Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#196 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Scottmoose »

Too right. I'd also buy from elsewhere rather than giving them business.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#197 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Drivers are going to our Ant (sorry Phil). :oops:
Keeping them in the family.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#198 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:54 am Drivers are going to our Ant (sorry Phil). :oops:
Keeping them in the family.
No problem Steve, I understand. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#199 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Cheers Phil,

He texted me last night about 5 seconds after I read your post, so I couldn't really tell him no, him being family and all that.
Provided Ed didn't want them, they were his, but he's still going to have to cough up.
So... he'll be continuing my 15" FR thread with his build.
Dimensions for the cabs have all been worked out, so he should be pretty quick doing them once he gets going; a lot quicker than me at any rate :lol:

The 12 inch speakers seem to have opened up some more at the bottom end, still running in then, cone suspension loosening up a bit more. Just enjoying some John Dowland lute music, played by Nigel North, on Naxos. Lovely stuff.
Lee S
Old Hand

#200 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Lee S »

Cressy Snr wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:18 pm Dimensions for the cabs have all been worked out....
What kind of size are these boxes going to be Steve?
©2020 Lee
Ant
Shed dweller

#201 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Ant »

Rather large
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#202 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Lee S wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:12 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:18 pm Dimensions for the cabs have all been worked out....
What kind of size are these boxes going to be Steve?
Internal dimensions:
H - 32.5in

W - 20.5in

D - 12.75in

They'll need a horizontal holey brace just below the driver which is centred on the baffle, driver centre 10.25" from the top, right and left of the baffle board. With some legs on the cabs, the driver will be at ear height when sitting.

As Ant said... rather large :)
Lee S
Old Hand

#203 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Lee S »

Not too bad in all fairness.... no taller or deeper than a regular floorstander... just about 3 times wider..... :lol:

Sounds like a nice project. May have a go at building some myself...

Thanks Steve and good luck with the build Ant.
©2020 Lee
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#204 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by IslandPink »

Interesting - that's a bit like the aspect ratio James chose for the FX120 sealed units ( 'Speakers for my son' ) . Using width to lower the baffle-step frequency...
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

#205 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Greg »

Yes, and further, it begs the question, why not consider baffles? Of course, I recognise it would mean different driver(s) and a different cost, but considering size in the living room, why not?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#206 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by IslandPink »

I think you've answered the question there - bigger, open (not as smart) and different driver. I'm looking forward to hearing what Steve has done with these.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#207 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Ant »

Only 3 sets of baffles have ever done it for me. Steves, james's and wills that had the big field coils in them.

So no baffles for me, I havent the time, money or inclination to bother

If I'm honest, interest has waned for it all over the past 12 months, im at the point where I don't really care any more. I dont build much, if anything anymore. The only priority is looking after Emma. Its difficult to be able to build orders for other people, and I cant take on as many jobs as I could 6 months ago.

So embarking on some epic speaker project that could take years to develop like Steves baffles, marks speakers, or anything else really is simply not a consideration

The 12s are the only things I've heard in the past 12 months that have pricked my ears up that are remotely achievable. Im not going to get a Cole lcr phono stage, which is the only other thing I've been grabbed by.

I should he able to build the cabs in the space of a few days given reasonable weather, so is achievable in a short space of time and there is no deadline to get it done.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Greg
Social outcast

#208 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Greg »

Ok, get and understand all that. I realise that suggesting baffles would need to open up consideration on other drivers any way. It was the size thing that made me suggest it and nothing more. Without doubt I’m positively looking forward to having a good listen to Steve’s latest at Owston. One of the major attractions in my opinion.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#209 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Steady on chaps. There seems to be a level of expectation being built around these speakers, from folk who have not heard them, that is getting a teensy bit uncomfortable.

They are merely a take on the 1950s/60s "infinite baffle" principle and use a very good wideband driver, and as such, there aren't many around these days. They are highly sensitive drivers put in reasonably sized cabinets, unlike the wardrobe cabs of the old speakers so no low bass whatsoever... zero, nada!

What's more, sit directly on axis to them at healthy volume, and they'll loosen your fillings, singe your whiskers, blow out your earwax, strip the wallpaper, or any other expression that matches human perception of rising treble response, you might care to use. As an example, at Steves, Scott got on axis to them and ended up having to leave the room, yes it was that bad, for him anyway.

So given that I will be playing to a row of chairs at Owston, those of you on the ends of the rows are going to have a lot of fun with the rising response :wink:

I know their faults and I know their virtues and when listened to off axis they play music really well. They belong to the family of transducers occupied by Quad electrostatics and big horns. As with Quads and horns, what they do well, they do superbly and whether you "buy into" their sound will be down to whether you can live with what they don't do. All the people who've heard them so far do, to varying degrees, buy into their sound, but it doesn't mean everybody will.

So let's not get too carried away and let's remember that there are a lot of other people bringing equipment who also deserve a fair hearing. I for one am very interested in the Scott designed/Colin built baffles and MLTLs (Chris's I think) using the Monacor ten inch, dual concentric driver, plus all the regular valve stuff that will be there.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#210 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Re the old chestnut of open baffles. Here's the reason I don't do them: you can't put ornaments and potted plants on top of baffles.

Wide, shallow, big sealed cabs of the sort I've been doing, are not intrusive on the living space as you have to back them right up to walls to get bass.
Thus backed up, they suddenly become pieces of furniture, rather than intrusive abominations; even more so if you give them decent grilles, so WAF is assured.

All the stuff I've designed over the last 12 years, from Metronomes to omnis to big sealed boxes, has had WAF firmly at the core of the thinking behind them. :)