Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#136 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr »

It was then that Dave set up his Rozenblit OTL through the Fanes with Van Morrison keeping us singing:
Now I hate it when Dave brings this wonderous device to our house.
I always end up a broken man when he takes it away, and today was no exception. It was simply magic. There is not a lot more that can be said.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#137 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Now it's getting silly:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#138 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr »

My Pink SET was also great in the music department, but it lacked the dynamism of the other amps. It was lovely, in a nice warm, winter by the fire, single malt in hand and smoking jacket kind of way.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#139 Re: Fane-Tastic Musical Soireé

Post by Cressy Snr »

Going back to Dave's OTL, this with the Fanes, was a marriage made in heaven and was used for the rest of the session, with some of Dave's vinyl.
This was a really enjoyable afternoon and all the amps we put through the Fanes or Chris's speakers played music to a high level of quality.
None of us talked about bass, treble, midrange, image, soundstage; it was all about the music.

It was also very interesting for Dave and myself to hear what pro gear can do in a home environment.
Not that I would use it in my front room of course, it's not meant for that, and it would be daft to pay out for this kind of equipment for use in the house but it does, with it's effortless power, allow everything to be played to the maximum musical effect.

The OTL,
What can one say? There is just something about OTLs that gets you right inside the music. Difficult to explain unless you've heard a good one, but they are special.

I'm now listening to Pat Metheny via the mutant NVA and you know what, I'm still enjoying the music.
These Fane full rangers are something special. We played heavy rock, classical, jazz, rock n roll and allsorts else and it was all unerringly good, giving excellent access to the music, either in the bits or the groove. They are just such a fun and uplifting experience to listen to. Thanks for coming round guys, a great afternoon.

Couln't be arsed with taking the bake-off too seriously in the end. We ended up too busy having a laugh and enjoying playing music.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#140 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by simon »

I was disappointed to miss this Steve, but I didn't get back in the country till 5pm. Another time.
chris661
Shed dweller

#141 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by chris661 »

Really enjoyed the afternoon, thanks Steve!
I'm glad we got to listen to a wide range of music and have a laugh, rather than playing the same track over and over through every single combination of gear.

Your Pink SET was rather nice in the mid-high range, and had the sound you've described - for cozy evenings. I think the silly-power solid state amps had a bit more control in the low end, and the OTL was a really nice balance between the two.

I was quite impressed by the big heavy Crown amp (on the floor - MA5002VZ) - they were made in the early 1990s to drive low impedances with lots of power - 2.5KW/ch into 2ohm, continuous, for hours on end, is the sort of ilk we're talking here. It's not the sort of thing that should really have any finesse or detail, but it did sound quite nice on the day. Those old Macrotechs do something special with the bass IMO - they're still sought-after in the PA world for that very reason.
The newer MA12000i (bottom of the pile below the telly) was pretty good, too.

The stars, IMO, were those Fane units. There's something to be said for having a driver connected directly to an amplifier, and those Fanes get all that, but without the problems that other wide-range units often have in the upper midrange. I'm not certain they're perfect, but they do let you put on some music and enjoy it, and that's exactly what we're doing all this for.

I think Steve's covered the OTL. Sounded lovely.

Steve, if you could dig out that reggae track, I'd appreciate it for future listening.

Cheers, all.
Chris
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#142 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:05 pm Now I hate it when Dave brings this wonderous device to our house.
I always end up a broken man when he takes it away, and today was no exception. It was simply magic. There is not a lot more that can be said.
Thing is, Steve, you keep building speakers that work beautifully with OTL's which can be quite finicky. These single-driver Fanes were no exception. I was truly blown away by how good they were - I didn't think it was physically possible for single driver speakers to properly do full-range, because up until today I'd not heard anything else with one driver that sounded convincing to me with full-range classical music. The way SXL 2302 sounded pretty much put that one to bed (Handel Water Music - LSO / Szell, Decca, recorded by The Boss - Kenneth Wilkinson). The Du Pre Elgar cello concerto was musically sublime.

Maria Callas and misbehaving whizzer cones can be a recipe for listeners to run from the room screaming for mercy, but these too were absolutely fine. Same with Van Morrison as you rightly pointed out.

If I didn't already have the big Mets I'd be asking you to build me a pair of these. One day I might ask for a pair anyway LOL.

What was interesting to me was the fact that even with the very efficient Fanes, you could sense the greater sense of 'ease' on power-heavy transients with the higher powered Crown amps over the 15W OTL. This reassured me that I'm going in the right direction with the higher-powered OTL monoblocks.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#143 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Glad you guys liked the speakers. It was a great afternoon of listening and playing with the electronics.
That Callas LP is just fantastic, what a voice! I've never been that much into Female soprano/mezzo vocals, but that's because I'd not heard them reproduced properly before. Pity I didn't hear a bit more of the Du Pré Elgar Concerto too. The Fanes do seem to have a way with classical.

Since the speakers had the Crown amps kicking their butts, they appear to have run in a bit more and the bottom end has opened out further. There's probably more to be had yet from them. I reckon they're probably a case of several hundred hours before they reach peak performance.
simon wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:32 pm I was disappointed to miss this Steve, but I didn't get back in the country till 5pm. Another time.
Hi Simon, just drop me a PM is you want to have a listen; you're welcome any time.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun May 20, 2018 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#144 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Also gotta say, the pink 2A3 amp. Despite the fact it was a little down on power it still sang like a canary, I could have listened to it for hours. I never heard a 2A3 amplifier I didn't like. Still have fond memories of my WAD 2A3 PSE from years ago.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#145 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Chris

Reggae Album is by Razoof, title Kiwafu and the track was "A Plan"
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#146 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:31 pm Note the green label on the plug, denoting that the lead has been subjected to a proprietary cable burn in process that exactly aligns the magnetic flux with the ley line that passes through the nearby village of Denaby Main.
Note also the top-of-the-range proprietary "Krud-Kleen" 4-way mains distribution system, available from your local high-end boutique for the bargain price of... well actually if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#147 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:34 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:31 pm Note the green label on the plug, denoting that the lead has been subjected to a proprietary cable burn in process that exactly aligns the magnetic flux with the ley line that passes through the nearby village of Denaby Main.
Note also the top-of-the-range proprietary "Krud-Kleen" 4-way mains distribution system, available from your local high-end boutique for the bargain price of... well actually if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.
:mrgreen:
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#148 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#149 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Like :mrgreen:
chris661
Shed dweller

#150 Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by chris661 »

Ah yes, the phono to stereo 3.5mm jack to stereo 1/4" jack to pair of mono 1/4" jack to XLR(M) (left) and XLR(F) (right) to XLR splitter to get an XLR(M) output for the right channel.

Never leave home without it.

Chris