards on both sides of the fence, so when you have a problem you are most probably talking with the person who designed the unit in the first place.
There is more than pride to all the Beard Audio customers who have kept their products for a long time with a respect that many other companies would give their right arm to have.

Now, the amp.
If the amplifier is rated at 220V means that it was purchased overseas and would not be compatible with UK voltages (that is, on the condition the owner is in the UK) - I can provide a replacement mains transformer if required.

This voltage excess would greatly stress the amplifier and the valves, the HT voltage on a correctly rated transformer is 380V at startup, so the reservoir capacitors would have been seriously exceeded.
The bias voltage for the output valves would also be incorrect and would cause damage to the valves.
In fact, at this voltage, I would say a vast portion of the amplifier would be under serious stress.

Now a word from me.
If you had contacted Beard Audio, google has us on the top line and explained the problem I would have told you all this and offered a solution, but you, in your infinte wisdom decided to let other who are not capable of desiging a commercial product slag the company and me down.
If you want help, ask the experts not the amateurs.

Oh by the way,,
Original HT of 385V is increased to 420V and the valves glow red when the cathode resistor burns out to either a short circuit or a very high value - either way the valve is destroyed with probably its complementary pair.

Chris Found
Beard Audio Service
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

How to win friends and influence people :roll:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I was going to make a comment, but Chris Found seems to have dug a big enough hole without any help from us. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

OTOH I have met Chris a couple of times (I needed a beautiful big Beard amp servicing and didn't know where to start - wouldn't happen nowadays ;-) .

Chris was polite friendly and very enthusiastic about all the valvey things that we obsess about. He gave me good advice and of course the amp was serviced and continued to work a treat until some chap from Japan turned up on my door (literally) to take it away to the land of the rising sun.

Chris gets my vote.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Now a word from me.
If you had contacted Beard Audio, google has us on the top line and explained the problem I would have told you all this and offered a solution, but you, in your infinte wisdom decided to let other who are not capable of desiging a commercial product slag the company and me down.
If you want help, ask the experts not the amateurs.
I am unsure just which "you" you are talking to, but assuming its me. I was asked by the amps owner to take a look, I did and found it was built with 220v transformers. I can only go by what he owner told me, and I cant remember if it had been to yourself or more likely the chap who sold it to him claimed it had done but in fact had done no such thing. Having been told it had been via yourself he had no wish to repeat the process. I can't talk for him as he is not here, but he left me with a amp working fine for the cost of a 240v:220v autoformer.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Pault
New User

Post by Pault »

Allow me to try and clarify the issue.
I bought this amp From (ROB, EDGWARE ROAD, MIDDLESEX) I have his full address and phone No.
The advert below speaks for its self.
When I met the person I bought the amp from he assured me that the advert was correct and that he knew Chris Found personally.
Firstly, as my post states this was my first naive step in to the world of valves. I had no intention of running down to London with what looked to me like two (overheated) glowing valves. On advice I appreciatively received on this site I was directed to NICK. Nick was immediately helpful and offered to take a look at my amp. On carful study the problem which was discussed earlier made itself apparent. I asked Nick if he would be so kind as to fully repair the amp for me. To my relief he agreed and did so in an exemplary manner.
Feeling angered at being subject to a surreptitious deal I contacted Rob and explained the situation. He again reassured me that the advert was genuine and he offered to take it back to Chris Found. I informed him that if he missed the problem on the service then I would rather not take it to him. I told him I was very confident leaving it in the hands of Nick. He agreed and offered to pay half the cost which I accepted most graciously. He informed me if after the work was done and there was irreparable damage, then to defiantly bring it back and it would then go to Chris Found. I assured him that I would do so.
As it happens Nick did repair the amp and replaced six valves at a very reasonable cost. I was extremely happy with his expertise and friendliness. I would also like to take this opportunity to publicly thank him.
The amp is still running wonderfully and sounds amazing, that of course is also courtesy to the excellent valve master Bill Beard
To finish with, I only have Robs word for what was said in the advert, He was very convincing to me. In saying that, there was never any intention to be contemptuous or derisive towards Chris Found. The sole objective was to get my amp running healthy. I hope in the endeavor to obtain this end no one has been offended.
Regards: Paul

Bought 24th March 2010

This was the advert.

Beard BB100 Line-Level Integrated Amplifier. 50watts per channel. Inputs for CD, Aux, Tuner, External Phono, Tape In + Tape Out. Was fully serviced 3 months ago by Chris Found (co-designer of the BB100) who also sourced the new "Beard" branded valves which were all specially selected & closely matched. The next owner can expect 3000+ hours of listening pleasure from this valve set. Excellent cosmetic condition. Superb sound. No cage or power cable.
W 460mm H 200mm D 330mm
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I suppose the important thing is that you now have an amp in full working order, and that you like it. :wink:

Interesting to hear the full story though. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Supposing Chris's mains were as low as mine typically is, the "problem" would not have been apparent I suspect or even the possibity of occurring.

Pass it on to someone else who's got >240V mains, whooo-eee.....

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

The mains TX did have 220v written on it though if I remember. I didn;t notice it at first though I must admit.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

That is quite an odd value though innit?

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Much of Europe used to be 220v