Speaker Surround Replacement

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
little eddy
Old Hand

#1 Speaker Surround Replacement

Post by little eddy »

Just bought a pair of new woofer surrounds for my Dad's ailing AR-MST speakers: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACOUSTIC-RES ... 2749.l2649
ar-mst.jpg
ar-mst.jpg (5.59 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
I was going to recommend he sells them but they seem to be bringing silly money, (and I'm guessing at over 40 years old, most have had new surrounds fitted by this time).

The kit comes with shims for centring the voice coil and replacement dust caps so seems comprehensive.

Is there anything else I need to consider or be mindful of?
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
chris661
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Speaker Surround Replacement

Post by chris661 »

Here's a trick:
Apply an AA battery to the speaker terminals to get the cone to move a bit. It gives you some working room for gluing one way, and will pull the whole assembly together the other.

Chris
little eddy
Old Hand

#3 Re: Speaker Surround Replacement

Post by little eddy »

Success.

About 4 hours for the pair.

It took a bit longer to remove/replace the dust caps but that allowed the shims to be fitted around the driver coil that held it steady while gluing the new surrounds.
Attachments
IMG_20181226_190739169_BURST000_COVER small.jpg
IMG_20181226_190713089_BURST000_COVER small.jpg
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
DSJR
User

#4 Re: Speaker Surround Replacement

Post by DSJR »

I remember these with great fondness and glad you took care to do the job carefully. More sparkle than the AR7 had and obviously the wider dispersion would help here too... Only thing to watch is the rather iffy load (from memory) and I seem to think the replacement model dropped two tweeters each speaker?

All 70's AR speakers of this era and before fetch collectors prices now and in this case they're probably worth it today. I reckon the crossover caps (hard wired I believe) may need looking at as I don't think they were anything special.