Another speaker thread

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Nick
Site Admin

#61 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Nick »

Why do you need two of them, they are two channel amps.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#62 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by steve s »

Ali Tait wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:11 pm

Vic uses 2 Behringer 6000w amps with built in DSP.

£339 from here for B stock- https://www.whybuynew.co.uk/sound-pa/am ... OcQAvD_BwE
I've heard those, they will certainly add to the mix, positively in a nightclub, less so if you want to hear what's in the music
But as far as bass goes they go some way to providing what I'd call impressive bass...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#63 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:05 am Just want to say, make sure we don't do something like "not copy the original for some reason, dislike the results, so decide the original was faulty".
Of course, goes without saying. Except it probably doesn't.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#64 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

So many variables here. How good is the Behringer DSP compared to say MiniDSP or MiniDSP HD? How good are the Behringer amps compared to say various eBay class D "cheapies"? How important are the Daytons in the overall mix? No easy way of knowing.

Which is I guess why I'm thinking I probably just need to buy some and have a play.
steve s
Shed dweller

#65 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by steve s »

simon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:39 pm So many variables here. How good is the Behringer DSP compared to say MiniDSP or MiniDSP HD? How good are the Behringer amps compared to say various eBay class D "cheapies"? How important are the Daytons in the overall mix? No easy way of knowing.

Which is I guess why I'm thinking I probably just need to buy some and have a play.
If your prepared to wait until the end of lockdown I can lend you a few drivers to play with..

My experience hearing a few pa type amps and dsp is that can sound impressive, and is good enough really for most.

The best bass I've heard through my speakers has been with the mofo powering them.. about 2 watts or so.
I have one track that made my 12" drivers rattle, but the 18s loved it. Much cleaner than transformers at the very bottom.

I think our Chris demo'd his set up nicely at our last meet. Gave us a taste of what big pa amps do well.

What sorta puzzles me regarding bass and impressiveness..

...we had Netflix on a couple of nights ago, there was a nightclub scene, the bass was banging.. like a nightclub does.. through my tv speakers, but my tv speakers do not go low?

is it say multiple ( say around 40 to 60 hz) signals through speaker that can't differentiate, can make one impressive sound?

Answers on a postcard...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
ed
retired

#66 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by ed »

simon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:33 pm
Nick wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:05 am Just want to say, make sure we don't do something like "not copy the original for some reason, dislike the results, so decide the original was faulty".
I'm still trying to get my head around the logic of the original preposition(s)...so 'probably doesn't' seems like a good response.....

not even sure if it warrents a snigger.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#67 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

I think that's an interesting point Steve. We've a smart speaker type thing that most would say gave lots of bass. But it's not much bigger than a bag of flour. So I'd guess it has a lot of "presence" at certain frequencies rather than "lots of bass".
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#68 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

ed wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:39 pm
simon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:33 pm
I'm still trying to get my head around the logic of the original preposition(s)...so 'probably doesn't' seems like a good response.....

not even sure if it warrents a snigger.
Well, what I meant was, yes if you make a cake with different ingredients to the recipe it won't be the same cake. It might be close, and you might even prefer it. But it's not the same cake. I get that. But for terms of reference I think Nick's point is valid and was worth making.
Nick
Site Admin

#69 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Nick »

I'm still trying to get my head around the logic of the original preposition(s)
I wasn't saying there was any logic to it, but I could see the process in action:
Vic's solution is some of the best bass I've heard domestically.

Well, I do suspect you could get similar results with one driver per side

I was musing yesterday on a single driver per channel.

There are no doubt cheaper drivers that would do a similar job.

Why do you need two of them

And so on,,,
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#70 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

Ali Tait wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:07 pm
simon wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:27 pm Shame it's a couple of grand to find out how they'd sound at home :-(
I've had look at the comparison tool on loudspeakerdatabase.com and there doesn't seem to anything that close. You have to reduce Qts quite a bit before others are found. How important Qts is to a baffless DSP solution I've no idea.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#71 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

The closest at an initial look is the Faital Pro 18XL1800 which has an Fs of 29 rather than 19.5Hz, and a Qts of 0.4 rather than 0.53. And they cost around the same as the Daytons at £360 each. I'd guess the Daytons are better suited, but I'm only guessing.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#72 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Ali Tait »

steve s wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:31 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:11 pm

Vic uses 2 Behringer 6000w amps with built in DSP.

£339 from here for B stock- https://www.whybuynew.co.uk/sound-pa/am ... OcQAvD_BwE
I've heard those, they will certainly add to the mix, positively in a nightclub, less so if you want to hear what's in the music
But as far as bass goes they go some way to providing what I'd call impressive bass...
The point here is that they are only used up to about 200hz. How hi-fi do they need to be?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#73 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Ali Tait »

simon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:57 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:07 pm
simon wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:27 pm Shame it's a couple of grand to find out how they'd sound at home :-(
I've had look at the comparison tool on loudspeakerdatabase.com and there doesn't seem to anything that close. You have to reduce Qts quite a bit before others are found. How important Qts is to a baffless DSP solution I've no idea.
I hadn’t looked to be honest :D

How about the UM 15? I guess they’d be a good bit cheaper?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#74 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:24 pm Why do you need two of them, they are two channel amps.
I guess you don’t, other than Vic saying he liked to have lots of power. :D

Wonder if there would be an audible difference between using one or two amps, headroom aside?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#75 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Ali Tait »

simon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:39 pm So many variables here. How good is the Behringer DSP compared to say MiniDSP or MiniDSP HD? How good are the Behringer amps compared to say various eBay class D "cheapies"? How important are the Daytons in the overall mix? No easy way of knowing.

If you can wait until all this mess is done with, I’d recommend a visit to Vic.