SLOB project

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Max N
Old Hand

#151 Re: SLOB project

Post by Max N »

I especially liked this section.......Snigger
https://www.fastenright.com/products/ge ... arrel-nuts

Seriously though Colin, that site is fastener heaven, amazing range, thanks for posting
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#152 Re: SLOB project

Post by Dave the bass »

Ha!

< Kenneth Williams jpeg natch>!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

#153 Re: SLOB project

Post by ed »

OT alert..

I just followed Max's link and the thought occurred to me..that relates to animals...and further, what is an animal?

so I checked with google and guess what,!!! there is no one definintion of animal and Oxford and Cambridge definitions are not the same...personally, I'm with Oxford on this one.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#154 Re: SLOB project

Post by Nick »

Well the Cambridge definition seems clearly wrong, and the Oxford one would seem to make a Venus Fly Trap an animal. The Wiki one looks better to me, but I am no biologist.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#155 Re: SLOB project

Post by ed »

It seems I'm not alone in my confusion..

I quite like the Oxford definition though, it's well inclusive, however you bring up a valid conundrum.

Unless it's been done before I think this needs a ruling by a higher authority.

which brings me back to my original thought...if animals are the ones that need sexing, and nuts and bolts can be sexed in a similar manner, then there is clearly some consideration for minerals in the mix...

and as you pointed out, by the Oxford definition there is some crossover between animal and vegetable then the whole thing needs looking at again..

then there is the question of salmon, which are ambiguous to say the least

oh waily
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#156 Re: SLOB project

Post by Nick »

Unless it's been done before I think this needs a ruling by a higher authority.
In effect, that’s what the Wiki entry says: "Animals are multicellular eukaryotic organisms that form the biological kingdom Animalia."

An Animal is something that has been put in the tree under the Animal branch.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#157 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

Getting back on topic: Whilst both project options are fascinating to me, I'm leaning towards continuing on the SLOB road, primarily because it has the potential for lower domestic impact (with the use of acrylic baffles) but also because of the variety of challenges it offers (active crossover etc.) and the possibilities of experimenting with different baffle/driver combinations (Lii, Fostex, Lowther, et al).

The niggling reservation I have is whether I'll get enough clean volume from the Lii driver on an OB using my lower-powered OTL amp(s), about 1-1.5W, so I plan to get some 18mm MDF from the local B&Q and make up some SLOB-sized baffles to try them out - just simple flat boards to start with.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#158 Re: SLOB project

Post by Toppsy »

Getting back on topic: Whilst both project options are fascinating to me, I'm leaning towards continuing on the SLOB road
I think that is a good call Ray however, I would recommend standard grade or furniture grade 25mm chipboard rather than MDF for a test baffle.It's what I used for my own OB project.
Ray P

#159 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

Toppsy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:05 pm
Getting back on topic: Whilst both project options are fascinating to me, I'm leaning towards continuing on the SLOB road
I think that is a good call Ray however, I would recommend standard grade or furniture grade 25mm chipboard rather than MDF for a test baffle.It's what I used for my own OB project.
Thanks for the steer Colin, though initially I just want to check the volume level so I'll probably grab whatever they have as offcuts that are cheap - we have a cutting service at out local B&Q and there is normally a good selection of such stuff.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#160 Re: SLOB project

Post by Toppsy »

Ray, a link to some images of my test baffles for the Monacor 10" coax driver I used in my baffles:
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 76#p151916
for your purposes 18mm chipboard offcut would be better material than 18mm mdf
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#161 Re: SLOB project

Post by simon »

If it's just a lash-up to see just how loud they play with the OTLs James D is a big advocate of cardboard. Physically supporting the drivers might be a bit of a challenge though. I've done this myself and it was good enough to get the shape of the sloping baffle right before building the proper version.

Anything more than a short term lash up I agree with Colin, best to avoid mdf for OB if you can. B&Q do 18mm plywood so you might get lucky with offcuts, but they also do 18mm and 22mm flooring chipboard. Don't know what size baffles you're planning but might you get 2 out of a 2400mm x 600mm board? £10.47 for 18mm or £12.97 for 22mm.
Ray P

#162 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

I could get two baffles out of one flooring sheet easily (the SLOB plans have them as 40in x 20in) and at that price it's not worth thinking about offcuts.

Thanks Chaps
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#163 Re: SLOB project

Post by IslandPink »

Ray P wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:01 am The niggling reservation I have is whether I'll get enough clean volume from the Lii driver on an OB using my lower-powered OTL amp(s),
Bear in mind there's not going to be any meaningful efficiency difference , in the midrange, between OB and the enclosure. The box will extend your bass down a little further and reduce cone excursion compared against the unfiltered driver on OB.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P

#164 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:29 pm
Ray P wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:01 am The niggling reservation I have is whether I'll get enough clean volume from the Lii driver on an OB using my lower-powered OTL amp(s),
Bear in mind there's not going to be any meaningful efficiency difference , in the midrange, between OB and the enclosure. The box will extend your bass down a little further and reduce cone excursion compared against the unfiltered driver on OB.
Thanks Mark and I'm glad we're talking again :)

Not a well constructed sentence as I have the niggle across both approaches, though not to a serious extent; I didn't play the drivers loudly when I tested them for functionality but I also generally don't play music really loud. Knocking up a couple of baffles will be a start though.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#165 Re: SLOB project

Post by jack »

Toppsy wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:34 pm Ray,
You might find this web site useful for fixings should you decide to go ahead with the SLOB build https://www.fastenright.com/.
I used M6 furniture connecting bolts type E1 and matching M6 furniture connecting caps on my own OB project for fixing the panels to the side frames and the side frames to the ply base. Worked a treat and give a smart look finish https://www.fastenright.com/products/ge ... re-fixings
Unfortunately it seems that Fastenright have an MOQ of £100 + carriage at £9.50 + VAT...

Code: Select all

Hello Nick

Thank you for your enquiry. This would be subject to our minimum order value of £100 +£9.50 carriage + VAT.

Kind regards

Craig Churm
Sales & Marketing Manager
Fastenright Ltd
They do have a very useful lot of stuff, but that's a big MOQ... I'll look for other suppliers...

Thoughts...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt